What about other guns that existed in Indy's timeframe ???

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

What about other guns that existed in Indy's timeframe ???

Post by micsteam »

I know everybody is fanatical about getting just the guns featured in the films but what about other guns that were available during Indy's adventures ??? Indy tended to use military surplus type weapons from WWI era and WWII era but there are quite a bit out there that I think are worth discussing. I'm a bit of a history buff and when it came time to purchase an Indy weapon I chose the S&W Hand Ejector but I didn't want to cut it down into a Bapty, I really wanted a piece of history as well. I was lucky enough to score a WWI BEF S&W HE in.45ACP and I love it ( I traced the personal inscription on the side plate to find out it had been to the Western Front to my amazement !!). What I'm getting at here is there is such a wealth of other guns out there that Indy could've come across or owned in his travels as (obvious in the films) he loses his sidearms as a result of his adventures. For example: everyone recently has been talking about the Webley WG model from Last Crusade but has anyone looked further into Webley's other revolvers ??? Granted models like the Fosberry are out of reach finacially but Webley had been producing revolvers for the British military and commercial markets for years leading up to the WG model. No one talks about the Remington 1875 New Army that Blanca pulls on Indy at the beginnig of Raiders, great gun Uberti makes replica's for under (I believe)$600.00 USD. Anyway there's soo much out there, whos' to say in the next movie/tv show (who knows !!!) Indy could be carrying a Webley Pryse or we could see Indy in South America in 1960 with a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum (I might be a tad early on this one) you get the picture. Food for thought....
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: What about other guns that existed in Indy's timeframe ?

Post by Texan Scott »

I could see him using some .38's, police surplus guns in a pinch. They've seemed to always be around, and for decades. He needs a small piece to carry in his bag as a back-up maybe?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

It's amazing to see just the handguns that were used in the films. Here is a list of all that were used:

The Handguns of Indiana Jones

Raiders of the Lost Ark
1. Smith & Wesson M1917 (shortened 4" barrel) [Indy].
2. Smith & Wesson Mk II Hand Ejector (shortened 4" barrel) [Indy].
3. FN Browning Hi-Power [Indy].
4. Inglis Hi-Power [Indy].
5. Walther P38 [Toht - Germans].
6. Luger P08 [Col. Dietrich - Germans].
7. Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" [Toht's Henchman - Marion Ravenwood].
8. Remington 1875 [Barranca].

Temple of Doom
9. Colt Official Police (4" barrel) [Indy - Willie Scott - Lao Che's Henchman - Thuggee].
10. Smith & Wesson Model 10 (5" barrel) “Stunt Double Gun” [Indy - Willie Scott].
11. Smith & Wesson Model 10 (Snub) [Lao Che's Henchman]
12. Smith & Wesson M&P 10-5 (3" barrel, smooth grips) [Wuhan].
13. Webley Mk III .38 Commercial Pocket Revolver (3" barrel, nickle) [Chen].
14. Smith & Wesson 32 Safety Hammerless "Lemon Squeezer" (pearl grips, nickle) [Kao Kan].

Last Crusade
15. Webley "WG" Army Model [Indy].
16. Walther PPK [Walter Donovan].
[5] Walther P38 [Germans - Indy].
[6] Luger P08 [Col. Vogel - Germans].
[7] Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" [Kazim - Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword].
17. Colt Single Action Army "Peacekeeper" (4 3/4" barrel) [Fedora's Henchman].

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
[15] Webley "WG" Army Model [Indy].
18. Tokarev TT-33 (Norinco type 54 model 213) [Col. Dr. Irena Spalko - Russians].
[3] FN Browning Hi-Power (adjustible sights) [George 'Mac' McHale].
19. Colt M1911A1 Government [Col. Dovchenko - Russians].

As we can see there were 19 different types of handguns used for the 4 films. Makes and models covered pieces from almost every continent and major manufacturer. But like you said there are alot more wonderful handguns out there from those time periods that Indy, his coherts, or enemys may have used!

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

micsteam wrote: but Webley had been producing revolvers for the British military and commercial markets for years leading up to the WG model.
Just a quick note on the above comment. The Webley WG was actually the forerunner of all those other great Webley revolvers made for the British military and commercial markets. The WG was one of the first in a long line of revolvers covering the MK I all the way to the MK VI.

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I agree Indiana Bond, Webley has an extensive history of interesting revolvers. I like black powder pieces as well like the 1851 Colt Navy or the 1847 Colt Walker or 1848 Colt Dragoon, especially the last two were man stoppers (they used them as well to kill buffalo !!) but we could see these pop up from time to time being that these were cheaper older pieces in Indy's time. Who's to say that Indy didn't carry a S&W .44 russian double action 1st model, this was a top break design as well and a good looking hefty piece.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I can absolutely see Indy grabbing an M1 Garand or even a 1903 for some heavy lifting if he needed it. I have a friend with an NFA MP40 hes gonna let me shoot in my Indygear in a few weeks. Anyone want us to film it?
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I think that would be great.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

ChrisMD wrote:I have a friend with an NFA MP40 hes gonna let me shoot in my Indygear in a few weeks. Anyone want us to film it?

Oh Yeah!!! Let's see that MP40!!! =P~