Where can I purchase a new Tony Nowack jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Where can I purchase a new Tony Nowack jacket?

Post by DiCatania »

I want to buy a new Tony Nowack Indy jacket. I really like the heavier leather look in the pictures I have seen. Does filmjackets.com sell them or who does? Thanks :-k
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Where can I purchase a new Tony Nowack jacket?

Post by fifthchamber »

You can't.....The Nowak shop shut, and while the website was up for a while, and announced it would be reopening sometime, it now redirects to filmjackets.com, so it's hard to know what's going on...

Riley is still making jackets, but for the bodybuilding shows and films I believe? Not for the general public...Which means that buying a new Tony Nowak isn't going to be possible until Riley re-opens the shop for public sales...

I'd just keep checking the website...Or send Riley a message and see if he can help you personally....Outside of that, secondhand jackets come up fairly regularly? Some of those are almost brand new too....

Regards...
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Ok. So where can I purchase an equivalent?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

If it is the pattern you are after, Bill Kelso makes a 1:1 copy of the Nowak.
However, if it's the heavy "dino-hide" shrunken lamb you are after, check out the Wested Crispe Lamb Hero
http://www.wested.com/special-indy-hero ... -512-p.asp

Wested's "Hero" is also a pretty decent copy of the Nowak pattern.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Has anyone ordered a jacket from filmjackets.com? :CR:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Quite a few members have. Me being one of them. Their Bruno/Surrogates jacket has been very popular. Admittedly they've had some issues with their production, but Rick has kept the communication going so I'm not worried about getting my jacket.

In fact, I just bought a Circular Reference/Looper jacket second hand that I know I'm going to love.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

There are also sometimes a few Tony Nowak (TNO) Jackets available here at C.O.W. in the Cairo Bazaar. I know there's a couple there right now, in fact.
So, if you're interested in buying from another Member, check in there every so often to see if you can find something in your measurements/style/price range.
Happy hunting.
:TOH:
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Thanks everyone. Filmjackets.com has the explorer 1 that I am looking at. I like the color and the cut. If anyone has ordered one of these, I would like to know what they think about the jacket. I guess it's between this one or a wested hero jacket. So many choices. I already own a wested raiders in goat but I am looking to add another. Thanks
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

If you are not going to pick up a Nowak jacket used, I would respectfully recommend the Wested Hero over the filmjackets deal. I too had a Wested authentic goat custom ordered back in 2007 and just in the last week received a Hero jacket from them in shrunken lamb. The difference in cut and the way the jacket hangs is night and day. Their Hero offering is far superior to anything they have had commercially available since making the jacket for HF. Peter tuned up his pattern off of a Nowak Raiders jacket for the Hero and has done an excellent job incorporating the necessary tweaks to get him back to what he provided originally for the movie. You have your choice of leathers and can specify your sleeve and body lengths as well as the lining makeup. No need to provide the old long list of old custom specs as they are already in there the way they are supposed to be and you won't come away with an odd jacket after putting in all that effort. You wanted THE jacket made by THE guy who made it for HF in Raiders and ended up with something that fell short. Your old Wested goat just didn't nail it like you hoped. It was a nice jacket but not what you saw on screen. This Hero will do it for you in a way you can appreciate if you have ordered from Wested before. It is the fulfillment of your original quest. I watch the movie and I see my jacket.

The veg tanned shrunken lamb option is off the website for now but there are other leathers that look good too. Check out the Hero thread for some nice pics. The upside to that is the cost is lower for the other options. It was about $380 USD shipped for my shrunken lamb but the other leather choices will be comparable to filmjackets price. Peter is semi-retired now and the Hero jacket was to be his swan song. It doesn't disappoint. Best of luck in your quest.
Fletch
Last edited by Fletch on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Thank you. I think I am going to go with the wested hero. Now I have to figure out which hide. I am not happy that they don't offer the veg tanned shrunkin lamb. I am looking for a little thicker hide, if any one can make a suggestion.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

They sometimes have left over leather from other projects. Might give them a call?
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

You all are great. Thanks for all your help. Does anyone have any info about wested Novapelle Copper brown? A few of the Tony Nowack jackets I have seen almost have a copper tone to them.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Love the stuff! If you are into more of a lighter toned brown cowhide, it is a great hide to have around. A good example of it in this thread:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... le#p740094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

DiCatania wrote:Thank you. I think I am going to go with the wested hero. Now I have to figure out which hide. I am not happy that they don't offer the veg tanned shrunkin lamb. I am looking for a little thicker hide, if any one can make a suggestion.
How much of a thicker hide are you looking for? I own a Wested Hero in the Crispe lambskin and it is a very substantial leather that is thick enough for me. The only problem is that it is a extremely grainy leather, perhaps even a little over the top. I have worn it for over a year now, so it looks weathered in some parts. Let me know if you would like to see any photos.

-Bdgsi11
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I took a look at the thread on the copper Novapelle. I am sold. That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks again everybody. I am going to order my Wested Hero jacket in copper Novapelle. I love Club Obi Wan!!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Congratulations (in advance!) and enjoy the new Jacket!
:D
(And don't forget to post a few photos here once you've got it in hand)

All the Best, friend!
:TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Indeed! Please do post it up when it arrives!

Wested only recently ran out of the Shrunken Lamb sadly..But I'd like to see what the Novapelle looks like with the Hero pattern! That sounds like a good idea if I'm honest....I like the richer browns used in the Novapelle...

Mine is in the Seal Brown, and is a lovely Indy jacket...I own (and have owned) several, but the Hero is still my favourite, and that's with a Nowak in the mix (Although I admit I'm more in love with the pattern...A Nowak in the Raiders pattern, with the skins he used to find? Yeah...I'd have that as my favourite...)....So the Wested Hero is a solid bet....

I'd like to see the colours and effect of the Novapelle....Please DO post some photos up when it arrives! :TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

For comparison, here is the regular novapelle after a few years TLC.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Nice!
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I will definitely post pictures when I get it. I also just ordered a Joe Strain 16 plait ten foot Crystal skull whip. I will post pictures of both when I get them.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Hey, Jeff...hope you enjoy that Circular Reference jacket, mate!

I know you will....wondered if that was you that bought it ;)

Thanks, dude! :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sure was me! Hard to keep track of people with different user names across different sites.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff