Check out my latest!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Check out my latest!

Post by Gorak »

I just recieved my new aquisition from Etsy. It is an old Stetson Homberg. Love the color and the crown is very soft. It will go great with my new dark brown Inverness coat that I have coming too! Really great condition with a battered old Stetson hatbox. $100. Very happy with it. :D :D :D :D
unbashed
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091500.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bashed
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091748.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091856.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
back
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091843.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
inside
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091824.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in keeping with Indygear I believe Indy was suppose to have worn one in the Zepplin Hanger scene in Last Crusade but it was cut from the film.
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Check out my latest!

Post by pdraycott »

Nice!! I like your Mr.Potato Head too! :whip:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Nice acquisition! Don't change a thing on it! ;)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Smashing, my good man! Simply, smashing! That is one fine looking hat! I think I would be tempted to insure that one :clap: ! W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

That's a beauty. Take care of it and don't change anything.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's really nice. I was just looking at homburgs on Etsy, but none were in my size.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thanks guys, no worries..not changing a thing. I fell in love with the shape and color just as it was and when it fit perfect, I knew it was perfect for me! :H:
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Nice one! I snagged a sweet practically new (if it's been worn, I can't tell) beaver Churchill Ltd. homberg from eBay for about $40 a couple of weeks ago. Came in a pretty decent, very sturdy hat box, too -- which was a huge plus considering it got trapped in post office purgatory for about 4 weeks and the cardboard box was crushed when it arrived. ;)

At first my girlfriend wasn't sure about the style, but I think it's winning her over. I think it's a cool alternative to all of my other fedoras.

Question for you hat guys out there: Is it considered a faux pas to put a gentle front pinch on a homberg? I've toyed with mine with and without and I can't decide which I like better...
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Traditionally Homburgs have only a center "gutter" crease down the length of the crown. I have seen them with very slight side indentations, but not the front side creases of a typical fedora.

My dad used to wear one to work in the 50s. I still have his. It's still in perfect shape AND it fits.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:Traditionally Homburgs have only a center "gutter" crease down the length of the crown. I have seen them with very slight side indentations, but not the front side creases of a typical fedora.
Yeah, I was curious because I almost always see them with just the crease down the top. But I have seen them every once in a while with a slight front pinch, too.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

My other gear passion is Victorian London Period clothing and while the Hombergs were just considered normal without bashes, I have come across many photos of the crown bashed in a very loose pinch. For me, personally, no bash just screams "pimp" where as a rumpled bash is more Al Capone or vintage style.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Gorak wrote:Thanks guys, no worries..not changing a thing. I fell in love with the shape and color just as it was and when it fit perfect, I knew it was perfect for me! :H:
Good man!

bink, President of the Don't Cut Up Vintage Hats Society.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I believe the variant with a front pinch was typically called a "Lord's Hat" and had an unbound brim, even though it had the same "kettle curl" brim. They look the same otherwise.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Now THAT I did not know......cool. Always learning around here! :H:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I prefer the front pinch (very slight, but there), as opposed to without! Looks much more victorian and stylish to me and takes away the 'pimp' or 'gangster' looks to me. Example I see Sherlock Holmes with a mild front pinch, but I do not see Louie The Lug with one! Just my two cents. W>
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Holmes as in the Downey Jr. Holmes?

I think his hat was really anachronistic for that movie. Jude Law's Cambridge Bowler/Bowker hat was a far more common look, along with the Derby (with the proper D'Orsay curl) for a Victorian time period. I doubt such a hat would have even existed in the Victorian period.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

jlee562 wrote:Holmes as in the Downey Jr. Holmes?

I think his hat was really anachronistic for that movie. Jude Law's Cambridge Bowler/Bowker hat was a far more common look, along with the Derby (with the proper D'Orsay curl) for a Victorian time period. I doubt such a hat would have even existed in the Victorian period.
I have seen some other Sherlockian films with said pinch in homborgs. Also, if I recall, it seems to me that I have also seen some victorian period drawings and art works that indicated indentions on hats of this type as well. Plus old photos I recall of folks in the last turn of the century with the look. Maybe, I am imagining all of this, but I don't think so and even if I am, I still think it looks better that way, then without. Just personal taste, I suppose. I used to have a one in charcoal grey that had the pinch (disappeared during a divorce and never saw it again), and I really loved that hat. I have been keeping my eyes open for sometime for the perfect look in this style hat for me, but still have not found one I truly like. W>
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Being a hardcore Ripperologist, I have several books with photographs from the time period and while top hats, bowlers, and derbys were all the rage, the hombergs that I can see usually have a pinch of one sort or another.
I originially was hooked in the look when I first saw Moulin Rouge with Ewan Mcgregor. Loved the male cast wardrobe in that film.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Oh, no, no, I wasn't talking about a pinched Homburg. That's fairly common, and actually, I quite like the look myself.

I was referring to the Downey Jr. Holmes widebrim fedora from the first film...maybe we're thinking of different hats.

It does have a very Homburg like crown, but the brim is totally flat. IIRC, it was custom made by Lock Hatters.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

jlee562 wrote:Oh, no, no, I wasn't talking about a pinched Homburg. That's fairly common, and actually, I quite like the look myself.

I was referring to the Downey Jr. Holmes widebrim fedora from the first film...maybe we're thinking of different hats.

It does have a very Homburg like crown, but the brim is totally flat. IIRC, it was custom made by Lock Hatters.
I'm not sure about the Lock Hatters. I contacted them about the hat, and the most they said was that they know that RDJ had bought some of their hats for his normal use, but they neither confirmed nor denied if that was their hat in the movie.

I love how in the first Sherlock holes they attempted to give him a very eclectic way of dressing but too many people complained so in the second he dressed much more period.....
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

jlee562 wrote:Oh, no, no, I wasn't talking about a pinched Homburg. That's fairly common, and actually, I quite like the look myself.

Aye, I see. And, agreed, that hat probably was not period in any way, but I do kinda like the hat. It has a very unusual quirkyness about it that is somewhat of a cross between a fedora and one of John Wane's Cavalry hats with the turned up brim (front and back)! Odd, but interesting to say the least. However, the homburg worn in the second movie is truly awesome! W>

Editted, because I can't spell for beans. Write -- yes, spell, no! W>
Last edited by WConly on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

backstagejack wrote:

I'm not sure about the Lock Hatters. I contacted them about the hat, and the most they said was that they know that RDJ had bought some of their hats for his normal use, but they neither confirmed nor denied if that was their hat in the movie.

I love how in the first Sherlock holes they attempted to give him a very eclectic way of dressing but too many people complained so in the second he dressed much more period.....
Well, I read of it on the Fedora Lounge and I tracked down the thread, which had this article linked to it:
http://blog.moviefone.com/2009/05/06/ne ... ock-holmes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We also learn that Holmes is a man who often forgets his gun -- and who wears a snappy fedora. Even though there's been a lot of silly emotion surrounding the deerstalker, the story of the hat is pretty cool. It was hand-picked by Downey Jr. from the Lock and Co hat shop, something Ritchie encouraged. "I wanted something more aesthetically pleasing and plausible and more rewarding to look at. I quite like deerstalkers, but there is only one person in history who ever wore one. [This fedora] is sort of authentic to the era, and Robert was very passionate about it." The bum bag (we'll avoid the non-UK friendly description) is for his detective gear.
That's the best I could do, I googled for other references, but didn't turn up much other than a thread on F&G which speculated that it might be a Lock "Superfelt" with a wider brim. Whatever it is, it isn't on Lock's website.

Then there was a post later in the thread in which someone from Lock told another member that it was a Homburg which had its brim flattened....this I'm not so sure about.

But here's the Lock Homburg: http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Homburg-details.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although...you know, that might be the case.....

Looking at Jude's hat is really making me want a Cambridge bowler....
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

You know, the more I look at the 'screen cap' and the photo of the Lock Homburg, it is possible! One just has to open up the mind's eye to focus on the width of the brim, were it not curled. I have to admit, that I would never have that this to be the possibility to the origin of the 'Sherlock 1 hat,' but, then again -- why not? W>
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I was going thru my hats in storage to see what to let go of and found my summer work hat...my David Morgan Akubra Slouch hat. I use this for yard work and outdoors activities and never realized how distressed it has become and looking as if it has been on several adventures....I figured you guys could appreciate it...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 8030-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 5030-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 7128-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 4599-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Hey! Another nice hat! I like that. Looking at the pics here, I would take it that the colour is O.D.? Sharp hat. I don't recall ever seeing (or, at least noticing) that one on the Morgan site. Thanks for sharing. W>
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thank you sir, it is actually marketed as "British Kakhi" and actually does look light brown most of the time. Kinda like some of those Feds that have that greenish tinge. I wore it today although you can see it didnt match what i had on but it was fun and now i am looking at finding some other "puggaree's" and convert a hat or two in a different color.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Gorak wrote:Thank you sir, it is actually marketed as "British Kakhi" and actually does look light brown most of the time. Kinda like some of those Feds that have that greenish tinge. I wore it today although you can see it didnt match what i had on but it was fun and now i am looking at finding some other "puggaree's" and convert a hat or two in a different color.
Just wondered! On my screen, I see a lot of green(s), as you notate. Thus, the question! That really looks good on you! I can almost picture you riding (really, historically, it was mostly running) up San Juan Hill with Teddy Roosevelt 8) ! Reminds me a tiny bit of the campaign style hats worn during that period, expect for the 'puggaree.' W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

...just to add, I just looked the hat up on Morgan's site -- like your style of bash, much better then the standard-style of bash, they suggest on the site! W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Hey Gorak! Here is a site with some interesting info and slouch hats as well. You got me going on this puggaree-gig! http://www.lawranceordnance.com/informa ... _bands.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; W>
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Very nice vintage Homburg Gorak. Unusually full crown. Great color and ribbon.
I have the same Akubra slouch, which can't be beat for wide brim sun protection and durablility.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Hey 3thoubucks-Long time no see! Good to see your still around! Always loved your adventures on these darn hats! :TOH:

I was so excited from finding my Slouch again that I decided to make a couple of more safari hats out of some spares I had lying around! I took a Resistol Cowboy hat that had a wide brim and an open crown...with the supposed 8xxxx beaver for about $60 on sale and trimmed the brim
and bought an old linen dress at Goodwill for $2 and here are the results.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... f67b34.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hat on the mannequin head is the hat. The grey cowboy hat in front is exactly what the brown one looked like before I reshaped it. As you can see the, grey one is next on the chopping block :D
I already trimmed the brim down abit.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 899e82.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other hat on the table is a Stetson Austral I just aquired but I am having trouble making it look good on me. I put a new ribbon on it and trimmed the 4 inch brim down and while I like the crown shape, it just looks a little odd on my head so I will have to rethink where I go with that hat.
I need to figure out how to make my own puggaree especially on the ends but so far, the locals really like it. What do you guys think?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I really like that Slouch conversion! It just looks so... right. :mrgreen: