Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

mtrixman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Question: Harrison Ford Leather Jacket Dimensions RoTLA

Post by mtrixman »

Hi all,

I've been a long time indy fan and finally decided to get some of his famous gear. I wanted to get a Wested Hero jacket both for one that fits in my size as well as one that was the same size as Harrison Ford in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. I read that his chest size was 40 but wasn't sure what the sleeve and back lengths were. I emailed Peter / Gemma on the same but thought I would at least try here to see if anyone knew already

Also, I was planning on getting the standard Hero jacket in seal brown lambskin. Does anyone know if this was the same material used in the movies? I see a lot of people getting shruken lambskin so wanted to double check

Thanks in advance!!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Question: Harrison Ford Leather Jacket Dimensions RoTLA

Post by Texan Scott »

Best thing is to do some research, and I would point you to the Main Page (Indygear Main) on the Raiders jacket, for an overview. Then check out the Archives sub-forum. There you will find a Tony Nowak thread about the 1:1 copies he made. Another interesting thread in the Archives is the Raiders Screen Used fedora. Then you might try the Wested Hero thread in order to get a perspective on the Hero reproductions, leathers and misc info.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yep, this answer has been posted a few times. It was Asiana Jones who posted the original copy. And the basic measurements have been quoted around.Peter wouldn't know as he had to use fan feedback to get his patterns accurate.

As I recall back and front length are 23 inches; other than the short length I think it's closer to a 42.
mtrixman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mtrixman »

Thanks for all the feedback. I looked up Arisana's thread and found the measurements!

in case others wanted to know the same, it's

Front Flap w/ Collar Stand vertically from bottom to top: 23"
Shoulder from sleeve seam to collar seam: ~7"
Sleeves from cuff to sleeve seam: between 25 1/2" to 25 3/4"
Back vertical length from Collar Stand to Lower back panel: 23"
Chest width: 22 1/2"
Waist width: 21 1/2"
Pockets: 8" x 6.5" (Crystal Skull Pocket for comparison: 7.5" x 6")
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

mtrixman,

I ordered a Wested Hero in size 42 and the measurements ended up being dead on to those given for the TN #000 (the same measurements in your last post).
mtrixman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mtrixman »

Thanks! That's very helpful and will be sure to do the same

I emailed Gemma and she mentioned that the hero jackets have the x-box stitching I've read a lot of people requested. Did yours come with this x-box stitching on your side straps? I'm worried that it will come out wrong if I just order the jacket without specifying

Thanks again!
kwad wrote:mtrixman,

I ordered a Wested Hero in size 42 and the measurements ended up being dead on to those given for the TN #000 (the same measurements in your last post).
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

mtrixman wrote:Thanks! That's very helpful and will be sure to do the same

I emailed Gemma and she mentioned that the hero jackets have the x-box stitching I've read a lot of people requested. Did yours come with this x-box stitching on your side straps? I'm worried that it will come out wrong if I just order the jacket without specifying

Thanks again!

She might be misusing the term. The Wested Hero jacket has, and should have 'K' box stitching. 'X' boxes came from us misreading the screencaps.

By the way that is a buckle that I supplied to them, I like them better than the sliding T-Bar style. But that's just me. It's hand painted so the paint chips easily. I never got round to getting some powder coated.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Well, as I understand it the Hero is based on a Tony Nowak copy so that's hardly surprising. It has only been in recent years that the Westeds have begun to look like the film jacket.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

That's a great idea, KT. I wish they could use some like those. Good call.