Which maker best reproduces the look on film?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Todd's Standard
7%
Todd's Custom
No votes
US Wings Striated Lamb or Legend
5%
Wested Raiders, RoLA or Hero
26%
Magnoli
No votes
Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes
12%
Tony nowak
19%
Bill Kelso
26%
Steele and Jones
5%
Other...
No votes

Total votes: 42

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

People have their favorites, but in your opinion, which maker best reproduces the look of the Raiders jacket as seen on film?
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

I think the BK Relic hunter nails it with the Todd's a close second.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Which maker best reproduces the look on film?

Post by trdaggers »

I think I like the BK best but all the jackets are really nice. For the money the Todd's is a great value.

Gailen :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

IMO, Kelso is the tops with Wested coming in at a close second.

I look forward to seeing more of the Steele & Jones' jacket once they start hitting the streets.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

..if I could just see them on a person, I'd be happy! :P
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Man this is a hard one :-k

When I started coming to this site it was either a Wested or G&B. Then along came Tony and his SL Raiders which was a game changer IMO. I like the BK a lot but the Steel & Jones in the original leather is what I really dig... Now ;)

I've got to say that with all the offerings we have now, its a really good time to be a fan.
(Sorry Tex, I couldn't pick three, or five in the poll) :lol:

:TOH:
-The Dude
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Not wanting to be controversial but to me it's all of them and none of them. Depending on the photo of the jacket, the wear it has, the angle, light, color and depending on the shot from the movie, any jacket can look like the film jacket. Some less so because of pocket sizing issues, etc. But for me most of them look good enough to reproduce the film look. The movie doesn't always show off the jacket all that well anyway so the whole comparison thing's a bit of a crapshoot :TOH:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

CM wrote:Not wanting to be controversial but to me it's all of them and none of them. Depending on the photo of the jacket, the wear it has, the angle, light, color and depending on the shot from the movie, any jacket can look like the film jacket. Some less so because of pocket sizing issues, etc. But for me most of them look good enough to reproduce the film look. The movie doesn't always show off the jacket all that well anyway so the whole comparison thing's a bit of a crapshoot :TOH:
Nothing controversial about what you said there :TOH:

I agree somewhat, besides beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. As anyone can see by looking through the 1,000+ pages of jacket threads EVERY jacket maker (flavor of the week) has hit a sweet spot with the folks around here at one time or another.

I'm sure in the next few years something new will be pointed out and make every other jacket obsolete until the next time :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have to admit that sometimes I'm at odds with this repro jacket that costs $850. I mean, how much is too much, or over the top, etc., and did I really need such a repro?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

"We" were the ones who pushed the price up that high though eh?

By demanding better and better accuracy we made it so that your average "standard" models aren't quite "right" for us, so the makers have to work harder on design, harder on materials, and harder on production in order to give us what we wanted all along.....I have no problem with people like Kelso charging that much...Or Nowak...I can't afford it, but they're well worth the cost...

On my level, the Wested is the best...But that's only because I can't buy any of the higher priced jackets..If I'd seen them, and they were cheaper, I'd probably go for the Kelso too...

Todds is the best at the lower end of the spectrum...Perfect for what you pay...Wested in the middle ground, and Kelso at the top since Nowak closed...(Nowak still rule though..And are owed a lot for the work put in getting us all to where we are now..)

It's all a big repeating circle..LOL
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Wested Co. but they need to find tough but thin lamb brown,the original maker...although Todd´s not far behind..as long as the desing is right, as in off-the-shoulders and such... :-k :anxious: :shock:
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

It's hard to say unless you had the benefit of trying all of them.

I have always had Wested jackets......as they are UK based and the Raiders connection with Peter sold it for me.

I have heard great things about Todds and G&B too.

It depends on your individual build, the scenes you like and the lighting conditions. Personal preferences will always differ.

Gonna have to say Wested as they are all that I know. :TOH:

Colin
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Having examined this thread and the many things I could comment on I thought I would speak just in terms of jackets I've owned and photographed. Recently my fiancé and I did our own engagement photos. We are both photographers so it seemed natural we could capture them on our own. In one of the shots I chose to wear my US Wings steer hide Legend. When you look at the jacket in person it tends to look rather light. However, after the photos were color corrected one can see a distinct difference. There has been discussion about the camera and it's effect on the wardrobe before. The steer hide ended up having a rather rich brown color once the photo was color corrected. The lighter areas of distressing stood out beautifully. I just wanted to take a moment to comment on the effects of photography on such things.