Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

spittle8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Question on a few jackets

Post by spittle8 »

Hello!

I'm looking for a non-SA jacket, and I'm frozen with indecision now. I had been settled on a Wested custom LC in goatskin, but now I've read enough to doubt the build quality of the Wested, and I live very near to the Gibson & Barnes factory/storefront.

Here is what I'm looking for...

- A durable, well-built jacket with strong stitching and quality leather that will last a long time, and handle heavy wear and use in all weather, from heavy rain and snow to sand storms.

- Hidden side-entry handwarmer pockets.

- Two inside pockets. The first (left) needs to be slanted sideways, as opposed to parallel with the deck as in a wallet pocket, as I will use the jacket for lawful concealed carry of a pistol for security work.

- The zipper has to be the real deal and built to endure abuse.

- Hidden snaps on collar.

- Gussets, or good range-of-motion in the arms.

I've considered a nice cowhide, but I'm enamored with goatskin, currently. I went to the San Diego Leather company (http://www.leather.com/mens_aviation/indy.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and was satisfied with their jackets. They had the side-entry inner left pocket which I need as standard, in addition to an additional wallet pocket. Gibson & Barnes told me they could not implement a side-entry pocket as it would require an inside-facing leather. Additionally, another wallet pocket through Gibson & Barnes would cost $50, which I find pretty exorbitant on top of a jacket that is already over $500. The G&B also did not strike me as being qualitatively superior to the San Diego Leather jacket, and I noticed some loose stitching on the back straps on one of the G&B jackets I looked at, which shocked me.

Is seal brown goatskin as tough and durable as brown goatskin?

I ask the collective wisdom of this forum: how tough is a G&B expedition in goatskin? How tough is a Wested LC in goatskin? Does anyone have any experience with the San Diego Leather jacket? Does anyone know if Wested can make a jacket with the side-entry left pocket?

I had a handsome jacket, but it is important that it is durable and will serve me as an all-weather jacket without falling apart in five years.

Thank you,

- spittle
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Question on a few jackets

Post by trdaggers »

You want tough, the you want a Gibson & Barnes!

Gailen :TOH:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

What he said!

LJT
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Since you're near the factory, make a visit. You'll be sold.

Oh, and goatskin is goatskin, so toughness and durability is exactly the same regarding the two you asked about.

Some of us have been wearing our G&B Expeditions for 13 years with no problems what so ever, and in all weather and conditions. They're field used and time tested. They last.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

spittle8 wrote:Hello!

I'm looking for a non-SA jacket, and I'm frozen with indecision now. I had been settled on a Wested custom LC in goatskin, but now I've read enough to doubt the build quality of the Wested, and I live very near to the Gibson & Barnes factory/storefront.

Here is what I'm looking for...

- spittle

You basically answered your own question....G&B

The EXP. is not LC, but for around $300, if you really want a LC type jacket, you can spec one with Wested in whatever leather you wish. The G&B's tend to be somewhat of a relaxed fit jacket, so other than the wide yoke and pocket flaps, and a few other details that you would need to split hairs to spec yourself, you are in there. Still the G&B meets most of your criteria, and since you are close...its a no-brainer.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have to echo what's already be said. When I read this
- A durable, well-built jacket with strong stitching and quality leather that will last a long time, and handle heavy wear and use in all weather, from heavy rain and snow to sand storms.
my first thought was G&B, especially since you aren't worried about every last stitch being SA. I understand your concern about having to pay extra for the interior pocket, but if you are talking about a jacket that's going to last for well over a decade (based on members' experience to date) than that extra money is worth it over the life of the jacket.

If I read correctly G&B will not be able to include the pocket you want for your CC, but I'm not sure any other maker would be able too either and would likely still be an extra charge since it's not a standard item.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yep. Get a G&B. One of the strongest, best built and stitched leather jackets I have owned, and I have owned dozens. And it's very, very close to the the movie jacket pattern - not that you care... ;) Had a Wested - sold it.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Surely there are more purpose-built jackets for Pistol-carrying security work than a replica Indiana Jones jacket?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They work well for shoulder holster carry, but I'm not a fan of the design for belt carry, as the side slits were specificially designed to be out of the way for holster acquistion. There's nothing 'hidden' about the design when it comes to that function, that's for sure.

Regards! Michaelson
spittle8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by spittle8 »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Surely there are more purpose-built jackets for Pistol-carrying security work than a replica Indiana Jones jacket?
Of course! I don't want to buy two jackets, though.

I'll give G&B another look, I think I've ruled out Wested, though. The San Diego Leather jacket was very nice and had everything I needed, no reason to bother with the Wested then.

Thanks everyone!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Don't forget about US Wings! Tough as nails, more leather choices, more paterns, less money, and you could probably have sarge add the pockets you need... My2cents
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, but once again you are contending with the concealed weapon problem and the side slits that are on ALL Indy jackets.

While at G&B, I recommend you check out the 'Raider' style jacket....and that's its name...'The Raider'.

It may suit your needs too. More 'A2' in styling, but more functions.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293986/Raider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I understand exactly what he's asking about, my friend. :-s

I 'carry' myself, and am just offering all angles to consider....as even with the idea of a special inside slanted pocket, the Expedition is designed to 'slide' off the shoulders for the Raiders look, just like the film. (look at your own avatar, Michael ;) )

The last thing you want is a weapon in an inside pocket pulling harder on one side than the other due to the added weight. You'd be constantly fighting to keep the jacket straight anytime you unzip the jacket.

Wings tried the design and gave up after one try. The Raiders pattern just isn't condusive to that kind of inside concealment pocket.

Something along the design of the 'Raider' would be more stable of a platform for that type design.

Just 'say'n.

Regards! M
spittle8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by spittle8 »

Sorry I wasn't clear - it would indeed be for inside pocket carry. I can always carry IWB or with a shoulder rig, but home for me is Detroit and I'd like to have a simple, concealable, and quick option for my carry weapon, which is a miniscule Kel Tec P11. I carried a Beretta on my thigh at work for years, but inside jacket pocket carry is quick and convenient enough not to slow me down when I'm back home.

I'm not an expert on jacket construction, so the San Diego Leather jacket may not be as nice as the G&B, I just can't be sure. This is maddening. I'll have to take another look at both. Thanks again for your help, everyone!
spittle8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by spittle8 »

Absolutely! I made the trip to both locations already, but not on the same day, and I wanted an excuse to go again and make up my mind now that Wested is out of the question. I really ought to speak to one of the tailor's at G&B, as the sales associate was unsure as to whether they could make the modifications I wanted.

I'm on leave now until the seventh, so any time should work for me. You can reach me at 313-671-5430. Thanks,

- Ross
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You two definitely need to get together. You'll probably find you have a LOT in common. :M: :tup:

As to the inside pocket carry, the reason I knew what he was interested in is I own and for years have worn a nylon Korean War flight jacket that was my Grandfathers that has two inside canvas lined angled snap pockets that were specifically made to hold Colt .45 ACP's.

Should they find themselves in a 'behind the lines' situation, these pockets were there so they could toss the gun belt or shoulder holster and ammo pouch away and be able to shove pistol in one inside pocket and ammo in the other, keeping it all within the jacket and reducing carry weight.

(a point of reference....there's a 1950's Korean War /Air Force film, "The Hunters", starting Robert Mitchum that has his Sabre jet shot down behind enemy lines, and you can actually SEE him use this feature on his flight jacket, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunters_(1958_film" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) )

I have NO clue why I remember @#$% like this....but I do...and usually I can't recall where I set down my own coffee cup most mornings. #-o ;)

Good design, but requires the type pattern that distributes the weight of the entire jacket load across the shoulders......which is contrary to the Expedition design.

Regards! Michaelson
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

I have to agree with Michaelson here (as usual) , an Indy style jacket is not really the best choice for CC. Are you sure you want to limit your choice to leather jackets only? I just picked up an Outback oilskin jacket at Christmas and it came with a CC pocket built in. It has an elasticized holster and two mag holders as standard equipment. Lightly insulated, a few inches longer than an Indy but with snap close side slits. It'll work for a 3 season jacket, easy access to the integral pocket, or a belt holster, and only cost me $200.00 on sale. These are tough jackets and will last a lot of years. I'm in Canada so I can't carry, but I do shoot and have loaded up the jacket, just to check it out, hangs well and isn't obvious. Just a thought.

Now back to your regular scheduled thread, Brian
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...I remember my coffee, I just forget where I put my leather jacket. #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I know I'm straying farther afield, but as an added suggestion, I recent got a 5.11 Torrent jacket. They are purpose built for CC with deep inside pockets and built in MOLLE inside lining. Not a leather jacket, but thought I'd throw one more suggestion on the heap.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

I know I'm coming to the party a little late, but I have a little practical knowledge here. One of my carry sidearms is a Ruger LC9, which is pretty close to the Kel-tec you are talking about. I don't have a special pocket in my Expo, but I have carried it a couple of times in one of the flap pockets and once in the inside pocket. I just have to say that I don't recommend it. It really does weigh down one side of the jacket. Uncomfortably so. Also, if you wear anything under the jacket that makes it fit snug you are going to print like crazy if you zip it up. Also, it prevents you from pretty much ever taking the jacket off (like in a restaurant or whatever) because then you are no longer technically in control of the firearm. To each their own, but I don't like to have to grab my jacket to go to the restroom (or make excuses for why I am if I'm out with folks that don't know I'm carrying). Add to that that pistols tend to rotate in pockets -- since most of the weight is in the butt of the pistol -- and you may be surprised how insanely difficult it is to access, especially in a hurry. All in all, I found it to be an extremely inefficient and inconvenient method of carry. I absolutely LOVE my G&B Expo, but a holster it ain't. Unless it is designed specifically for that purpose, I would say no jacket is. Just my 2 cents.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

I used to carry my P11 in my front pocket. With the little pocket holster I had it looked like a cell phone. My 2c on carrying that gun. Now I carry a PPK/S on my ankle or belt depending on jacket.
spittle8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by spittle8 »

I visited the G&B storefront with Tundraraider, and he was kind enough to let me try on his jacket. This allowed me to settle on a size - 44T, same as Tundraraider's. Not as tall as he, but I like long-fitting jackets with long sleeves. Finally got away from work long enough to contact G&B about a custom jacket! Wish me luck.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...rumor has it that Tundy is 5' 7" 1/2... :P