My Mauser built WWII P-38

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My Mauser built WWII P-38

Post by Trebor »

The P-38 has a long association with the Indy movies. It was used by various Germans in "Raiders" (even though it wouldn't have been around yet) and it's the pistol Indy used to shoot through three Germans in "Last Crusade."

The P38 is a double action 9mm with an 8 round mag specifically designed to be easier and cheaper to produce then the Luger P08. It never completely replaced the Luger in German service.

Here's my WWII P-38 I picked up from FGS Sales a few years ago. IIRC, I paid $389 for the pistol and $25 for a second mag (should have got one more).

This is one of the "Russian capture" pistols sold off as surplus over the last decade. When you capture entire Army Groups you don't just capture firearms in onesies - twosies as a couple guys in a foxhole raise their hands: At that scale you also capture supply depots and warehouses. Some of these pistols were near new when captured.

The Soviets dip blued them all and then stuck them in long term storage. They came on the market about 8 or 10 years ago now. The initial batch dried up, but SOG has some now, although at a higher cost and not as nice a condition.

Mine is marked "BYF 43" meaning it was built by Mauser in 1943. The mags are also Mauser made. All the parts, including the locking block, are serial numbered to the gun. (The mags are unnumbered).

The gun functions great with most ammo, but won't reliably feed if the OAL is too short. I've found the newer 9mm Federal ammo from Wal Mart is shorter than the Winchester White Box stuff and the only way I can get it to feed the first round is to lock the slide back and use the slide release to chamber a round. It works fine with WWB and all other 9mm FMJ I've fired with it though.

I find the P-38 sights easier to see and use then the sights on a actual WWII 1911A1 or most other handguns of that era. The DA trigger is a little heavy, but reasonably smooth, and the SA trigger is actually pretty nice.

As you can see from the target it will put them all in the kill zone at 25 yards. I have plenty of modern handguns, so this one will only ever see range use. It's a nice piece of history and fills a spot both in my WWII collection and my Indy guns collection.

kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My Mauser built WWII P-38

Post by kwad »

Very nice. I've got a byf42 myself, but mine has a mismatched frame (it was renumbered to match the slide) They seem to all be ammo sensitive. Mine will only run reliably with Winnie White Box.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

You guys make me angry. When I was young and dumb (2 years ago) I had a HUGE car payment and was between jobs. I was at the Allentown PA gunshow and had $3500 in my pocket from selling a few Japanese swords. I was holding a P38 in one hand and a BEAUTIFUL P08 in the other. The voice of reason told me to use the money for bills. Im still angry. I shoulda been reckless and gotten em!

Great pistol sir!
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Great P38! I wish I can get one in the near future as companion for my DWM P08
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I would love to have a P08 to go with my P38 (especially the Navy version with the 6" barrel =P~ ).
Oh well. Until then, if I squint my eyes and cock my head to side, and the lighting is dim, my Ruger MKIII kinda almost looks like a Luger. :lol:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

kwad wrote:I would love to have a P08 to go with my P38 (especially the Navy version with the 6" barrel =P~ ).
Oh well. Until then, if I squint my eyes and cock my head to side, and the lighting is dim, my Ruger MKIII kinda almost looks like a Luger. :lol:

I never seen a Navy Luger in person but they are awesome. I actually held a 100% matching Artillery Luger a few years ago. That was cool! I felt special to hold such a sought after piece. Think, Indy holding the first Sankara Stone, that was the expression on my face hahaha.
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Nice P-38 you have there :TOH: . I have a Spandau Arsenal one my dad brought back they are great guns and fun to shoot.