What is the best Last Crusade fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What is the best Last Crusade fedora?

Post by Clipper »

Hey guys!

I've always been a big fan of the last crusade fedora and am finally looking to buy the most screen acurate lid I can get (I'd also like to get an LC jacket soon too). I have a fed IV now and an AB that has been on order for years... but now I'm looking at getting either an AB Henry, an advintage HJ or a penman crusader. Are there other options? Pics would be great!

I have heard nothing but good things from the Henry but I'm not sure the specs will give me the look I want since the Henry is more to raiders specs. I'm leaning towards a penman crusader, since it is a gorgeous hat, but I feel like its a bit too dark for a SA look. I love the sable color of the HJ and I think the AB nails that. But again, without seeing any of these in person I'm reaching out to you all for help.

Thanks in advance!
Tom
Last edited by Clipper on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: What is the best Last Crusade fedora?

Post by Texan Scott »

1BAT4U wrote:Hey guys!

I've always been a big fan of the last crusade fedora and am finally looking to buy the most screen acurate lid I can get (I'd also like to get an LC jacket soon too). I have a fed IV now and an AB that has been on order for years... but now I'm looking at getting either an AB Henry, an advintage HJ or a penman crusader. Are there other options? Pics would be great!

I have heard nothing but good things from the Henry but I'm not sure the specs will give me the look I want since the Henry is more to raiders specs. I'm leaning towards a penman crusader, since it is a gorgeous hat, but I feel like its a bit too dark for a SA look. I love the sable color of the HJ and I think the AB nails that. But again, without seeing any of these in person I'm reaching out to you all for help.

Thanks in advance!
Tom
If you are a stickler for the color, then here is one budget suggestion:
http://www.topsecrethats.com/Trilbys-an ... elt-Fedora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the Henry was discontinued?

Best made, try Johhny's Crusader. Color fades from the new hat look over time and use.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Thanks for that link, but I think I'm looking for something of a little higher-quality. I just started watching last Crusade on blu ray and now I don't think that the penman's color is off at all. That's definitely the one I'm leaning toward.

Does anyone know the differences in specs of the Henry vs. the crusader?

Oh and to answer your question I believe a few Henry's are still available from penman hats but I could be wrong.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Having just ordered my second Penman, I'd entirely agree with your choice there.....John's work is above all others....

I'm sure he'd comment on the felt he uses better, and yes, I'd agree that they look darker initially...But with use I've seen the colours change rather amazingly actually..Brand new I would say it's closer to the Fed IV colouring? (I don't own one yet, so I'm going on photos), but a few months or more down the line it changes to a lighter brown...

I'd also be interested in hearing from John about what he feels about his felt in comparison to the ones used by Steve....

But even with the colouring, I'd proffer John as the hatter to run with..He's brilliant.

(If you're looking for something on the cheaper end, I'd suggest Steele & Jones too....They've been doing some great work recently..)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Steve and I use the same felt. Steve originally picked the color he uses knowing that all felt fades a little over the first year. So right out of the box it is a tad darker but in the long run will remain SA in color.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Amazing! Thanks!

So is the brim shorter on the crusader compared to the Henry?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Can't really answer that without what your measurements. One, the Henry specs change according to hat size. Unlike any other off the rack hats which are normally one size specs for every size. Two a custom hat from me is exactly that. Just an FYI, that the specs can only be adjusted slightly before they don't look like what you are shooting for. I know, more information than you wanted to know but I can go on with this stuff.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I'd suspected that, but wanted to get John to say it..Thank you Sir...

They all look absolutely lovely...Design wise spot on, and I rather like the fact that John plans for the long term and delivers a hat slightly darker that will grow into what you "see" over a short time of decent use...

Well planned.... :TOH:
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

BendingOak wrote:Can't really answer that without what your measurements. One, the Henry specs change according to hat size. Unlike any other off the rack hats which are normally one size specs for every size. Two a custom hat from me is exactly that. Just an FYI, that the specs can only be adjusted slightly before they don't look like what you are shooting for. I know, more information than you wanted to know but I can go on with this stuff.

Never can have too much information :). Thats very interesting. Well I do know (from my Adventurebilt order) that I have the same hat size as Harrison ford which should help with achieving the right look. My size is between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 at 22 7/8".

So when saying you use the same felt as Steve do you mean the rabbit or the beaver or both? I think I'm most interested in a rabbit hat from you but that's mainly based on price and the fact that the LC hat was rabbit.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Yes, I use the same rabbit and beaver felt that Steve uses. with that size I would use the LC specs 2 3/4 x 2 1/2
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

The Henry is being discontinued?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Nope. The Henry is still being produced but I am no longer selling them.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

If you ask me, John has the best block for an LC hat.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I'm with jlee (you just beat me to saying it, j!)
I was all set to write
"What is the best Last Crusade fedora? For ME, it's the one John Penman mailed to my house 2 weeks ago!"
;)

Thanks again, John!
:TOH:
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Looking forward to some more of those great pics you take(or should I say, your wife takes) of that new LC, Mitch. I've been thinking of an LC from John for myself for some time now.

jlhampton
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I promise I'll try to do something with it soon... been meaning to.
I wanted there to be a little photo of the hat to go with me saying 'thanks' to John over in his "Penman Thread" ;)

(And thanks for the kind compliment, jl... I'll be sure to pass it along to my wife!) :)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I've seen a few LC hats in my time, a Henry or two, etc. In the end, I felt that the Penman was the way to go, and since receiving mine I have never doubted my choice. He does that hat great justice, and you can't beat the special little tweaks that a custom hat brings. For a Raiders, I think Steve will always be the master (no doubt John would agree), but for the LC, John's your man.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I wish I had a higher quality screencap, but I absolutely adore the look of Indy's hat when him and Marcus disembark the ferry in Venice. I like the curl of the brim on the right side of his head. I got good results like this with a FedIV a few years ago, but I have since switch the bash and brim on that lid quite a bit after it got beaten to heck over time. :(

Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Arch Stanton wrote:I wish I had a higher quality screencap, but I absolutely adore the look of Indy's hat when him and Marcus disembark the ferry in Venice. I like the curl of the brim on the right side of his head. I got good results like this with a FedIV a few years ago, but I have since switch the bash and brim on that lid quite a bit after it got beaten to heck over time. :(

I agree. Love that scene, the scene where Indy gets picked up by Donovan's men at the college and the Grail scenes at the very end. All have that swoop in the brim which makes it look a little shorter and IMO better for daily wear.

Just wanted to thank you all for your help. I put in my order for a custom LC from Penman Hats. I'm sure it'll be a few months yet but I'll be posting pics on here as soon as it arrives! :)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Arch Stanton wrote:I absolutely adore the look of Indy's hat when him and Marcus disembark the ferry in Venice. I like the curl of the brim on the right side of his head.
1BAT4U wrote:I agree. Love that scene, the scene where Indy gets picked up by Donovan's men at the college and the Grail scenes at the very end. All have that swoop in the brim which makes it look a little shorter and IMO better for daily wear.
:lol:
I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it...
;)

Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

I've been meaning to post pictures of my Penman for weeks now, but here's one. It's gorgeous, I absolutely love it and it definitely gives me the LC look I wanted. :)

A.J. Cairo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by A.J. Cairo »

I definately recommend a penman! Trying to scrape up the money for one myself!
michael
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by michael »

That hat looks fantastic. Every Penman hat I see looks better than the last. :TOH:

I'd love to see this one from the side, too.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Ask and you shall receive ;)

I know the brim in the back is too low on mine, I'm working on that now actually. I'll have to take more pics! :D
michael
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by michael »

In my opinion, screen accuracy is but the starting point. John, Steve, and Marc (and others) create these amazing templates for us, and the hats become our own over time.

None of us will ever wear the fedora exactly like Harrison Ford, and that's actually kind of great if you think about it. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That is a sharp hat, 1bat! We've often gone to bat for Penman, no pun intended. :P
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

1BAT4U wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:I wish I had a higher quality screencap, but I absolutely adore the look of Indy's hat when him and Marcus disembark the ferry in Venice. I like the curl of the brim on the right side of his head. I got good results like this with a FedIV a few years ago, but I have since switch the bash and brim on that lid quite a bit after it got beaten to heck over time. :(

I agree. Love that scene, the scene where Indy gets picked up by Donovan's men at the college and the Grail scenes at the very end. All have that swoop in the brim which makes it look a little shorter and IMO better for daily wear.

Just wanted to thank you all for your help. I put in my order for a custom LC from Penman Hats. I'm sure it'll be a few months yet but I'll be posting pics on here as soon as it arrives! :)
Imagine meeting someone for the first time, as they are DR's and supposedly on a "professional" level, and she says to you, "You have your father's eyes." Your reply, "and my mother's ears, but the rest belongs to you..." :-s #-o I mean, we could attribute it to 'jet lag' but it was a prop job. :P
Last edited by Texan Scott on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

1BAT4U wrote:Ask and you shall receive ;)

I know the brim in the back is too low on mine, I'm working on that now actually. I'll have to take more pics! :D
Wow real classy lid ! Is this rabbit or beaver ?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

1BAT4U wrote:Ask and you shall receive ;)

I'm not so sure about the back part of the brim. I like it the way it looks! But that is me! I wouldn't change anything on this beauty! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've always been a fan of the Peters Brothers version, but since it was named for me, I guess maybe, JUST maybe, I'm a little biased. :[

Regards! Michaelson
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

The Last Crusade fedora has a large amount of taper in the front does it not? All the repos have it nice and straight but it should be sloped back a fair amount.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Had to chime in and mention an oft overlooked alternative.

I personally think that the AdVintage Herbert Johnson makes an amazing LC fedora. They can do the styling and do an amazing job!

Regards,
Sean
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:Had to chime in and mention an oft overlooked alternative.

I personally think that the AdVintage Herbert Johnson makes an amazing LC fedora. They can do the styling and do an amazing job!

Regards,
Sean
An old post but I have to agree on this one, at least for the venice scenes it is very accurate, has the same taper and even the red crest on the liner is similar to the one on screen.