Pick-a-size

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Pick-a-size

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

Hello, when buying a jacket, should you use your exact size? For example, I'm a 52. Would a 54 be to large? Or would the extra room be advisable? :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Pick-a-size

Post by Texan Scott »

Whatever size suitcoat you wear is generally the rule.
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

To be honest, the jacket is already ordered, but if it feels a little large, I thought running it through the washing machine might kill two birds with one stone. Shrink it a little as well as give it some more distressing. It is a gently used Todd's Custom that I have mentioned in another posting. I hope the sizing isn't an issue. ](*,)
Ranging Robert
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ranging Robert »

Okay--I wear a 43 suit. US Wings jackets come in L or XL. I weight 200 lbs. and I'm 6 foot but will likely drop 10 to 15 lbs in the next couple weeks. So, shoud I go L or XL? Or should I send USWings a note and ask what they suggest? Not trying to hijack the thread--it was a great question...and I appreciate the answer in the suit jacket. But, what do you? I don't have a L or XL suit...
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Ranging Robert wrote:Okay--I wear a 43 suit. US Wings jackets come in L or XL. I weight 200 lbs. and I'm 6 foot but will likely drop 10 to 15 lbs in the next couple weeks. So, shoud I go L or XL? Or should I send USWings a note and ask what they suggest? Not trying to hijack the thread--it was a great question...and I appreciate the answer in the suit jacket. But, what do you? I don't have a L or XL suit...
It ain't a science. 42-44 in a suit is generally labeled L. The only way to fit a jacket is to get the measurements - pit to pit, back length sleeve length. Find a jacket you like and go by its measurements. 43 chest, for instance, will generally be 22-23 inch pit to pit. :TOH:
Ranging Robert
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ranging Robert »

Yeah, not a science...more of an art! I went with a US WIngs XL goatskin knowing that I would want to wear a heavy sweater under the jacket when it gets cold. Before I washed it, the jacket seemed VERY big--especially the upper sleeves. But, after washing it in the washing machine and drying it in the dryer with tennis balls, I would guess its somewhere between an L and an XL now-so, pretty much perfect! I would think getting a jacket in your suit size might be too small if you want to wear anything other than a shirt under the jacket. (yeah, I heard my Dad's voice in my head when I typed the last sentence.)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, it's definitely a 'catch as catch can' in many respects, and plays out differently for every buyer and vendor. 'Art' is the perfect describer word. :TOH:

Once again talking about USW....in my personal case, I know I can order a size 'large' in any and all their signature series Indy style jackets, and the fit is dead on with a little room for comfort.....but if I want the same kind of fit in one of their Legend series, I have to go with an XL size.
Large is more of a custom fitted jacket for me in the Legend style, with shorter sleeves on MY arms, but that formula works....for ME, and has worked in every iteration of hide I've handled of those two series!

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

again, I would suggest giving the vendor your measurements and let them help you. each vendor knows their own product.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Historically, you can go back to the Cooper/USW made repros that were produced after LC and find that the sizing was a bit on the large side, for OTR, S,M,L etc. The Collector's Edition jackets are generally cut fuller and on the larger side. The Legend series is slimmer cut.

Generally on OTR, non-custom sizes in department stores and with other Indy jacket makers, S is 36-38, M is 38-40, L 42-44, etc. Generally, that is true across the board. Todd's Standards jackets are now more in line with this scheme, true to these OTR sizes. For Wested, BK, Magnoli order your normal suit coat size, ie 38, 42, 44, etc. Obviously, they will not cut your jacket to fit exactly your chest width, but build in typically 4-5 inches of extra material, added to your true size.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Easiest way is to know what measurements fit you. Take your best fitting jacket, and measure it. Then ask the company for measurements and compare. I do this for every jacket I purchase, and it hasn't failed me. Never rely on S, M or L etc, or even your suit size, 38, 40 etc. In my experience, they can never be trusted. If in doubt, ask for measurements.