Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested jacket advice

Post by wilbyc82 »

Hi guys

Just looking for a bit advice. This is my new Wested Raiders. Chest 42.

Whilst the jacket feels heavy and quality, I am not sure about the length. I am 6.1". The jacket does feel short, however I note the Raiders jacket is too quite short.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

ImageImage

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested jacket advice

Post by ShanghaiJack »

That's a nice looking jacket you've got there. I'd say for a Raiders jacket it looks just about spot on. :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I'd say your gold! take it from someone that has more jackets then underwear. I've searched and searched for that jacket and today we are extremely spoiled with all the vendors offering amazing jackets! Even directly patterend from a screen used jacket. that being said, with all those offerings all I do now is to try and find one of those really really old and early westeds. I think those might be very intresting to take a look at.

buy one jacket, wear it as much as you can, make it yours and be happy.
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

My personal feeling is that the jacket is too snug. Unfortunately, as this was not purchased directly from Wested, I do not have the opportunity to exchange it.
The jacket feels quality and would be superb with a pair of jeans, but I am not 100%.
The arms are loose but general overarm movement does feel somewhat restricted.

trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Looks great to me.

Gailen
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Holt wrote:I'd say your gold! take it from someone that has more jackets then underwear.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:-k Waitaminute, Holt, you do have more than one pair of underwear, right? :CR:
Holt wrote: buy one jacket, wear it as much as you can, make it yours and be happy.
:tup: That is the best advice you'll ever hear here, I just wish I could take it to heart ](*,)
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Wilbyc, what jacket is that exactly? It looks like it's sitting on your shoulders like a proper jacket instead of back of the shoulders like the Hero for instance. I still think the length looks spot on, but Tundrarider might be right about the bagginess. Going up a size in the chest might do wonders for the way it looks and feels to you. :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Last edited by Oildale Jones on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Re: Wested jacket advice

Post by wilbyc82 »

Tundrarider wrote:
ShanghaiJack wrote:Wilbyc, what jacket is that exactly? It looks like it's sitting on your shoulders like a proper jacket instead of back of the shoulders like the Hero for instance. I still think the length looks spot on, but Tundrarider might be right about the bagginess. Going up a size in the chest might do wonders for the way it looks and feels to you. :TOH:
Thanks, Jack. ;) But I might be wrong, too. Hard to know without actually trying one on. And if he lets the jacket fall back off his shoulders, it will be even shorter in front! All food for thought for Wilby! :P

Michael :TOH:
Cheers guys

It is the length that concerns me overall. The length measures 25". From the majority of the photos the jacket sits below the web belt, and appears to be baggy.
Further, whilst this jacket does sit nicely on my shoulder line, the underarm is rather tight.
This causes the jacket to ride when bringing my arm above shoulder height. From what I can gather the jacket should be flexible.
Noted the concern as to where the rests on the neck line......I too share the view the jacket is too far forward, however in dropping it back off the shoulder does once again cause the jacket to ride up.

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Is that a 'Raiders'? ie it would have facings inside the zipper.

IMO it does look a little short and if it feels tight under the arms then it's possibly one size too small for you. The forward backwards on the shoulder thing only applies to the Hero (and actually to the ToD too.) It was ironed out of the otr 'Raiders' and 'Rola' patterns.
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

Kt Templar wrote:Is that a 'Raiders'? ie it would have facings inside the zipper.

IMO it does look a little short and if it feels tight under the arms then it's possibly one size too small for you. The forward backwards on the shoulder thing only applies to the Hero (and actually to the ToD too.) It was ironed out of the otr 'Raiders' and 'Rola' patterns.
As far I was aware it is a "Raiders", however there are numerous differences to my 40 lambskin that I used before I picked this one up. The 40 is too a little tight, particularly at the sides, however despite the size down I still have more flexibility and movement in the 40 than the 42. The 42 is heavier and darker, giving an upgrade in the quality and weight, however the lack of flexibility and height gives rise to my concerns.

I do like the look of the Raiders Hero with it's slouched appearance off the neck.

This 42 jacket does fit, but looks almost too formal to be an Indy jacket on me. If I was to drop a jean size and loose a stone it may look great, but as the Christmas period approaches, that ain't going to happen :lol:

I agree that I need to go probably one more size up to a 44 to fit my body shape and height better. The length on this jacket does look a little too TOD.

I was looking at perhaps a purchase of the Hero in a 44, can anyone give me any comparisons on the size difference?

Cheers guys
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

I have spoken to Pete Botwright this morning.

The increase in weight, thickness and description as advised to Pete was concluded as Horse Hyde.

I sought further advice in relation to the Hero. Pete confirmed that Hero is a larger fit than the standard lambskin.

More food for thought and another jacket to sell perhaps.

I will get there eventually :grin:

pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

I have a wested size 40 and mine is snug when fastened and it sits on my shoulders not off. I too am looking at getting the hero but in size 42. If its a tighter fit then from reading on here a size up may be better.
Trigger
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Trigger »

pdraycott wrote:I have a wested size 40 and mine is snug when fastened and it sits on my shoulders not off. I too am looking at getting the hero but in size 42. If its a tighter fit then from reading on here a size up may be better.
I have a 40in chest and bought a 42 LC wested in goat.

I think her name was Jenna, told me I could fit in a 40 but it would be snug and suggested that I go up to a 42. The jacket to me is a perfect fit not to big and not to small. If you have around a 40 chest I would go up to the 42.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Re: Wested jacket advice

Post by Texan Scott »

wilbyc82 wrote:
Tundrarider wrote:
ShanghaiJack wrote:Wilbyc, what jacket is that exactly? It looks like it's sitting on your shoulders like a proper jacket instead of back of the shoulders like the Hero for instance. I still think the length looks spot on, but Tundrarider might be right about the bagginess. Going up a size in the chest might do wonders for the way it looks and feels to you. :TOH:
Thanks, Jack. ;) But I might be wrong, too. Hard to know without actually trying one on. And if he lets the jacket fall back off his shoulders, it will be even shorter in front! All food for thought for Wilby! :P

Michael :TOH:
Cheers guys

It is the length that concerns me overall. The length measures 25". From the majority of the photos the jacket sits below the web belt, and appears to be baggy.
Further, whilst this jacket does sit nicely on my shoulder line, the underarm is rather tight.
This causes the jacket to ride when bringing my arm above shoulder height. From what I can gather the jacket should be flexible.
Noted the concern as to where the rests on the neck line......I too share the view the jacket is too far forward, however in dropping it back off the shoulder does once again cause the jacket to ride up.

26" or 26 1/2" might be better for you. Also if you zip the jacket and it is too tight around the chest, then it might be better to go up a size. With the Hero, I have ordered my regular size and never had a problem. Also if you are oncerned about the jacket fitting too tightly around the armholes, etc., you may want to modify the Hero accordingly, and opt for larger arm holes on the Hero pattern?
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I think it is too small (too short) for you. You could use another inch in the front. It looks like a great jacket though. You can put it up for sale in the Bazaar and order one from Wested.