Indy's socks?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Indy's socks?

Post by Charybdis »

OK, I know this might sound like a strange question and since there are 90 pages of threads in this forum, I hope you'll forgive me for not wading through all that! But, here goes: has there been any discussion at the very least on what color/type socks Indy wears?? Are there any screen grabs?

I do Civil War reenacting, and we wear period correct wool or cotton socks to look the part. I was just wondering that we don't want to go out there in our Indy gear wearing modern-day white nylon socks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Indy's socks?

Post by Michaelson »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12534&hilit=Indiana+Jones+socks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Wow, 2005 was a long time ago.. Didn't mean to start up something that had been buried long ago! I get it, wear what ever you want to wear since they'll hardly be seen...got it :lol:
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Go black and you'll never go back! :lol: Seriously though, I think black socks look best with the gear.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I used to get these really dark brown Gold Toe boot socks. They really looked great. Nothing else on Indy's gear was truly "black" so I always thought that the dark brown looked the best.

JMO

C
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Let's just try to avoid that whole "boxers or briefs" debate again, OK. =;

LJT
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

#-o

Agreed....but in case you were wondering....boxers. :[

Regard! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

[-(

I don't even want to know... [-X

;)
:lol:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

The socks were dark brown. Wal-Mart usually has them pretty cheap. :-$
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

If only it were closer to April 1st, I would make up an elaborate, but ultimately bogus story about exactly what obscure brand of socks were used for the production...

:CR:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Zuiun wrote:If only it were closer to April 1st, I would make up an elaborate, but ultimately bogus story about exactly what obscure brand of socks were used for the production...

Don't forget to make sure that whatever brand and model you choose for the socks is not currently made, but that you have found a large source of new old stock. :lol:
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

ShanghaiJack wrote:Don't forget to make sure that whatever brand and model you choose for the socks is not currently made, but that you have found a large source of new old stock. :lol:
Or alternatively that I'm going to do a limited run of reproduction socks. And for an extra fee, I will make them pre-distressed and smelling like old feet. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:-0
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Michaelson wrote::-0
Oh come on! You know you're in for three pair! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Humm....I'll give them to bink, TheDude, and Dalexs for Christmas! :-k

:Plymouth:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Zuiun wrote:
ShanghaiJack wrote:Don't forget to make sure that whatever brand and model you choose for the socks is not currently made, but that you have found a large source of new old stock. :lol:
Or alternatively that I'm going to do a limited run of reproduction socks. And for an extra fee, I will make them pre-distressed and smelling like old feet. :lol:
Just make sure you don't do a cold water wash on them. It might mess up the rest of that pre-distressed work. :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

ShanghaiJack wrote:
Zuiun wrote:If only it were closer to April 1st, I would make up an elaborate, but ultimately bogus story about exactly what obscure brand of socks were used for the production...

Don't forget to make sure that whatever brand and model you choose for the socks is not currently made, but that you have found a large source of new old stock. :lol:
:rolling: How true! "The socks have been identified as Gold Toe in Dark Russet Potato Brown. Not to be mistaken with the current Gold Toe socks that have the wavy yellow-gold stitching at the toe. The screen used socks used the no longer available orange-gold stitching." :rolling:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndyFan71
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyFan71 »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just found the holy grail of production pictures that puts this "what kind of socks?" question to rest for good, though I can't post it because my photobucket account has been corrupted and the format of the picture is incompatible with any other photo-sharing apps that currently exist.

The hard-hitting truth is that Harrison Ford did not wear socks in the filming of any of the four films! What you are seeing is actually extremely dirty, dirt-caked, dark brown archeologist ankles!

I was floored and think you would be too, if only I could get this elusive production photo posted...

\:D/

Indyfan71
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

IndyFan71 wrote: What you are seeing is actually extremely dirty, dirt-caked, dark brown archeologist ankles!
Bummer :| , so out of all the gearheads here, only Jens and NES can have the screen accurate look!
Anybody know a school with a good archaeology program? :lol:
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

IndyFan71 wrote:The hard-hitting truth is that Harrison Ford did not wear socks in the filming of any of the four films! What you are seeing is actually extremely dirty, dirt-caked, dark brown archeologist ankles!
There is actually quite a bit of controversy surrounding this issue.

To begin with, Deborah Nadoolman specifically recalls picking out socks for Indy to wear, but later Ford admits to going sans socks. In reality, it's believed that Ford *did* wear socks in some scenes and not in others. Also, it is known that all of the stunt players required socks for safety reasons and may have recommended Ford compromise on his no-socks stance for some of the heavier action moments.

And example of this can be seen during the temple collapse. Immediately following the idol grab, Ford is clearly wearing socks -- thus his sure footing while dodging the poisoned arrows. He eschewed socks for the boulder dash and we all know how a simple stumble almost caused disaster. We now know that stumble was due to his sweaty foot sliding around in his Aldens.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You should have seen the dust-ups that occured on the set of Morning Glory! :o HF nearly fired Bernie Pollack as his personal costumer over the controversy of HF sans socks stance. [-X

At the end of the day, HF conceded he would wear the socks because, "They serve the character's development." :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Indiana Jeff wrote:At the end of the day, HF conceded he would wear the socks because, "They serve the character's development." :lol:
But I hear he still insisted on being barefoot underneath the socks...

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well played! :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I'm watching the "From Adventure to Legend" documentary about the making of Raiders, and during the scenes where they are filming in the well of souls, you can catch glimpses of Indy's socks, they are dark brown!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Charybdis wrote:I'm watching the "From Adventure to Legend" documentary about the making of Raiders, and during the scenes where they are filming in the well of souls, you can catch glimpses of Indy's socks, they are dark brown!
And white

Kyle
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

People, people! Has no one been reading this thread? What you are seeing are dirty ankles and clean ankles. :roll:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Maybe we should start a poll, which do you prefer dirty ankles or clean ankles for the ultimate screen accuracy? :lol:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I think the correct answer would be: "it depends on the scene!" ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

To be followed by the arguments over the correct dirt to be using.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Indiana Jeff wrote:To be followed by the arguments over the correct dirt to be using.
Hawaiian mud? Or Tunisian sand?
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Found these today!

http://www.ozonesocks.com/back-up-sock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Yes, got a pair on order, along with the knife version.)