Keppler Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Keppler Fedora

Post by crismans »

I thought I'd throw up a few pics of my Keppler Fedora as I don't see much mention of these on the boards. I've had this one for over a year and a half now. It's one of his 80/20 rabbit/beaver blends. As much as I love the feel/durability of 100% beaver, I really think that rabbit is the way to go to capture the Raiders look. If you can get some beaver blend in there, then so much the better from a durability standpoint. This one isn't styled to any one scene but I think it captures the Raiders feel pretty well.

This has been my experiment hat. I got it without the turn and then rebashed it to include the turn. Any suggestion on how to distress a hat that's come across these boards has been applied to this hat. It's been scrunched, sat on, slapped, and just generally mistreated. The only thing I've done to it that's caring is having John Penman reflange the brim for me as he was working on my Penman ToD. It's now become my faithful walk in the woods, work hat. I really love this hat and will be getting another one in the future.

Anyone else have any pics of their Keppler's?

and the link to the rest: http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... %20Fedora/
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: Keppler Fedora

Post by Indiana Croft »

No current picks of My Keppler, but it to has become my outside on a hot day hat, which I can't wait for. I sweat in it, beat the livin you no what nad it can take it. Tough as nails hat, for sure.

Croft. :mrgreen:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The week I joined COW I ordered an AB and a Keppler to tide me over. I really liked the hat. The color was great and it was nice and floppy. It did taper on me but was reblocked by myself just before I sold it a while ago. Good hat for sure. Kind of miss it.

Dave
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Did anything in particular cause it to taper, Dave? I've had mine in light rain and snow and pretty hot/humid conditions with no adverse effects so far. How did it take the reblock? That was a concern of mine for the future.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

My hat was bought before he bumped them up to 80/20. It was nothing in particular that made it taper, and it wasn't much, just the heat and humidity of South Florida as well as the rain. It didn't really get rained on too much, just sprinklings of rain, but I guess that with the humidity did it. It took the reblock fine. Those Beaver Brand hats that Lee uses are alright so I wouldn't worry about the felt shrinking too much during a reblock. By the looks of it, though, I'd say your hat is looking fine. No need of a reblock there.

Dave
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

My Keppler soldiered on faithfully for 2 years before I got to tinkering with it. Great hat.

My mediocre skills and first attempt with reblocking didn't kill the hat either. I lost a little height (and maybe some diameter) on the crown, but that, I feel, had more to do with my skills as a reblocker and the home-made block I used.

I'd still like to get it redone professionally, but it's taken a back-burner position since my vintage homburg/fedora got here.

Within days of purchase (Feb 2008):

Six-months on (Halloween 2008):

Post-blocking:

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

My Keppler has gone all tapered, and has actually gotten bigger with age. I can't even wear it at this point, I need to get some serious refurbishing done to the poor thing.

Randy
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

theinterchange wrote:My Keppler has gone all tapered, and has actually gotten bigger with age. I can't even wear it at this point, I need to get some serious refurbishing done to the poor thing.

Randy

I would be happy to take it off your hands I need a new hat... :-
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

whipcracker wrote:
theinterchange wrote:My Keppler has gone all tapered, and has actually gotten bigger with age. I can't even wear it at this point, I need to get some serious refurbishing done to the poor thing.

Randy

What's your size? This was a 7 1/4 which now fits more like a 7 3/8
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

theinterchange wrote:
whipcracker wrote:

Randy

What's your size? This was a 7 1/4 which now fits more like a 7 3/8
I wear a 7 1/4.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I keep waffling back and forth about selling vs. reblocking. I think I'll have to stick with reblocking, lest I sell it and get sellers remorse like I did on my Regular Fed IV.

Randy
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

theinterchange wrote:I keep waffling back and forth about selling vs. reblocking. I think I'll have to stick with reblocking, lest I sell it and get sellers remorse like I did on my Regular Fed IV.

Randy
I've had that way too many times. Even bought back a couple of items when they came up for sale again. :roll:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

photographies
Last edited by theinterchange on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

Can anyone recommend a good place to reblock a Keppler fedora from '05 timeframe? I love it and it has aged and weathered beautifully, except for the fact that it now has a significant taper and, at least to me, just doesn't resemble anything of a Raiders fedora anymore. I'd love to salvage this fedora and get it professionally redone hopefully without a 6 month turn-around time. Any suggestions? I appreciate it.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I suggest contacting either Local Land Surveyor or JerseyJones. Both are members here.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

I had John with Penman hats reblock a fedora for me and I must say it never looked as good as it does now. Even when it was brand new. I recommend Penman hats if you don't mind getting on his waiting list. John puts as much care into refurbishing non Penmans as he does with his own hats.

Beaverlid
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Gotta go with good ol' Penman Hat Co. on this one. John has reblocked plenty o' different brand hats and they all look fantastic. He is a master of his craft. If anyone can save your hat, its John.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I suggest contacting either Local Land Surveyor or JerseyJones. Both are members here.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Just an FYI, JersetJones is not a hatter just a retailer.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In another thread for a member asking about getting a hat reblocked Michaelson refers to JerseyJones of Camptown Hats as a possible source and JJ replies to the same thread suggesting the member contact him by PM.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

As far as I know, Ken gets his hats made at a factory to his specs and standards and then he cuts down the brim and creases the hats. Unless, he has been working on becoming a proper hatter, I don't see how he could reblock a hat. Not trying to put Ken down, just saying what I know.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:In another thread for a member asking about getting a hat reblocked Michaelson refers to JerseyJones of Camptown Hats as a possible source and JJ replies to the same thread suggesting the member contact him by PM.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Correct. JJ posted himself in a related thread recently that he could help. Not sure what source he has, but apparently he has one.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45804

Regards! Michaelson
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

If anybody is a 7 1/8, I have some in stock. Nice to see some pics from all of you.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Lee, it's good to see you around these parts again! I still have my lid you sold me years and years ago. I wish you had some new lids in a 6 7/8 around. I'd be inclined to pick one up from you. :TOH:
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I normally buy a 58 cm, which is a 7 1/4 for a HJ. How do you your hatsizes normally fit?
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Ill check them when I get home . They are usually a little loose. Shoot me a actual mmeasuremennt. Hmm....I may have worded that wrong. Dont shoot me, just send it or call me ;)
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

lee do u have a website?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I ran into a fellow in San Antonio, Texas this past March who was wearing a Keppler 'Indy.' First one I had seen in years and I thought it was quite nice. Good weight. Good overall feel to it and the blocking was very good. Nice hat. W>
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I've been talking to Lee. Hopefully he will have his website up soon along with his gear.
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I can't remember, what's on the inside of the lining? Does it say Beaver Hats?
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

It does in my Keppler.

LJT
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

beaverlid wrote:I had John with Penman hats reblock a fedora for me and I must say it never looked as good as it does now. Even when it was brand new. I recommend Penman hats if you don't mind getting on his waiting list. John puts as much care into refurbishing non Penmans as he does with his own hats.

Beaverlid
DR Ulloa wrote:Gotta go with good ol' Penman Hat Co. on this one. John has reblocked plenty o' different brand hats and they all look fantastic. He is a master of his craft. If anyone can save your hat, its John.

Dave
I will third this motion and highly recommend John's reblocking services. My Keppler got a bit damp several years back and shrunk a bit around the top of the crown. After the reblock, it looks better than ever! ( I still need to get one of his hats someday...maybe a grey clipper? :-k )

Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Bogie1943 wrote:Lee, it's good to see you around these parts again! I still have my lid you sold me years and years ago. I wish you had some new lids in a 6 7/8 around. I'd be inclined to pick one up from you. :TOH:
Hey Bogie! Guess what just came in. A brand new 6 7/8 body!!!

Lee 619-647-6744
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Wonderful news Lee! I still have your number in my contacts from years ago. Expect a call. I would be honored to own another Keppler Indy lid!
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Bogie1943 wrote:Wonderful news Lee! I still have your number in my contacts from years ago. Expect a call. I would be honored to own another Keppler Indy lid!
In case it was an old number, 619-647-6744
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Wouldn't happen to have any 7's would you, Lee?
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I spoke to Lee yesterday. He is working on posting updated pictures and getting his website back up. Feel free to call him directly, just like us old timers had to do in back in the 90's!
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

nicetrylaoche wrote:Wouldn't happen to have any 7's would you, Lee?
As a matter of fact, I do. 619-647-6744

PS I will be away from a computer from the 13th till the 25th of June. We are actually going on a vacation.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Hello enerybody. Down in the hotel lobby in New York. went to Peter Lugar's steakhouse for dinner . What a feed!
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Back in town. Lee 619-647-6744
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

Just met Lee here in Las Vegas at the gun show, Great guy to talk to about guns and hats. He did mention he still had some 7 1/8 hats in stock. :TOH:
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

One left.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

6 7/8" ?
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

I have a big sale on. Please check out the Vendor's Section. Thanks, Lee 619-647-6744