7 part 6 bight 2 pass knot (KCS style) practice

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

7 part 6 bight 2 pass knot (KCS style) practice

Post by folkprophet »

I think my favorite part of whip making is the knots. For some reason it's just a kick to tie them. I want to (eventually) come up with a signature knot for myself. In order to do that, I figure I needed to really understand them, and thought learning more would be helpful. So I dug into the theory behind it and here's my first 7x6 2 pass knot for practice. I think I'll put this on the whip I'm currently making.

Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: 7 part 6 bight 2 pass knot (KCS style) practice

Post by Zuiun »

Nice job! I love the initial build of the knots. I hate tightening them. :lol:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

You've not been able to tie it so that it doesn't need retightening? If anything you may just need to tighten the first bight or two, but other then that, at least for me, it's typically secure enough by then to be able to pull it as tight as I want.
I do understand that, when it is required I hate retightening!
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Folkprophet,

Your knots are great for starting out! There are some great knot books out there that have all sorts of different styles. Look into Tom Hall's books.

I just posted some pictures on my blog (http://bullwhips.org) of a display of knots at a fair that I was performing at.

One of the things that I did to try different knots and to learn different styles was to have a piece of lace or two in my pocket and tied knots around my index and middle fingers of one hand when I had 5-10 mins to kill.

It was at least a year before my turksheads stopped looking like a plate of Phad Thai noodles.

Louie
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

louiefoxx wrote:Folkprophet,

Your knots are great for starting out! There are some great knot books out there that have all sorts of different styles. Look into Tom Hall's books.

I just posted some pictures on my blog (http://bullwhips.org) of a display of knots at a fair that I was performing at.

One of the things that I did to try different knots and to learn different styles was to have a piece of lace or two in my pocket and tied knots around my index and middle fingers of one hand when I had 5-10 mins to kill.

It was at least a year before my turksheads stopped looking like a plate of Phad Thai noodles.

Louie
Thanks! I like that idea (lace in my pocket) but I tried tying this one around my fingers and couldn't quite deal with it...so I grabbed the glue bottle. I wrapped some masking tape around it to give me an edge as well.
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

9 part 8 bight 1 pass knot practice

Post by folkprophet »

So here's a 9 part 8 bight single pass. It's not super neat, but this might make a pretty cool transition knot all in all.

riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I do like the way those like on transition knots. :D
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Victor Tella used to have a very nice tutorial for turk's head knots and pineapple knots, but he took it down for some reason. Too bad it was pretty well explained with step-by-step pics. Bernie has a few videos on this too that are very good, but there is something about having a print out available in the shop...

Franco