The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

marshall2288
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by marshall2288 »

Im pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Fed IV. Seems to be the nicest in it's price range and I've owned an Akubra rabbit fur western style hat my aunt bought for me on an Austrailian vacation back when I was a kid. Obviously I've outgrown it but now my son likes to wear it. Built to last, thats for sure.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re:

Post by Aragorn658 »

Mighty_Draw wrote:Hey thanks guys for the welcome.

Here is my carbon grey fed IV, non-indy bash I gave it somewhat of a C-crown bash. Went ahead and took these since Jonesy asked and I noticed a general lack of carbon grey pics out there.

snapped a couple of my mid brown KotCS/Raider's inspired Indy bash.

Hope these are useful to other newer-newbies in picking a hat!
are those the original ribbons?
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Man! That carbon-grey Fed above is stunning! I hope that hat's being worn in good health!
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Here is a photo of me and the family at Disney a few weeks ago. I'm wearing an Akubra Fed IV that I purchased from a fellow COW member Rick Deckard.

(Thanks again! I absolutely love this hat, and wear it almost everywhere. It was the perfect fit, and the bash was even just right.)

Not surprisingly, at Disney, I ran into a fellow gearhead who recognized the hat and bag, and said he had a KotCS bag and Wested jacket himself....I should've asked if he was a member here.

I'm also wearing a Raiders T-Shirt (eBay) and a Todd's MK-VII bag & strap (as a perfect camera bag for my Nikon D50 & lenses)

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The hat (and the family) look great! :)

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

That's a great looking lid and a great looking family, but you, my friend, look like you're squeezing out a fart.
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Arch Stanton wrote:That's a great looking lid and a great looking family, but you, my friend, look like you're squeezing out a fart.
I'm good at taking photos...but am horrible with photos taken of me. I NEVER seem to have any good photos of myself. Plus 95°F heat in FL after 6hrs at Disney doesn't help.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Note to self: Don't post pictures of self around Arch...

:lol:
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Nice lid, borntorun97.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Arch Stanton wrote:That's a great looking lid and a great looking family, but you, my friend, look like you're squeezing out a fart.
kwad wrote:Note to self: Don't post pictures of self around Arch...
:rolling:
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

After not being sure between the Advintage Junior and the Akubra Federation IV, i took the plunge and bought the Akubra. Once it arrives and I've had my first attempt at bashing, I will post some pics. May be a bad bash though as I'm a bash virgin.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Just remember... when bashing, steam is your friend. I recently rebashed mine after 3 years or more of it being just hand bashed and the steam re-stiffened the brim and nicely set the crown this time. Great product here. :TOH:
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

HI,

I have just recieved my Federation IV. Heres my first try at bashing the raiders look.
There something about the brim that doesnt seem right. I've found lots of advice on how to bash it but cant find much on how to get the brim right.Should the brim be curled up a little at either side and what's the best way to get the brim to swoop down at the front.
Pictures attached so you can give me your valued opinions.

Thanks.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qtwnra.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/25rmhrr.jpg
Last edited by pdraycott on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, what do you mean by "right?" Do you want 'the turn?' If so, it looks like your hat isn't turned enough (alternatively, you might also have a round-oval head in which case the turn won't really work for you). It also looks like the center crease in front could stand to be lowered a bit.

Here's some reference pics of my Carbon Grey Fed:

My hat does not have the turn, because I don't really care for it. But your hat should have roughly the same height in the front and the back, regardless of whether or not it's turned. The height in the front should come it right at 4.5"

A bit blurry, but that's where it should be at to get the nice dip at the front part of the crease and the "humps" in front.
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

A bit more bashing to get the height to 4.5 inches as recommended above. Also the brim is starting to keep the swoop at the front now. I just keep pulling it down when I'm wearing it. I guess after time it will just get easier for it to keep the swoop.

Now I have the jacket and fedora,waiting for the boots, now to order the belt and gloves.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

:tup: :tup:

Looking good. Yes, I found the same with my brim, it takes a little work and wear to get it into the shape you want.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

pdraycott, FedIVs start out pretty stiff. Two solutions to your 'problem':

Wear it. As it softens it will take on some more natural curves.

Take the hat in your hands and mush it around it a bit. This, too, will help it take on a more curvacious, relaxed shape.

If you're not comfortable mushing up a new hat, then wear it and be patient. It will relax and look better.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I agree with Bugs. You're off to a great start with your bash. The front brim especially will relax with regular use. Mine always do because I don and doff my hats primarily by holding the front and back of the brim (rarely by grabbing by the crown pinch [-X ).

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I'm with the others, the hat will soften in time, but the crease/bash is looking good. Though about the brim, I also noticed in your pics is that there is little or no turn in yours. I have a slight turn in mine and it's not screen accurate either, though I personally like how mine sits. But without a good turn, the brim won't be spot on (see the FAQ: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You can also see it by turning yours on your head and keep going until it looks right; the center of the bow will be nearly over your temple when the brim has that wonky Raiders look, which is caused by how the hat was turned on Ford's head. Only Raiders had the turn in the hat, so if you're after that true Raiders look, that's the key.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Here's mine that I bought back in 07. I've since rebashed it a time or two to get that perfect (in my eyes) Raiders look. Steam really helped move it and retain the stiffness once cooled.

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Looks pretty perfect to me, too, Alex.
:) :tup:

Congrats on a great lookin' fedora that suits you so well!
:TOH:
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Thanks Mitch. The real killer in most costumes is the fit. I've seen hand me down stuff make better costumes than the "real deal" stuff at times. It's all about how you bring it together. :TOH:
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

HI guys.
Ive used some steam now to try and get the brim looking better. What do you think?

jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Looking good, I would push the side dents farther back towards the top. Like in the last pic with the front of the hat facing left, I always think of the classic Indy crease of having a side dent that is angled back towards the ribbon so it looks not unlike this slash: /

Make sense?
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Here are two of my hats from the same angle to illustrate what jlee is talking about.

Notice how the bottom of the side crease moves up and back to about the middle of the hat by the time it reaches the top. It is this triangular shape you are looking for.

(Please no comments on the funky bow on the hat in the second picture. It has long since been fixed.)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Thanks for the assist Bugs, that's exactly what I was talking about. :TOH:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Glad to help.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...but what about that funky bow, ScottyRocks? :P

:CR:
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

borntorun97 wrote:Here is a photo of me and the family at Disney a few weeks ago. I'm wearing an Akubra Fed IV that I purchased from a fellow COW member Rick Deckard.

(Thanks again! I absolutely love this hat, and wear it almost everywhere. It was the perfect fit, and the bash was even just right.)

Not surprisingly, at Disney, I ran into a fellow gearhead who recognized the hat and bag, and said he had a KotCS bag and Wested jacket himself....I should've asked if he was a member here.

I'm also wearing a Raiders T-Shirt (eBay) and a Todd's MK-VII bag & strap (as a perfect camera bag for my Nikon D50 & lenses)

Very good photo
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

My Fed saw some action at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park today.

I have the distinct feeling I'm being watched...
Lord Macdonald
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lord Macdonald »

Hey guys, just got my Fed IV on Wednesday. It took 9 days to travel from Australia to California...not bad.

Overall I am very impressed with the hat and I am working on breaking it in. I gave it a quick dry bash, more LC then RotLa as I don't want to permanently pinch the felt. I love the look and happy with how it looks on me.

Question for all you Fed IV owners. If I have any complaints, it would be about the felt....maybe not a complaint, though, but an observation and request for input. The felt seems a bit rigid and stiff to me, certainly not "floppy" and not "soft" like my 50+ year old Paramount.

I suppose comparing it to a 50 year old hat makes no sense, but do the Fed IVs loosen and soften up over time?

Thanks

Dave
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Yes, they do.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That is a GREAT photo, Oildale!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I will 'ditto' that comment from Mitch -- great photo! You look a bit like Bruce Willis here doing an 'Indy' vibe with the girafe! Great shot :clap: ! W>
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

My new to me Fed IV regular that replaces my Todd's Raider. I completely re-blocked it to suit my liking. Hope you like it. [-o< Image Image Image Image Akubra FedIV. Picked it up for $95.00 which included shipping. It's in great shape, although it looked a good bit different when it arrived. A little steam took care of that. I really like this much better than my previous lid, although the Todd's Raider is a great fedora for the money as well, this one just suits me better. The Akubra :notworthy: is a LOT of fedora for the money. JMO. :tup: Regards to all. :H: PS, let me know what ya think. Is it a keeper?
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

Image This is a great photo. My family and I are going to Disney World in November. I'm bringing my Fed with me as well. I'm not as hardcore as you were wearing it in those temps but it should be cooler by then. We've been there in the fall before and temps can range from low 70's to mid 80's in the daytime. Nice lid you have there. If I spot the same photo op with Goofy, we'll snap a photo there for giggles. :D
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Dr.JonesClone wrote:My new to me Fed IV regular that replaces my Todd's Raider. I completely re-blocked it to suit my liking. Hope you like it. [-o< Image Image Image Image Akubra FedIV. Picked it up for $95.00 which included shipping. It's in great shape, although it looked a good bit different when it arrived. A little steam took care of that. I really like this much better than my previous lid, although the Todd's Raider is a great fedora for the money as well, this one just suits me better. The Akubra :notworthy: is a LOT of fedora for the money. JMO. :tup: Regards to all. :H: PS, let me know what ya think. Is it a keeper?
Akubras are tough and nice lids, and yours sports a very neat bash !
keeper it is !
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

Just ordered a Fed IV! I have now increased my nerdom by 25%! I'm quite excited. :)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

WConly wrote:I will 'ditto' that comment from Mitch -- great photo! You look a bit like Bruce Willis here doing an 'Indy' vibe with the girafe! Great shot :clap: ! W>
Thank you, gents. I'm getting more comfortable with wearing my fedoras, but I have to keep reminding myself that they look better on me from a distance than they do in the mirror.

A note on the temperature: It was probably in the mid-90s and I wore my Fed all day in full sunlight. It was only slightly warmer than my Garrison, but never uncomfortable. (My Fed has no liner, however. That came out on Day One.)

Dr.JonesClone, that is some remarkable sculpting. I think I must be a little less fastidious about my bash; I end up with sharp creases where you have nice...um, curves—particularly on the front crown. The major problem I have with my fedoras is that one hump is bigger than the other.
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

Well thanks Oildale, I enjoy molding and tweeking my fedora's. I may go ahead and pop out my liner as well. Your lid looks great. As far as one hump being slightly larger on yours, that's the stuff that gives hat's character. That is truly a cool pic of you at the zoo. Regards to all. :TOH:
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Dr.JonesClone wrote:Image

This is a great photo. My family and I are going to Disney World in November. I'm bringing my Fed with me as well. I'm not as hardcore as you were wearing it in those temps but it should be cooler by then. We've been there in the fall before and temps can range from low 70's to mid 80's in the daytime. Nice lid you have there. If I spot the same photo op with Goofy, we'll snap a photo there for giggles. :D
The statue of Goofy on the bench is right inside the main entrance to Magic Kingdom. The reason we took a picture on that bench was the last time I was at Disney with my parents in the late 90's, we took the exact same picture.
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

Very nice. I thought it might have been near the Magic Kingdom entrance, it looked familiar. What a cool story. I'll post our pic sitting by goofy as well. Look for it in mid November. :[
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

here's my Fed4 on my most recent trip to Anak Krakatau in Indonesia. It's been with me for 4 years and still looks good

you can read my little story from the trip here:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards

CJ
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

Hey, how many of you remove your fedora's liners? :-k
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Me. I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't had that thick plastic piece in it that acted as a greenhouse, but it came out with little resistance—almost as if it wanted to. :-k

I haven't touched the liner in my Garrison.
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

the only thing i've removed from my hat is the wire in the sweatband, because it had kinks in it

CJ
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Dr.JonesClone wrote:Hey, how many of you remove your fedora's liners? :-k
I tried to clean mine but after cleaning it, it became to floppy and wouldn't stay up. So now my Fed IV has not liner. :(
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

My Fed IV deluxe, after four years. It's my adventure hat- I've worn it everywhere! Went to Turner Falls about a year ago and jumped in the river with it on my head. :P
It's sun bleached and sweat stained, but I'm very okay with that. Didn't want to do a full cleaning because I didn't want to wait that long. And really, there's not much it would do for the sun bleached spots. :)

I reblocked it to the correct size and shaped it.
Went for the raiders look.

Was just barely able to keep the original ribbon; It was almost too small.
Anyway,

Edit: Realizing that it looks a bit tapered in these pictures. Odd, because when wearing it, the mirror certainly makes it seem straight-sided. Mayhaps I tweaked it after these pictures. I don't remember.
I work on so many hats nowadays... :anxious:
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

fenris wrote:
I tried to clean mine but after cleaning it, it became to floppy and wouldn't stay up. So now my Fed IV has not liner. :(
That can be fixed pretty easily, my friend! If it's the liner that's floppy and won't stay "up" or in the hat, it can be affixed with a little adhesive. "Fabritack" is the best brand I've found for this. The big part is make sure you have your placement first, and a little goes a long way!

If you're nervous about doing so, or ifvit's the felt itself, take it / send it to a hat shop (like Peter's Brothers ;)) and some stiffener can be added to it or they can affix the liner for you.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

AnubisScales wrote:
fenris wrote:
That can be fixed pretty easily, my friend! If it's the liner that's floppy and won't stay "up" or in the hat, it can be affixed with a little adhesive. "Fabritack" is the best brand I've found for this. The big part is make sure you have your placement first, and a little goes a long way!

If you're nervous about doing so, or ifvit's the felt itself, take it / send it to a hat shop (like Peter's Brothers ;)) and some stiffener can be added to it or they can affix the liner for you.
I'm too far away from any hat shop. With the costs of shipping the hat and having it serviced on and having it shipped back here again... I might as well just buy a new hat. With my luck, the customs officers here will charge me tax again for a hat I already own that I had refurbished. You don't get to be on the list of "most corrupt countries" for nothing. Hahaha!

Now, to keep in theme with the topic... Here's what my Fed IV looks now:

It was getting a bit tapered through all the torrential rain I put it through. So when it was wet, I got a "dab-o-ink" which had a round cap and started using that to stretch the felt in the portions that looked tapered. I actually got the front taper out... for some reason, it tapered more in front than the sides.

Here's a comparison shot from what it was before the "stretching" the red line on the first pic represents the actual taper it had as the "before" pic was older.

My camera's broken that's why the color is off and there are scan-lines on the "after" pics.