Post your TOD hats here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post your TOD hats here!

Post by Restless Dreamer »

Ok, we have many topics organized by brand, and one for SOC style...BUT I wonder if there is someone who has a real deal TOD hat.

I mean, everyone is so picky about Raiders, looking for the smallest details, and it's a general convinction that every tapered hat is a TOD styled hat.

So, is there somebody who has a hat that IS intended to be a TOD, and not just a hat that "well, it tapered, now it looks like the Cockpit Plane scene"?

Post'em up!
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Post your TOD hats here!

Post by beaverlid »

I would like to see some pics of that style as well. I like all of the hats from all of the movies. You don't see many positive comments regarding the Temple of Doom fedora.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Here's my Penman ToD. It's based on on the hat Indy had when he punches out the guard just before freeing the kids:

darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

[quote="crismans"]Here's my Penman ToD. It's based on on the hat Indy had when he punches out the guard just before freeing the kids:

NICE Job..................Me LIKEY velly much :clap:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think the ToD hat gets slammed more than it deserves. In fact, the LC hat is my least favorite, not the ToD.

Crismans, I love that hat. Do you have any recent pictures of it?

Dave
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I agree! I think Indy's hat and jacket look good it ToD- and I'd say that the ToD style hat would suit most people better that the straighter, higher, ROLA hat...
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I've got an old Keppler hat that's tapered so much that I'm thinking of turning it into a TOD hat....but I've got to trim the brim first. Everything else shrunk down on it except for the brim.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

DR Ulloa wrote:I think the ToD hat gets slammed more than it deserves. In fact, the LC hat is my least favorite, not the ToD.

Crismans, I love that hat. Do you have any recent pictures of it?

Dave
Thanks Dave! To be honest though, I didn't wear any hat that often this summer (Don't come after me. I'm becoming a big time wearer in the winter. I just feel more comfortable in a fedora with a button up, long sleeved shirt) so it's not changed that much since that picture. I plan to wear it a lot this winter and break it in properly.

And I agree that the ToD hat gets a lot of undeserved negative attention. I think the majority of it comes from the plane hat (which I don't believe is as badly tapered as it looks. Willie grabbed it and crumpled it and Indy didn't fix it before putting it on his head). There are some great hats in Temple: the scene I chose, the bridge hat, and the "camp" hat are very nice.

I also have to agree with djd that the Temple look might actually be better suited for most people (myself included) than the Raiders look. Not that I don't love the Raiders hat but it's a fact I've had to face. :D
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25920&hilit=TOD+fedora

This is a link to my original TOD post. My first AB was a TOD back in August 2006. I tightened the front pinch a bit. That is my TOD in the avatar.

Paul ô¿ô
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

WE NEED MORE TEMPLE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

again..the hat changes in every other scene..Its not that bad of a hat and honestly until the last year I didnt really know any difference in any of the hats,jackets or anything for that matter and Ive seen all the movies probably 100x..
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

Temple, my favorite movie ...
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

My Magnoli HJ ToD :)
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Kredepops wrote:Image

My Magnoli HJ ToD :)
This is a nice looking fedora. It has a nice lived in look. Is that a display hat or is it ever worn?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

kredepops_ I REALLY like that fedora...its the first ever non-Raiders Indy hat I have ever done a double take on. I`d like to find one that looks just like that one! Very nice.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

I have just ordered a ToD Penman and I am super excited to own such a fine quality hat from my favorite movie.
Anyways, has anyone ever seen this for sale at screenused.com
just go to archive and temple of doom if this link doesn't work.

http://www.screenused.com/index.cfm?sec ... ndyhat.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the actual hat from Temple of Doom

I find it funny that the hat in the plane is the same as the one in the bridge scene but everyone hates the plane scene and loves the bridge scene. Or am I or are they wrong??
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I do find it funny that people hate the plane scene hat in TOD but don't give thought that the hat got mangled by Willie and Indy never fixed it. He just plopped it on his head.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Well, I must be the only one who does like the 'plane sceen hat.' That sceen is the one that stayed with me the most after first viewing of TOD! I just thought it looked relaxed and kinda cool! No SOC, but certainly worth note, in it's own right! W>
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

erikgunnlugson wrote:I have just ordered a ToD Penman and I am super excited to own such a fine quality hat from my favorite movie.
Anyways, has anyone ever seen this for sale at screenused.com
just go to archive and temple of doom if this link doesn't work.

http://www.screenused.com/index.cfm?sec ... ndyhat.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the actual hat from Temple of Doom

I find it funny that the hat in the plane is the same as the one in the bridge scene but everyone hates the plane scene and loves the bridge scene. Or am I or are they wrong??
Interesting...I hadn't seen this link before.

It makes an interesting case with regards to the bow details and some of the creases, but if you look at the little photo of Indy at the top where he's got the machete and then look at the screencap of the cockpit scene, that's not the same hat. If it is the same hat, it must have gotten wet and tapered, which would seem to indicate that the cockpit scene was shot after the bridge scene, in which case it makes sense that the creases in the ribbon they identify match.

It irks me that the Screenused page didn't take any pictures of the liner or even state any other details about the hat that might solve the Stetson/HJ confusion.
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

Your right, it would have been nice to see the liner.
It could also be that the bridge scene and the hanging bridge scene use different hats. All debatable I suppose. More likely we are just ](*,).
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

erikgunnlugson wrote:Your right, it would have been nice to see the liner.
It could also be that the bridge scene and the hanging bridge scene use different hats. All debatable I suppose. More likely we are just ](*,).
That's certainly possible, since those scenes were shot in different countries (the bridge scene shot on location in Sri Lanka, versus the hanging bridge scene shot on the Elstree back lot).

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, I remember theorizing once about the cockpit hat being a Stetson because of the taper, but Steve chimed in and said that he was pretty darn sure that the cockpit hat was a rabbit hat that had shrunk after exposure to water (because of the way the felt had pulled away from the inside of the ribbon).
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

jlee562 wrote:Well, I remember theorizing once about the cockpit hat being a Stetson because of the taper, but Steve chimed in and said that he was pretty darn sure that the cockpit hat was a rabbit hat that had shrunk after exposure to water (because of the way the felt had pulled away from the inside of the ribbon).
I'm confused: Stetson makes rabbit fur felt hats, so why could it not be a Stetson if it was rabbit? :?

Nebraska S.
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

I'm going to watch the movie again to see if i can spot if it is the same hat that got wet.

just a question. if you saw another random fedora that looked as rough as the screen used one, would you wear it? Reblock it and replace the ribbon or is it too far gone? My grandfather had an old fedora that I could have gotten but decided it looked too cruddy.
Was that a mistake?
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

oh and darthbish
your Tod hat pic is my screensaver now.
:D
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

NES wrote:
jlee562 wrote:Well, I remember theorizing once about the cockpit hat being a Stetson because of the taper, but Steve chimed in and said that he was pretty darn sure that the cockpit hat was a rabbit hat that had shrunk after exposure to water (because of the way the felt had pulled away from the inside of the ribbon).
I'm confused: Stetson makes rabbit fur felt hats, so why could it not be a Stetson if it was rabbit? :?

Nebraska S.
Mea culpa, my bad phrasing. That it was rabbit was inconsequential to it being a Stetson or not. I thought it was the Stetson because of the taper, Steve thought the taper was due to having been shrunk. Which I suppose doesn't answer the question of whether or not it's a Stetson, but he identified the taper as being due to shrinkage as opposed to having been blocked that way ala the Temple.