Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Post by Michaelson »

Bravo! :clap:

and....

:M: :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

SJack, that has to be one of the best Raiders jackets I have ever seen, period! THAT ONE is surely a keeper, I would think, no? Er, yes, I mean, no...? :?

Wear it in good health...er... good form, whichever happens first! ;) :tup:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Thanks Texan Scott.

It is definitely a keeper. At least as long as it fits, so I guess I do need to wear it in good health! In fact I better go for a quick walk. :D
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I was working on a big reveal, with a complicated narrative to go along with it, but I figured I should just get the pictures up and worry about the details later. During the aforementioned trip to Nowak's shop, someone (it was either Riley or his friend Jay? Jason?) handed me a heavy, stiff Raiders jacket.

Turns out it was Tony's personal shiny goatskin Indy I jacket, #022/888. Whoa.

I tried it on and although it was slightly too big for me, I ended up wearing it a while in the shop. Several of us, including kwad, were standing around in the office talking, and Riley looked up at me from his chair and said, "You like that jacket." More of a statement than a question. I had to admit that I did. I had cash with me but hadn't really planned to buy anything, but there was no way I was going to let this piece of history get away. Later I asked Riley what he was looking to get for it and we worked it out. On the advice of the others, I had Luis (Nowak's head sewing guy) snug it up in the chest and shoulders. It's godawful stiff, but everyone said it will soften as I wear it.

When I went back on Monday to pick it up, I talked to Luis at length and got a lot of interesting info about Tony and the shop and its future. (Again, mostly in Spanish, so I'm sure I missed a lot.) So I'm glad I drove up to the shop. I met some cool fellow Indy fans and basked in some Indy history.

I never expected to own a Nowak, and now I'm the proud owner of two. :shock:
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Oildale,

That is one jacket that should NEVER leave your collection. It has such unique character to it, that I have not seen in any other from TNO. But I do believe there was only one other person who had a Raiders made up from the same hide that was used for yours. To top it all off, you got Tony's personal jacket. :tup: So make sure you get some good use out of it as it was intended. :TOH:

And you were correct about the current shop. Riley was selling off all the various jackets that had accumulated over time at the building and then relocating to a smaller location. Supposedly, once every thing gets sorted out and the new site is up and running, he should be able to start receiving orders again.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Oildale, that is one heck of a gorgeous jacket, and not only that, but it's Tony's personal jacket too! Wear it in good health and put up some more photos of it once it starts to soften up a bit.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

"That....belongs....in a museum....." ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Oildale: It's really good to know that THAT jacket made it into your hands.
Congrats on that pretty special item that's now in your care.
:TOH:
Crash
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Crash »

I saw a post on the rpf about jackets and it's honestly the first time I have heard of a Nowak jacket. :oops:

So, this is probably a stupid question but short of going through all the pages in this thread, does Tony Nowak still sell these jackets? After hearing all the reviews, I may have to move on from a Wested to a Nowak if he still does. I'm a Raiders fan first and foremost, of course.

Edit: I just read that Tony passed. Very sad indeed.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

ShanghaiJack wrote:Since ReturningSon's photos aren't up anymore I'd thought I'd post some of this jacket, because I am now the new proud owner of TN 888 #74! :D
Don't worry, I'm smiling on the inside. ;)

This has to be one of my alltime favorite Raiders jackets on the boards, and I don't say that necessarily because I am trying to take it from him mind you....although... :-k ....if you'll just look over there for a second, S.Jack, just over there beyond...those....TREES! Darn! I guess he heard that one before. I'll have to regroup and adopt a new strategy? :-k

Anyway, there are not many Indy reproduction jackets that simply have that "X" factor, but this one reeks of it. The leather just has that throwback look, and undoubtedly, the size being a 1:1 copy of the Hero specs must have contributed to this particular perfect storm. Enjoy it, S. Jack, and I would not even think twice about any other jacket. THAT's it! 8) ....just surprised it slipped through so many hands..? :?

Any chance of a close-up of the leather? :-k

Have a look:

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Crash wrote:I saw a post on the rpf about jackets and it's honestly the first time I have heard of a Nowak jacket. :oops:

So, this is probably a stupid question but short of going through all the pages in this thread, does Tony Nowak still sell these jackets? After hearing all the reviews, I may have to move on from a Wested to a Nowak if he still does. I'm a Raiders fan first and foremost, of course.

Edit: I just read that Tony passed. Very sad indeed.
Tony's jackets are built tough. Tony often told his customers to 'Beat the #ell out of them.' I wear mine almost daily here in the NW.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Texan Scott wrote:This has to be one of my alltime favorite Raiders jackets on the boards, and I don't say that necessarily because I am trying to take it from him mind you....although... :-k ....if you'll just look over there for a second, S.Jack, just over there beyond...those....TREES! Darn! I guess he heard that one before. I'll have to regroup and adopt a new strategy? :-k

Anyway, there are not many Indy reproduction jackets that simply have that "X" factor, but this one reeks of it. The leather just has that throwback look, and undoubtedly, the size being a 1:1 copy of the Hero specs must have contributed to this particular perfect storm. Enjoy it, S. Jack, and I would not even think twice about any other jacket. THAT's it! 8) ....just surprised it slipped through so many hands..? :?

Any chance of a close-up of the leather? :-k
Thanks TS :TOH:
I'll see what I can do about those photos, but it'll probably be later in the week.

SJ
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Hi all..

I bought a jacket from Mike over on Filmjackets.com recently, so, from being someone who'd never considered owning a Nowak at all, I've managed to turn into someone who owns a Crystal Skull LE Nowak... He just sent it over to me, so it'll be a few days until I can show photos... And the size was one size up from me, but I suspect it'll fit rather well given the measurements he's told me about..

Just buzzed and wanted to talk about it really! I'll post photos when it arrives here of course..

Oh, and did everyone else notice that http://www.tonynowak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to be slowly coming back to life again? Riley might be kicking things off online again perhaps? If so, that's great to hear too, as it'll be more to drool over online....

Regards!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Oh, Mike may well have thrown photos of it up here somewhere, but if not, it's no. 612/777

For those who are keeping note.. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Having gone back to the start reading all of this thread, it appears that we've come full circle here with the jacket I bought...Mike bought his on page one of this thread...Two weeks after the film came out, he showed it on page three for the first time....

Very, very cool stuff re-reading all of this again actually...Crazy history right here..

Back...To the future? ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What's his forum name here? :-k

Oh, and just a warning, don't be surprised at the physical weight. That's the one thing that seems to catch us all by surprise when we first pulled them out of the bag....but after you get past that initial shock, it's a treat!

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:What's his forum name here? :-k Regards! Michaelson
IndyBlues

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ah, Blues, yeah. #-o

We have so many 'Mike's' around here, it's hard to them all apart. :lol:

Thanks! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Sorry, yeah, IndyBlues....

And yes, the weight is something I'm hoping to be shocked by if that makes sense? I have a Vanson, and the first time I opened the box on that I think I sprained something..But that's the best part of it..Nothing beats a well made heavyweight jacket...

I'm not entirely sure about it, but it looked like Mike was one of the first with the quote asked to be put in as well? "It's not the years......"... It seems to have caught on after he said he'd done so, although I could very easily have missed an earlier post..

Regards..
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

'Heavyweight' is definitely the operative word. :lol:

It's my 'go-to' jacket in cold weather, though...and that's a fact. :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Sounds good to me..It's still (silly) hot here in Tokyo..But not so bad compared to summer, and it'll be down to Winter temps in a few months...Which means it'll be perfect to wear in a month or so I'd guess? My custom Raiders from Wested was a Cowhide, and that was noticeably heavier than the lamb, but from what you say Nowak's were heavier still? If so, then I'm in for a treat...

Thanks for the heads up Sir. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Just to be clear on things. He still in biz making arnold classic and the like of. He is selling off a lot of stuff and moving locations to a smaller space. It was writen as if he is out sources things but he is NOT out sourcing. He is still using the same people who worked for Tony. Rileys main push is to keep those same people in work.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Well the jacket arrived last night, and happily, fits perfectly for a Crystal Skull jacket!! I was happy and lucky to see that!

This has already been shown on P.3 of this thread, but here it is in it's current state, and with a new owner! But nothing else has changed...Mike (IndyBlues) took the label out of the collar and sewed it into the case instead, which I think works well..I'm leaving it off, since I can see what he meant about the possibility that it might show through given time and wear....His name and lettering also won't be changed...

So, here she is! No. 612 of 777...Sold on the 12th of June 2008...And she's a beauty..

Full jacket..

Collar close up...(I LOVE this collar..)

Full jacket again..

And lastly, me wearing it!

I promise I'll get some proper shots this weekend with full gear on, since I think that's the only way to see the full effect of the quality of this jacket..But..I wanted to share...

I love this thing! (And, since I said before that my LAST jacket was my "last jacket", I shan't make that claim again here...It's silly...But, she's a beaut...)

Regards.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Congratulations, a real beauty! Wear it in good health. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thank you Sir!

I suspect I'll be wearing it in good health AND bad actually...It's surprisingly easy to wear for such a heavy jacket...(Michaelson, well called Sir...It is indeed, but feels "solid"? Like I always imagined the Indy jacket should....Until I came here and started reading more.. :TOH: )

Regards
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

"Solid". That's the perfect describer word. Looks good on you! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Michaelson wrote:"Solid". That's the perfect describer word. Looks good on you! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Thank you Sir..

It is entirely right for the jacket no? I'd said it about my Vanson X-1...But never expected to say it for an Indy jacket...And even though I knew the Crystal Skull version was cowhide, I still hadn't expected to get a jacket that I could take off, swing around and knock people out with... :twisted:

It's a weapon in and of itself.. :whip:

Thank you for the compliment.

My regards. :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks good. :TOH: Once it cools off in these parts, I'll be wearing mine again. I like your collar too. Mine's a bit pointier, which I don't prefer so much. How's the back length compare to the front length on yours?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Looks good. :TOH: Once it cools off in these parts, I'll be wearing mine again. I like your collar too. Mine's a bit pointier, which I don't prefer so much. How's the back length compare to the front length on yours?
I'm at work so can't really start measuring without garnering some strange looks, but from a quick check I'd say that perhaps the front is 2-3cm or so longer than the back?

Just a fingers width and some..When held by the shoulder seam...
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Fifthchamber, that jacket really suits you, sir. It makes me think I might need to start looking for a TN CS jacket to add to the collection.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Every now and again I kick myself for not pulling the trigger on a TNO CS while Tony was still alive. For me, my interest in getting one ended with his passing. If I was going to get one, I wanted the full "Tony Experience." Sigh.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Every now and again I kick myself for not pulling the trigger on a TNO CS while Tony was still alive. For me, my interest in getting one ended with his passing. If I was going to get one, I wanted the full "Tony Experience." Sigh.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hmmm..I agree...I think that the jackets are still as fine as ever, however, a large part of the "Nowak experience" seems to have been the "extra" that Tony always threw in with the jacket....Re-reading this thread all the way through, it was clear that the thing that brought people back for seconds, thirds or more, and pulled in many people as well, was simply Tony being "Tony"...It is a REAL shame that I missed that...

The closest I can get is the jacket passed on, and the stories that go along with it....That's a decent alternative, but I think I can see what Jeff means...It seems to have been a MAJOR part of why the Nowak jackets are so well loved..

Well, as I promised, some photos of the jacket in full gear...I realised that actually, I have all the gear to make a Crystal Skulls "set" now actually....I'd always been focused on Raiders, but since I can now "cover" Skulls, well..Why not?

First, straight on...(You can see the length of the arms is a touch longer than I'd choose for a custom, but they also haven't been "pushed up" on the arms much, so there's room for manoeuvre there too)

(Excuse the beard..)

And my "Blue Steel"...LOL ;)

Regards! :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That seems to be the right fit for a CS. In the film, Ford's jacket seemed to hang a bit longer on him than in previous films. The one I have fits me perfectly (no complaints!) but it isn't the right fit as compared to the jacket worn in the film. MIne fits more like an LC.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Agreed with that, aye...I watched the film again today (a lady friend of mine HADN'T ever watched ANY!!! So...I needed to make sure that "error" was sorted out...), and I agree, for the most part of the scenes, the jacket is larger on him than in Raiders...Mine might be a touch longer, but as I said, the sleeves aren't too pushed yet, so I may have a go working those in a touch more?

Depending! :TOH:
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

It looks good, but it's the shoulders that let you down, size-wise. Far too much 'droop', even for a CS jacket.
It's a fine line between comfortably baggy and just sloppy.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Kevin Anderson wrote:It looks good, but it's the shoulders that let you down, size-wise. Far too much 'droop', even for a CS jacket.
LOL...Someone should have told Harrison Ford that then eh?

http://robsmovievault.files.wordpress.c ... rd__1_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it me? Or are his shoulder seams in pretty much the exact same spot as those on mine? About 3-4 cm down from the "actual" shoulder?

I do see what you mean, you're just not right in my opinion... :TOH:

(Or rather, the fit isn't perfect, but it's at the sleeves, not the shoulder where that "imperfection" makes itself seen....Since this photo, I was caught in a rain shower, two actually, while walking home and the jacket got a natural soaking....It's been drying all night, and appears to have been "pinched" in on some areas..I also pushed up the sleeves and have managed to reduce the arms back to above the knuckles....The first photo I showed above shows the "natural lie" of the jacket better, the gear ones I couldn't get the jacket to sit well in the time I had, so it's a little unnatural....However, I disagree with your opinion)
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

fifthchamber wrote:
Kevin Anderson wrote:It looks good, but it's the shoulders that let you down, size-wise. Far too much 'droop', even for a CS jacket.
LOL...Someone should have told Harrison Ford that then eh?

http://robsmovievault.files.wordpress.c ... rd__1_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it me? Or are his shoulder seams in pretty much the exact same spot as those on mine? About 3-4 cm down from the "actual" shoulder?

I do see what you mean, you're just not right in my opinion... :TOH:

(Or rather, the fit isn't perfect, but it's at the sleeves, not the shoulder where that "imperfection" makes itself seen....Since this photo, I was caught in a rain shower, two actually, while walking home and the jacket got a natural soaking....It's been drying all night, and appears to have been "pinched" in on some areas..I also pushed up the sleeves and have managed to reduce the arms back to above the knuckles....The first photo I showed above shows the "natural lie" of the jacket better, the gear ones I couldn't get the jacket to sit well in the time I had, so it's a little unnatural....However, I disagree with your opinion)
Fair enough, you're the one wearing it! :)
I just think Harrison's looks like a jacket. A baggy jacket, but a jacket. The fit of yours makes it look more like a coat. A long, wide coat.
It's a wonderful leather though. Mine got soaked a few times. Really soaked, right through. I walked in the rain deliberately all the time.
It's amazing how quickly it dried too. Maybe that's why it was chosen for the film?
I reckon mine did shrink a bit eventually. That might be something for you to look forward to!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yeah, it's almost dried out now...And yes, smaller by a half size maybe? I can't really see the difference on the shoulders, perhaps a touch? But the whole thing feels more "form fitted" now...

I spoke with Mike about it, and he mentioned that he'd not soaked it before sending it to me, which accounts for the size change with water..It's not much, but since it's the "first" soaking, it's taken some off, and while I still happen to think the shoulders are in the same place as Ford's (I think it's a combo of the shoulders AND the sleeves that made it look too large on me before), the sleeves have come up with the wrinkling I gave them last night and this morning while it dried..

I'd showered with a Wested Hero on, and found the same thing there, about a half size, size difference? Enough to make a decent jacket "your jacket"? If it makes sense? And it seems to have happened again with the Nowak..

The colour has deepened too actually..Looking perhaps closer to the colour I see in Crystal Skulls, and less light than it was before, but that again will change once it stops raining and the jacket can fully air-dry...

I'd planned a day out with a friend next week, and if she's game I'll take some more photos to show you what happened with the soaking...I know Tony said to "beat the cr@p outta them", but, I think ACTUALLY doing it is always a big of worry....Having done so (by mistake, but worked in this morning), I'd have to say it REALLY works the jacket into something special....

John, apologies...I'd never met Tony...But I've been bodybuilding since I was 14, and had seen him in that movie so much that I can understand what you feel...I'm sorry to keep bringing him up here..Although, I'd also say that that's the BEST way to remember him as well...

Regards..
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I felt this photo shows the shoulders more in the place they tend to sit if I'm wearing the jacket right...

This photo was also taken with the rest, but since my eyes were shut I didn't upload it... ;)
Anyway..This gives a better picture of why I happen to think the size is about right...Since getting soaked it's shrunk a touch more, but I felt this was close enough at the time...

Regards.. :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Am I the only one, who thinks that this hat is too tall for you? Seriously, you should consider ordering shorter crowns.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yeah, in some shots I agree, it does look too tall...But then in others, it's fine...While wearing it, I don't feel that it's too high at all...Not sure about the why of it all...

In person it doesn't appear this tall really...Is all I can throw up to that.. ;)

And yeah, considering this was an Adventurebilt, I didn't want to order a shorter crown actually....It works fine..Just, as I say, in some shots..

(As an example of what I mean, my avatar is a Penman with the same height, perhaps a touch more, and white, but looks fine...So...I dunno...Just the shot, essentially..)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hm, I replied to this earlier, but maybe didn't hit submit. :oops:

I think the hat fits fine, especially in the "blue steel" picture on the previous page. If it looks too tall it's the angles of the pictures.

And I think the jacket fits great. I'm looking forward to seeing post-rain pictures.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thanks Jeff...I agree...But I can also see why people think it's taller than I see it as being too..In the photo mentioned it does look tall...But it really isn't....Very odd...

And yes, the jacket is almost back to the colour it was before it got wet actually...Slightly darker perhaps? Lovely skin....Tony choose extremely well in that regards (I'd expected that, but it's still lovely to see firsthand)..

I'll have the photos up this weekend I hope...If it's not raining again (Strange weather here recently..)

Regards.. :TOH:
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

Great looking jacket and IMO the CS jacket looks bigger on HF too. What size is this? Looking at your jacket, I wish my CN TN was a little baggier.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I'm usually a 46, and this is a 48...Mike mentioned it fit him like a 46 G&B though, which is something I've tried on and agree with (But to be sure I'd need to have had more than the one fitting)...

:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....I plead the Fifth! :P

You know, possibly a few alterations and this jacket would be a great fit, Fifth!? :-k

...the LC/CS front bashed crown height should be around 4 1/4", just less than a Raiders fedora. ;)
The hat is looking a bit like "Abe Lincoln" Jones. :P Just kidding, 5th!
Ranging Robert
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ranging Robert »

If you like the height of the crown on that hat, you could try tightening up the pinch and going a bit lower with it--that may make the hat look awesome!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I think it is just the angle of the photograph that makes the hat look so tall. Other photos of fifth and that hat show a hat that suits him well.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thanks for all the advice(s) <Pumping Iron moment>

But like I said, really, I'm all good with the height and what it looks like on me...It's the shot, not the hat in my opinion...As an example, here's a photo wearing the same hat from a while back...

And it looks fine in my opinion..So no, I'm cool without reducing the height, or adjusting the pinch, or sending it back to Steve...LOL...Really..

This thread is close to being derailed...LOL....So perhaps we could end it there? Or start up a new one, but this is about the jacket eh? Not my hat (which I'm all good with anyway..LOL)

As for the jacket, Tex, actually, it didn't require a seamstress to work on it...I did it in the rain well enough...It's been reduced enough to feel fine, and I'll post pictures later in the week, but the fit wasn't a problem before...Just the sleeves were too long and those have now come up and end at the first knuckle of the thumb....So..Reduced well enough I think..

Regards..