Completed my first bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Completed my first bullwhip

Post by folkprophet »

Hi. New member here! :)

So I finished braiding my first whip. I didn't want to do the first one in leather because I knew I would make mistakes and learn and didn't care if it ended up lasting or cracking well. And, you know, leather is expensive. So I braided this out of vinyl (faux-leather) as a learning experience. Found some bin stuff for $5 a yard at a local fabric store and bought several yards in different color. I'll make a few more out of the vinyl before hitting the leather I think. I do have 2 kangaroo hides waiting to go though when I'm ready. Anyhow here's the pic of my completed whip:

Note a few things I guess. At least things I note.

Taper isn't consistent and there are bulges. It doesn't taper enough. I didn't want to worry about a real fall at this point, so I just braided one and covered it in sports tape. The handle strap twists because the faux-leather twisted when braided tightly. I braided it twice, once right and once wrong (this pic is the wrong one) but they both twisted. Since then I bought some leather lace and braided a strap and it looks as it should, but I don't have a pic of it yet. Let's see... there are serveral other little things too, many of them related to the fact that the vinyl just can't be dealt with the same way as leather (like the knot for the fall attachment...horrible!). Anyhow, I'm working on another one and will post a pic when it's done. Hopefully it'll look a lot better based on what I learned from this one.

I have no frame of reference for this, but it seems to crack pretty easilly. Certainly easier than the cheap leather one my buddy (Crash) has. It also cracks extremely loud. For a first whip made of vinyle, I'm pretty happy.
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Completed my first bullwhip

Post by folkprophet »

Here's a video I shot to show my friend Crash how I figued out the overhead crack, but it also shows the whip in action. The knot on the end had come off at this point because I hadn't secured it well enough. Also, the strands tying the fall on had come partially loose so I just stuck some tape on there as a temp fix. But you get the idea of the whip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2yL8nx ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Welcome aboard, that whip look great for a first effort. Im sure you will be showing us great things in the near future.

Cheers

Bravo
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Welcome! I used vinyl for two whips and really didn't like it. Still though it gave me cheap practice plaiting. You did a good job, and I look forward to seeing your roo whip!
I'd be willing to bet you got those roo hides at tandy, didn't you? Be sure you give each side of the hide a good coat of leather dressing ( I do one at a time ) and let it soak in for about an hour. Dry off the excess with a towel then do the other, then you can start cutting into your hide. Also be sure to grease the strands with plaiting soap before plaiting, because they'll need this extra grease as well as the leather dressing.
IndyFan71
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyFan71 »

That's really impressive! Keep up the good work!

IndyFan71
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

riku1914 wrote:Welcome! I used vinyl for two whips and really didn't like it. Still though it gave me cheap practice plaiting. You did a good job, and I look forward to seeing your roo whip!
I'd be willing to bet you got those roo hides at tandy, didn't you? Be sure you give each side of the hide a good coat of leather dressing ( I do one at a time ) and let it soak in for about an hour. Dry off the excess with a towel then do the other, then you can start cutting into your hide. Also be sure to grease the strands with plaiting soap before plaiting, because they'll need this extra grease as well as the leather dressing.
Well, yeah, every time I crack it I have to fix it 'cause something comes undone or breaks. Vinyl is not a good material for it. But cheap practice plaiting...and practice cutting, and measurments, and technique, etc., etc.... Not perfect still, of course--you can't braid it tightly enough and the like. But still. Cheap.

I got one of the hides at Tandy. They were half off on clearance. The other I ordered a lower quality one off ebay for the internal braids. I'll buy myself some high end natural hides at some point for the ultimate Indy whip. Someday.

Got the plaiting soap stuff all bought and the recipe ready. Leather dressing as well as plaiting soap, huh? Is that advice because they're from Tandy's or just general advice?

Thanks.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I do that on all dry hides ( not drum stuffed ). Otherwise, if it is drum stuffed, I just grease the leather before it's plaited.

Let me give you some advice as far as using the hides. The outside of roo hides is very stretchy. Use the outside out it on bellies. Once you have cut out the bellies, then you use the inside firm leather for the overlay, wrist loop, knots, etc.

The vinyl I used was the vinyl lace that's reinforced with nylon from tandy. Again, it's terrible for whip making, but it was cheap practice.