Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Zoltar »

:D my Hero should be on it's way back from Wested today, I sent it in for a minor alteration ;)
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

ReturningSon wrote:yes, please do! ;)
Here you go:

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Looks dang good to me!
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

Very happy with my (non SA! HERO jacket) from wested.

Requested to the same length as my Custom RoLa Jacket from 2009 ie 28 inches long, see the Link http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44509
Size 46, the purpose was to have a winter jacket that I can fit a heavy sweater underneath.

The strange thing is that the hero model behaves an act longer than the RoLa jacket, around 2 inches!
I guess it has to do with the off shoulder cut and the higher collar hole?

Anyway I like it!
Somehow, the jacket has that sloppy raiders feeling :lol:

The problem when you go up in size on these jackets they quickly lose that SA look. The pockets are too small, sidestraps are too low, the pockets are too low, etc.

That's the problem if you're tall, you rapidly lose proportions :(

And just for fun :D

me and Devil.

Enjoy ! Cheers / Joakim
Last edited by Rudolf on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Wow, why didn't Wested upscale the pockets? They look so tiny!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Admittedly, Wested does seem to have a bit of an issue in keeping things proportional...
but, daaaaannnnng that's still a pretty nifty lookin' jacket!
:) :tup:

Rudolph, those photos of yours look FANTASTIC!

Love 'em! :clap:

GREAT job!

:TOH:
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Admittedly, Wested does seem to have a bit of an issue in keeping things proportional...
but, daaaaannnnng that's still a pretty nifty lookin' jacket!
:) :tup:

Rudolph, those photos of yours look FANTASTIC!

Love 'em! :clap:

GREAT job!

:TOH:
:TOH: Thanks Mitch
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

Tundrarider wrote:Great pics, Joakim!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The "understated" (if you will) pockets and collar are part of what I love about my Expedition. (Pockets are around 6 1/4" x 7 3/4" and it's a 44T)

Great gear shots! My favorite (of course ;) ) is the partial zipped shot in #3.
:TOH: Thanks Michael
Sounds like your pockets are the same size as on my jacket then, but would have needed to be 9 x 8 :-k But again I like it! O:)
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

CRB wrote:
Here you go:

CRB's hide looks nothing like the Shrunken Lamb I recieved, I'm expecting mine back today I'll get some pictures taken. There seems to be a huge variation in this hide! This definatly has a much better look than the uniform colour I have.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Ah but mine started off different - I've given it a coat of neatsfoot oil, given it a light soaking, put it through the tumble dryer and sandpapered it all over. And funny enough it feels like it's getting bigger !
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Becoming unshrunk?
Actually, mine looks pretty similar, although all I've done is wet it and wear it. It's gained loads of scuffs and highlights and looks genuinely old.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I've received my Hero in dk brown lamb few days ago. First thought - amazing. I love the collar width and length, that's what I was looking for in Indy jacket. Second plus - Wested followed my pocket size specs.
There is one problem however. I've ordered it with 26" back and 27.5" sleeves. Sleeves are perfect length, but I think that the jacket is simply too long. The back without collarstand is as long as the stormflap with collarstand, another win in my book. You know that I'm tall guy, last time I've measured myself, it was 6ft 3.5" (191+cm). Front falls at about the same place as my old ROTLA, back falls shorter, which I like.
I have measured it and guess what? The back is 64.5cm (25.4") long from under collarstand to hem, and front is the same length - 64.5cm (25.4"). That is too long in that pattern, especially when I want to have the short jacket, just like in the movie.
I'm returning it and going with shorter back. But what back length should I order?
I usually wear pants 2+ in below my bellybutton, not as high as HF in the series. I know that the jacket will shrink with wear, but I don't know what should I do.
Sorry, I can't take any pics, as I left my camera at home.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

whiskyman wrote:Here'S a video of both jackets to show how thex hang and move. Actually the SL is looking better. You can see why I ordered it a little longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwXOTjBa ... e=youtu.be
"This video has been removed by user" =(

That's depressing.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

CRB wrote:It's the new arrival of shunken lamb
I may have missed if this has been answered...I tried to find the info, but...

Can someone give me an idea of the SL here as compared to a TODDS Standard? As we all know, Todds is very light, like a plastic windbreaker, yet sturdy and has a great pattern. I am interested in the weight, for lack of a better word. And I must have that Raiders Opening Idol Scene look and fit. The Todds Med. fits me perfectly.

I have several Indy Jackets, they are all too heavy! (even though they look fine...except for the Todds which is too light). I want a nice spring/ fall, 40's to 60"s outside coat, not a heavy winter heater. This sure looks right, but I've been fooled too many times to trust my eyes. :-k

Any Advice?
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

It's heavy for lamb, mine weighed 1.7Kg
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

It's heavier than regular lamb, but it doesn't feel heavy to wear - if that makes much sense! :roll:
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

The jacket bug has hit me again! I just ordered my 6th Raiders jacket since 1997 (5 Wested, plus 1 USWings Legend)! This is the only place I can reveal that and not get looked at like I'm crazy. ;)
It's a Seal Brown Lambskin Hero in size 46. I asked for a 26.5 back length. I usually order a 27 from Wested but that wasn't an option on the order form. I let them know this in an email.

How do you guys who own a standard Raiders and a Hero feel about the length? I've read here that the Hero is fitting both longer and shorter than a similar length Raiders. Do any of you tall guys have an opinion? I'm 6'2".

thanks! :)
Last edited by indy1936 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

RayROnline wrote:
CRB wrote:It's the new arrival of shunken lamb
I may have missed if this has been answered...I tried to find the info, but...

Can someone give me an idea of the SL here as compared to a TODDS Standard? As we all know, Todds is very light, like a plastic windbreaker, yet sturdy and has a great pattern. I am interested in the weight, for lack of a better word. And I must have that Raiders Opening Idol Scene look and fit. The Todds Med. fits me perfectly.

I have several Indy Jackets, they are all too heavy! (even though they look fine...except for the Todds which is too light). I want a nice spring/ fall, 40's to 60"s outside coat, not a heavy winter heater. This sure looks right, but I've been fooled too many times to trust my eyes. :-k

Any Advice?
If the Todd's standard is too light, try to pick up a used Bantu Wind. That's the first Todd's jacket that I've owned, and while I hear that the standard is windbreaker light, the Bantu Wind is quite substantial without being heavy. I don't think Todd liked the leather for some reason, but I think it's a great combination of a thicker lambskin with a lightweight feel.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Has anyone had any issues with a Wested coming to the USA via DHL? It looks like the jacket has been in a "Clearance Delay: DHL needs further information from the importer" for days now. The DHL rep says this is a standard message and they don't need info (which contradicts what they tracking says). I've heard some horror stories about DHL. :-k thanks guys
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

indy1936 wrote:The jacket bug has hit me again! I just ordered my 6th Raiders jacket since 1997 (5 Wested, plus 1 USWings Legend)! This is the only place I can reveal that and not get looked at like I'm crazy. ;)
It's a Seal Brown Lambskin Hero in size 46. I asked for a 26.5 back length. I usually order a 27 from Wested but that wasn't an option on the order form. I let them know this in an email.

How do you guys who own a standard Raiders and a Hero feel about the length? I've read here that the Hero is fitting both longer and shorter than a similar length Raiders. Do any of you tall guys have an opinion? I'm 6'2".

thanks! :)
-Harry
I was wondering about this too. I'm 6'4" though and want to get the Dark brown lamb Hero and was wondering if anyone had pics. Wanted to see that, the shrunken lamb is tempting though.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I'm 6'3" and have ordered Hero with 26.5" back and it was too long. I have returned it and have them make me a new one, with 25" back. Believe me, even if you are tall, go with shorter back than usual, because that pattern makes that it falls at about the same place as my ROTLA with 27" back (front especially). And the jacket was short, so don't make a coat out of it. If you want longer jacket, go with standard raiders.
Mine should arrive in about 10 days. I will post some review when it comes.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I'm fascinated that the pattern slides around so much it can seem so much longer.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

tomek9210 wrote:I'm 6'3" and have ordered Hero with 26.5" back and it was too long. I have returned it and have them make me a new one, with 25" back. Believe me, even if you are tall, go with shorter back than usual, because that pattern makes that it falls at about the same place as my ROTLA with 27" back (front especially). And the jacket was short, so don't make a coat out of it. If you want longer jacket, go with standard raiders.
Mine should arrive in about 10 days. I will post some review when it comes.
Did you take pics? Where did it fall on you, and did you measure how long it was? If you order 26.5, you should get 26.5. 25" seems too short. I'd rather have it too long than too short, especially being tall.
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

JC
I'm 9,5 and if you look at my pictures a little higher up on this page you will see my jacket when it was new, exactly 28 long!
Would say that 26 had been more moderate, but I'm happy with a slightly longer jacket when the plan was to have it as a winter jacket.
I would say that the hero jacket falls 1,5 - 2 inches further down than the other jackets.....

;) /Cheers
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up ordering a 46 with back length of 27. I'll post some pics and sizing info when it arrives. Hopefully it has the smaller yoke!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Sorry no pics. It falled well below my belt in my jeans with modern cut and rise. Imagine that with Indy style pants with high rise. I will post some pics when the new one comes.
Keep fingers crossed!

Jacket length is a matter of everybody's taste, but when you decide for particular pattern, my thinking is to go with the optimal length, similiar to what I see on screen and not changing it to my liking. Want to have a Hero jacket? Go with length which will look like on screen (that's why every vendor made their jackets). Want to have just Indy jacket? Go with another one, adjusted to your liking.
Cheers
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I received my new Hero yesterday and it is awesome. Best jacket I have ever owned, and most SA. Just right length, I love how the back is shorter than front when on shoulders. It's just covers my belt on jeans. The cut is very comfortable, better than my previous Rotla. When I wear it, I just feel like it jumped out of screen to get on my back, great job Peter and the crew :TOH:
I'll post some pics soon.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

awesome, Tomek . so glad you found one that you really like. can't wait for the pics!
=P~
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Yep, it's great, btw the yoke is 5" high. Now it needs some breaking in to get rid of the fashion jacket look and gain some character. Pics later today.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Tomek.. are you in Warsaw now?
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Yes, PM sent.
I've managed to take some pics. It's a dark brown lamb, but in that light it looks like Raven bar chocolate jacket. I love it.
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293727_dsc01887.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293728_dsc01888.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293729_dsc01889.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293730_dsc01890.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Very nice Tomek!
I like the look of the dark brown lamb :tup:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Really great fit, Tomek. I know that was a big contention with you and it seems your perserverence paid off. Now break that sucker in!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Tomek, great looking jacket. :tup: I ordered mine with a 26.5" back even though we're about the same height and you said yours was too long. I like my jacket a bit longer for an Indy jacket. I think for us tall guys a "longer" jacket looks better. But its all about taste. We'll see how mine is once I get it, it was dispatched today. I should get it next week.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

This JACKET looks so good and thin! Enjoy the heck out of it! Is there "authentic brown" version available from this leather? Again,SO thin!
CRB wrote:
Here you go:

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

tomek9210 wrote:Yes, PM sent.
I've managed to take some pics. It's a dark brown lamb, but in that light it looks like Raven bar chocolate jacket. I love it.
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293727_dsc01887.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293728_dsc01888.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293729_dsc01889.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://fotoo.pl/show.php/293730_dsc01890.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't see any pic.. :-k
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

May be tempted with one of these. There are quite a few in wested clearance corner. Seem like a bargain. What do u guys think?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yeah, people are changing their sizes... seems like they are ignoring the fact that the back 'sounds' too short but really isn't and ordering them too long. So a few have come back because they are too long! D'oh!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Thinking of placing an order for a SL Hero pretty soon. Anything I should know about ordering a Hero jacket as far as size goes. I have a size 40 from wested, and it was a custom, and it fits great. I was just wondering if there is any adjustments on the back measurements sleeve measurements or anything else I should be concerned with.

Regards,

IndianaChris711
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I would suggest talking to Peter and seeing if it might be advisable to go down a size. I am usually between a 38 and 40, but with the Hero, for me, the 38 was definitely the way to go.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Hello IC,

You still have that gray Raiders hat? ;)

I ordered my normal size and it fit fine in the chest. However, you might want to know that the jacket is constructed to fit a thin guy, with long arms and somewhat of a thin, short torso, like the the original Raiders jacket made for HF. Keep that in mind. The sleeves and armhole diameters are noticeably narrower than any of his other patterns. I would rank them from fullest cut to thinnest...Raiders, RoLA, HERO. I made the slight mistake of adding to the length of the torso, and it was not needed. Also, since the jacket hangs off the shoulders and if you order your normal sleeve length, it might be slightly too long in the sleeves (by approx. 1/4 to 1/2"), so compensate accordingly, would be my advice. :TOH:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Texan Scott wrote:Hello IC,

You still have that gray Raiders hat? ;)

I ordered my normal size and it fit fine in the chest. However, you might want to know that the jacket is constructed to fit a thin guy, with long arms and somewhat of a thin, short torso, like the the original Raiders jacket made for HF. Keep that in mind. The sleeves and armhole diameters are noticeably narrower than any of his other patterns. I would rank them from fullest cut to thinnest...Raiders, RoLA, HERO. I made the slight mistake of adding to the length of the torso, and it was not needed. Also, since the jacket hangs off the shoulders and if you order your normal sleeve length, it might be slightly too long in the sleeves (by approx. 1/4 to 1/2"), so compensate accordingly, would be my advice. :TOH:
What you said about the Hero pretty much describes me, my arms are fairly long and I am a pretty thin guy, just got a bit of some weight in the gut region. I will have to think about sleeves length, I guess that is what concerned me, I will have to see what my sleeves length is on my previous Wested that fits me already and make some adjustments. Thanks for the information though much appreciated. As for the hat, it was sold. Did you buy I have trouble remembering. Take Care, and hopefully I can order one of these jackets as a b-day present for myself.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Ijust saw Raiders in IMAX and I have to say.....this hero Jacket is looking better and better in my eyes. The collar spread was something I noticed alot during the movie.....
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have just received a "Tibor Special"! One of his Hero jackets that was listed this past Tuesday, and what an amazing jacket it is! This one is thin, dark brown lamb, and looks to be very well made. Just surprised at how thin and light the leather is. This must have been much like the real deal? I'll post pics soon. Thank you, Tibor for truely an outstanding deal! :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ah, you got it! ;)

well, u dont like anymore, u just send to me.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Texan Scott wrote:I have just received a "Tibor Special"! One of his Hero jackets that was listed this past Tuesday, and what an amazing jacket it is! This one is thin, dark brown lamb, and looks to be very well made. Just surprised at how thin and light the leather is. This must have been much like the real deal? I'll post pics soon. Thank you, Tibor for truely an outstanding deal! :TOH:
Glad to find a home for it. It is slightly lighter, and absolutely buttery soft and drapey. I really don't think the dark brown lamb is "darker" so much as "warmer", reddish tones. You are, of course, very welcome Tex. Wear it in good health!
Bubbletonic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Bubbletonic »

I've got a question about the hero jacket and wondered whether anyone could be of assistance here before I ask Wested. :CR:
I'd be ordering almost the smallest size, a 38. Chest measurement is around 35/36 but I planned on buying a 38 to allow for thicker clothing underneath in Winter and to allow a certain degree of slack for shrinkage. My worry is whether a 38 will be too large on my shoulders, I've read in this thread that people get a size smaller in Hero than they are used to simply because of the fit. So I'm about 35/36 around, 20 pit to pit and 21 on my shoulder measurement. I'd normally prefer slightly too large over too small. Maybe I'm over stressing about a small size difference, but I thought I'd ask first! :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Basically, the Hero is an off the shoulders fit, but better to go right to the source and discuss that one with Peter. That way there would be no messups. If there is, he can make it right with you. ;)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Bubbletonic wrote:I've got a question about the hero jacket and wondered whether anyone could be of assistance here before I ask Wested. :CR:
I'd be ordering almost the smallest size, a 38. Chest measurement is around 35/36 but I planned on buying a 38 to allow for thicker clothing underneath in Winter and to allow a certain degree of slack for shrinkage. My worry is whether a 38 will be too large on my shoulders, I've read in this thread that people get a size smaller in Hero than they are used to simply because of the fit. So I'm about 35/36 around, 20 pit to pit and 21 on my shoulder measurement. I'd normally prefer slightly too large over too small. Maybe I'm over stressing about a small size difference, but I thought I'd ask first! :-k
I have a 38 and it measures 20.5 pit to pit. I have a 40-41 inch chest.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

nice jacket K! what skin? makes me want a new jacket and last year I said I was done... I guess it never ends eh? ;)