My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can feel you on the SOC. I love the look of it as far as the movie goes and David does a bang-up job reproducing the hat, but it's not my cup of tea. I would feel too costumy wearing it for everyday use.

That being said, like everyone else, I'm looking forward to pictures!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Indiana Jeff wrote: I would feel too costumy wearing it for everyday use.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
That's it exactly and the reason I'm going to let a it get wet next time it rains :lol:

I think that after I do that it'll be perfect.
:TOH:
-The Dude
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

When I came back from my camping trip, after spending 4 days in a hot, dusty campground, my Garrison had a nice "adventurous" look to it. Not nearly SOC kind of dirt, but still... used. Pretty much all of it is gone now (and the hat needed a good brushing anyway thanks to some dog hair :lol: ). But I did like how even a little bit of dust can add such different character to the hat.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this hat ages.
Pyrodigital
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pyrodigital »

Just ordered my Garrison Idol Grab!!! :D \:D/

Perfect timing as I just finished a 2 week intensive film scoring program taught by Hummie Mann--we actually analyzed ROTLA in class (brilliant work by John Williams & we of course learned how he did the "Ark" theme). :CR:

Can't wait to run from Hovitos! :whip:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

My wife planned a cool overnight getaway to San Diego Zoo Safari Park's "Roar & Snore." I took my Indy gear because I thought there might be some good photo ops, but it was way too hot to go Full Indy. (Not for my son, though—but what does he know?) Still, I wore my Garrison to expose it to a little adventure. (I would have liked to have it trampled by a rhino but no such luck.) Even in temps exceeding 100 degrees, it kept the sun off my face and didn't bake my head. Thanks, David!

(My friends always said I had Neanderthal features, and now I can see they were right.) :(
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

My Girlfriend and I took a little mini-vacation to Frankenmuth Michigan this last week, and made a stop at Bronner's Christmas Wonderland (361 days of non-stop Christmas :Dietrich: ) The weather was right so I decided to wear my Garrison.

Thank goodness I did as we were attacked by a roaming Christmas bear. Without the hat my girlfriend and I would have been bear lunch.

Good thing she had the camera ready to capture the heroic battle.

-bish :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Bish, nice! :lol:
(My friends always said I had Neanderthal features, and now I can see they were right.) :(
Oildale, lid looks great. Garrison's new advertising: "Hats so nice even a caveman can wear one." :CR:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

Great posts, folks. Thanks for the support.

Olidale Jones,
Father and son bonding with their hats and at a zoo. Fantastic! Memories that last forever. :tup:

Bish,
That bear had no clue what it was getting into. I bet he wishes he has stayed in bed. (or as we say in Georgia "stood in bed"). My family and I had a good laugh at your pic of epic heroism. Hat looks great on ya'.

LLS :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:Great posts, folks. Thanks for the support.

Olidale Jones,
Father and son bonding with their hats and at a zoo. Fantastic! Memories that last forever. :tup:

I'd love to get my son a real fedora to replace his floppy Rubies, but I'm afraid he'd outgrow it too quickly. But I'll keep an open mind (and eyes).
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Oildale Jones wrote:
Local Land Surveyor wrote:Great posts, folks. Thanks for the support.

Olidale Jones,

I'd love to get my son a real fedora to replace his floppy Rubies, but I'm afraid he'd outgrow it too quickly. But I'll keep an open mind (and eyes).
Yeah I bought my two grandsons hats from GB and within one year they both outgrew them and the youngest is now wearing the older ones. They were 7 and 10 at the time. I'm going to wait until their heads stop growing from now on.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

hey Indy gang !
just a few words about my newly arrived Garrison (delivered this morning, as a matter of fact).
well, i gotta admit : you can't go wrong with a Garrison...
mine is a Raiders without turn (yeah, to each his own, y'know... turn doesn't agree with me. ) and it's totally gorgeous.
the felt is real nice, in a beautifully rich dark brown, thick and floppy (do i love that quality of felt...)
liner is a thrill in itself, sweatband perfectly comfy, and it's custom made which means it does sit firmly and oh so perfectly on my noggin !
i'm between sizes, so i usually have to add pads to my hats so they fit fine (Akubra Fed deluxe and Henry so far).

i know the drill : post worthless without pics, so i'll post a few ones as soon as i get my camera back (it's someplace with my kids right now).
well i think all has been said already about those great great lids, but i had to chime in to let you know mister G. does have a new very very very delighted customer !
kudos to LLS, or, should i say, as a long life Marvelite : excelsior !
Pyrodigital
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pyrodigital »

Anybody heard from LLS or gotten their hat from him lately? I sent him a PM, but it looks like he hasn't been on COW since before I sent it. Hope everything's okay. I could email him again, but I don't want to bother him if he's really busy.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I contacted him through regular e-mail a week or so ago to ask about possibly ordering another hat from him. Took him a couple of days, but he did get back to me. So I would assume he's pretty busy. Maybe try e-mail?
Pyrodigital
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pyrodigital »

Good to hear everything's OK & he's just really busy. Maybe I'll try him again. I just want to be sure I know when it's out for delivery (right at the 8-week mark now, so probably getting pretty close) in case USPS requires a signature. Plus I want to be there right when it arrives--getting really excited about this hat! :)
bilbo524
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bilbo524 »

I emailed him yesterday about his current wait times. I'll let you know when I hear back.
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Hey fellow Indy fans,
Sorry for the "off the grid" of late. I have been sidetracked with many surveying projects. Today, I have been catching up on emails and PM's. Thank you for your patience.
I am back in the shop this week and this coming weekend.
Just to let ya'll know, not only have I been sidetracked with surveying, I have also been sidetracked with R&D for Garrison Hatters. I have been hinting at some of my future offerings and have been working with my block guy with setting up my hat line that I want to do. Instead of trickling these things out, I have opted to get them all set up at once. I have spent many days and weeks at developing the hat lines that I want to make. I get very excited about these hats and get even more excited from the feed back I get locally from revealing what I am looking at doing. More to come
Again, thank you all for your patience and interest.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's FANTASTIC news, LLS! \:D/

Please post a duplicate announcement in the vendors section so folks can find it and it doesn't get buried in this thread.

HIGH regards, and looking forward to seeing your new list of offerings!
:TOH:
Michaelson
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

That's awesome news, David! If these new offerings have anything to do with the hat I e-mailed you about a week or so ago, then I CAN'T WAIT until you're ready to take my order! \:D/
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Can't wait to see the offerings!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Pyrodigital
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pyrodigital »

Heard from LLS yesterday--my hat is going out next week! :D Belloq doesn't stand a chance of getting the idol this time! ;)
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Pyrodigital wrote:Heard from LLS yesterday--my hat is going out next week! :D Belloq doesn't stand a chance of getting the idol this time! ;)
Obligatory "Pics or it didn't happen" comment for when it arrives! ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Most excellent, David!

Also of note, I have a hat en route to me from him. I sent a vintage Knox Vagabond in desperate need of a rebuild, and from what he tells me, it turned out great. I will be certain to post pics when I get it. And no, it's not an Indy hat, so this may be indicative of the type of offerings he hopes to showcase down the road? :-k
Pyrodigital
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pyrodigital »

I know he did a Bogey fedora for a member here--I think it's a few pages back. Really great looking hat! And he did say a while ago he was working on a TOD block as well--might be fun to get one in Beaver. :whip: Then it could easily withstand the waterfall after rafting out of Lao Che's airplane, but I dont know if any piece of gear, no matter how well built could withstand the full force of Willie complaining! :lol:

"I hate the water! And I hate being wet! And I hate you!"
"Good!" :rolling:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yep, I have two Bogey style Feds from David so I'm hopeful his new offerings will be expanding his line beyond Indy hats.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Super excited Ive just ordered a beaver Fedora in the cairo style, this is mainy just as a costume/display piece as I know the dirtied up look isnt everyones cup of tea for every day use. Ive asked for a relaxed pinch, so complement my LC stlye costume parts.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:tup: Its sure to be a winner! Post 'em up when it gets here!
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I can now safely say that a Garrison hat *WILL* survive a spilled martini just fine.

Don't ask.

:-
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

#-o

Still, better than having the hat filled with a Diet Pepsi. :Dietrich: (Chewbacca Jones learned that the hard way during a Finger Lakes Summit a few years ago.)

BUT, the most important question - gin or vodka? :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Indiana Jeff wrote:BUT, the most important question - gin or vodka? :D
These happened to be vodka martinis, because one of the ladies I was making them for is allergic to gin. ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I've worn my Garrison Raider for over a year, and I mean near-daily wear, in all kinds of weather/humidity and it's still going strong.

Here's how it looked about one week after it hit the one year mark.

Full Year of Photos: HERE.

(Reposted these comments because I've found this to be one great hat. I don't think you'd be upset in ordering one.)
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

I wanted to post a pic of this hat I recently sent to a customer across the pond. It is the Cairo style hat in beaver felt. I am quite pleased at how this style of hat turns out. Making the hat is one thing. Putting on the dirt and distress is another. When I apply the cosmetics, I become more of a costumer. As I have discovered, it takes a different part of the mind to do this. Making it look natural is a real trick. Doing these and studying the film has made me appreciate what a costumer does to make an object look natural (meaning acceptable to the eye). I literally say to myself, as I apply all this stuff, "now how did this get on the hat? and how did that get on the hat?".
One thing I have noted, rabbit felt is easier to get dents and dings in that will stay than beaver felt.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

David, that's an awesome looking hat.
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:Image

I wanted to post a pic of this hat I recently sent to a customer across the pond. It is the Cairo style hat in beaver felt. I am quite pleased at how this style of hat turns out. Making the hat is one thing. Putting on the dirt and distress is another. When I apply the cosmetics, I become more of a costumer. As I have discovered, it takes a different part of the mind to do this. Making it look natural is a real trick. Doing these and studying the film has made me appreciate what a costumer does to make an object look natural (meaning acceptable to the eye). I literally say to myself, as I apply all this stuff, "now how did this get on the hat? and how did that get on the hat?".
One thing I have noted, rabbit felt is easier to get dents and dings in that will stay than beaver felt.
Well I was gunna post some pics but youve beat me to it lol, heres a picture of it on and with the lovely Lara croft aka "the wife"

Agreed about getting the dings to stay, its very easy to shape but doesnt stay well, and every touch adds anouther. But I kinda like that. Im really pleased with it thanks mate

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Lookin' GREAT!
:D
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Another great looking hat!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And another fine looking Garrison! Very natural looking distressing and looks very natural on your noggin 4505marcel.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Thanks guys, Im super happy with it ;)
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Hey 4505marcel,
Didn't mean to beat you to the post. I just really like the way you beaver Cairo style hat turned out. Your hat does look great on you. Thanks for posting your convention picture. Your wife makes a great Lady Croft! Ya'll are a good looking team.

Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Any appearance of the garrison temple yet haha?
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Been wearing my Garrison quite a bit lately as its been cold up here. Wore it out on a snowy day and it held up great. Such a comfortable hat!
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Aragorn658 wrote:Any appearance of the garrison temple yet haha?
second that !
come on now ! i think i NEED a new lid like that... :[
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm not interested in a TOD, but I'm hopeful 2013 will bring other new offerings from David.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I'm not interested in a TOD, but I'm hopeful 2013 will bring other new offerings from David.
I, too, am hopeful. My wallet, not so much. ;)
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

I'm not sure if a "post pics of your hat" thread is the best place for such a question, but since this thread pertains to Garrison hats, I suppose I'll ask.

I'm looking to purchase a new Fedora in the next week or so, and I'm budgeting around $200 for it. I'm a bit torn between the Fed IV and the Garrison Raider, and would like some opinions.

I'm a person who wears a hat every day, and I'm going to be outside quite a bit (not out in a jungle, just in a "camping" setting- I work at a Scout Camp.)

Should I go Garrison, or settle for an Akubra instead? Pros and cons, anyone?

Thanks,

Geno
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Between those 2 choices, I'd recommend the Garrison. Since both are made of good-quality rabbit fur felt, why not go for the one custom-made to your size?

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

Good point, I suppose.

I've been leading toward a Garrison due to the Akubras being a different shade of brown.

Can any owners attest to how well Garrison's hats hold up after daily wear for a long time?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Geno wrote: Should I go Garrison, or settle for an Akubra instead? Pros and cons, anyone?
Sounds like you have your mind made up if you consider getting an Akubra as "settling."
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

jnicktem wrote:
Geno wrote: Should I go Garrison, or settle for an Akubra instead? Pros and cons, anyone?
Sounds like you have your mind made up if you consider getting an Akubra as "settling."
Funny how the English language works, :lol:

I didn't mean that as a bash against Akubras (no pun intended), I just meant that a Fed IV regular is at the lower end of my price gauge ($130), while the Garrison Raiders (rabbit) is at the other end at $190. ;)

I guess durability is really what I have in mind, since Fed IVs are known for being tough and able to bear the elements.

On the other hand, I like the color of the Garrison hat a bit better, and if it will be able to handle being outdoors and in the wilderness without me having to worry myself silly, I'd go for that instead.

Maybe my previous hat accident has left me paranoid, I don't know. :anxious:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Garrison is the way to go. Like NES said, nothing beats getting a hat custom fit to your size (especially for me as a person who falls between sizes).

David uses the best rabbit fur felt available (same felt used for Adventurebilts) and he has studied along side Steve Delk perfecting his technique.

And David has one of the best Raiders blocks out there.

And his customer service is second to none.

Gee, do I sound like a satisfied customer? :)

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Geno wrote:Good point, I suppose.

I've been leading toward a Garrison due to the Akubras being a different shade of brown.

Can any owners attest to how well Garrison's hats hold up after daily wear for a long time?
if i may chime in

i once owned akubras Fed IV, both standard and deluxe and i now am the happy owner of a Garrison Raiders.

Garrison's are a tad more expensive, but much better hats, i can vouch for that. Garrison's can take whatever abuse you throw in their way, and rain or snow isn't much of a problem when you have one of those fine lids atop your noggin. Akubras aren't that reliable, i'm afraid... not in my experience, that is.