New Review

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

parttime
Vendor

New Review

Post by parttime »

Howdy all,

Robby with Whip-Basics has been so kind to do another review on one of my whips. The "Streets of Cairo Whip". Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opD2_NVN ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for looking,
-Dusty
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: New Review

Post by Zuiun »

Dang it, Dusty! Stop it! I can't afford any more whips from you right now! :lol:
WildWhips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WildWhips »

While the reviewer’s reputation among many whip artists and whip makers outside his own site leaves much to be desired, I do l trust my own eyes. To me the bullwhip you crafted looks well done. I do find some of your construction methods intriguing and am skeptical about the stainless steel cable running though the leanght of the thong, I do not feel this adds to the quality or performance yet the plaiting looks very well done. The bullwhips tapers with precision and looks to perform well enough in the brief performance examples provided. I would enjoy seeing more examples of your work and handling one my self to better investigate these as a possible reasonable alternative to roo hide bullwhips.

WW
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Many nylon whip makers have used a cable core like Dusty does for extra weight and they perform well.

Because the idea of making it whip is make a dense flexible core, Dusty's method doesn't really turn out very differently than if the layers were plaited. He just uses a series of bolsters and binds over them to compress them, just like plaiting does. While I personally would not use the just bolster method like he does, I've never heard/seen any problem come from it. The binding acts like the plaiting, in a way.

Here's other videos of one of Dusty's whips being used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6fHUazWt6E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3cFSB5M6ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2MV4N35 ... el&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WildWhips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WildWhips »

riku1914 all the nylon whip makers I know use ball chain, bb’s or lead shot to add weight to nylon whips. Who is using a stainless cable core?

Do you own or use Dusty’s bullwhips to be able to make those observations and comparisons? Dusty’s method is completely different then plaited layers. I will reserve judgment on how they operate until I have one in my hands but do you understand why whips are plaited in layers in the first place? and do you understand the benefits of that method? There is more too it then just compressing layers into the shape of a whip.

Thank you for the links.

WW
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

lol yes I understand. Just because there's a "traidtional" method doesn't mean people can't experiment. Dusty has been making whips like this for a while now and I've not heard one complaint from anybody about them, even people who have owned many other whips.

Over on a forum I'm on reserved for just whips a few of the nylon whip makers have been experimenting with different types of cores and one of them was a steel cable. Many of them liked it.

I'm speaking from what I've learned from Dusty and from people who have used his whips, I do not own one myself.
Last edited by riku1914 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

WildWhips wrote:riku1914 all the nylon whip makers I know use ball chain, bb’s or lead shot to add weight to nylon whips. Who is using a stainless cable core?
Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't so. ;)

I know of a couple of nylon whip makers who have experimented with MANY different core materials, including cable. I've made a couple of nylon whips with a cable core and found that it produced the most "leather-like" fluidity of movement / response of a nylon whip yet (in my experience). I don't claim to be any sort of authority on whip making -- I still have many things to learn -- but even a little bit of experimentation, including using a cable core, has resulted in making whips that perform the way I want / expect them to.

I own three of Dusty's whips (one bullwhip and a matched pair of stockwhips), as well as several "traditionally made" leather whips that aren't Dusty whips. The craftsmanship of Dusty's whips is outstanding. And their performance matches the craftsmanship.
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

I've never had any success with a cable core which speak VERY well for your whips. I can never get mine to sit correctly. That's why I use BB loaded core. Personal preference. I guess if all whips where made the same, then there wouldn't be much of a whip world out there.

Just my thoughts
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

WildWhips wrote:riku1914 I will reserve judgment on how they operate until I have one in my hands WW
If you get your order in now you could have it by Thanksgiving :TOH:

-Dusty