Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Aero Jacket

Post by IndyBrit »

Up on the site. For those with deep pockets. Looks good

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/prod ... php?id=977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indydawg

Re: Aero Jacket

Post by Indydawg »

Whew....that's heavy..
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

That's a beautiful looking jacket! :o Although I'm not a fan personally of horsehide, the grain and color of that jacket looks fantastic. If anyone plans on getting one of these, please share pictures!

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

It isn't that my pockets aren't deep enough...they're plenty deep...

They're just empty.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Aero jackets are better made than just about any jacket I have ever seen, but I also find them in general to be almost unwearable. They use such unpleasantly heavy HH leather that you feel like you're strapped into a carapace. This Indy will feel like you're wearing a concrete jacket - if it's anything like the FQHH Highwayman I've worn. ;)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That US Wings price for their Legend Horse hide last year is sure looking sweet in comparison.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

CM wrote:Aero jackets are better made than just about any jacket I have ever seen, but I also find them in general to be almost unwearable. They use such unpleasantly heavy HH leather that you feel like you're strapped into a carapace. This Indy will feel like you're wearing a concrete jacket - if it's anything like the FQHH Highwayman I've worn. ;)

Gotta agree 100%. If you were planning to be dragged by a truck, by all means... But for daily wear, that is armor, not a jacket. Beautiful, but no Raiders vibe whatsoever to me. Needless to say, I don't think it will drape ;)

But I love it that new Indy jackets keep popping up!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And the countdown to SA criticism begins......NOW.

That being said, this isn't an SA criticism per se, but it's hard to tell from the pictures if the jacket has action pleats. I would assume it does, but looking at the picture of the shoulder, the back seam looks flush to the adjacent panel.

Funny they make a point of mentioning the zipper. Trying to avoid Zipper-Gate II? Having a Wested and a Legend, I gotta say due to the wind flap, I prefer the left hand zipper. I find it awkward to have the zipper pull on the same side the wind flap is on. I have to fold the wind flap back against the jacket body to be able to zip it up with my right hand. Now I suppose I could use my left, but as I'm right-handed and my left hand is good for little more than wearing my wedding band....

It is a nice looking jacket, though I've never handled a horsehide other than one David Hack let me try on in his shop. That jacket was buttery soft. I couldn't believe it when he said it was horsehide. I guess I missed the Legend pattern in HH when Wings had them. I would have been very tempted.

I'm sure it won't be long before someone here plunks down the (considerable amount of) cash for one of these.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I've come to give not one tinker's #### about SA if the jacket fits, is well-made, and is going to last...now, I say that, obviously, within reason in SA elements-I mean, an Indy jacket has to have the elements of an Indy jacket-but, I've got the Aero A-2, and...they DO break in...if you wear them enough.

And this would be a jacket your great grand-kids would be fighting over one day.

If I had the coin, I'd get one....the Kelso, not so much...but this one, definitive YES!

But, I'd have to sell every other jacket I've got to pay for it...so, I'm not likely to get one.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indydawg wrote: And this would be a jacket your great grand-kids would be fighting over one day.
I hear ya, but I'd rather wear it and wear it out than pass it on to any grand-kids. You see, having had that FQHH leather before, I just never felt it was right even after the 2-year long break in process. Your grand-kids might get a pristine jacket from you precisely because you hardly wore it. :D
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Gorgeous looking jacket, but it looks too heavy for an "Indy" jacket.
And if I was going to stump up the cash for an Aero I'd get one of their "1930's Half-Belts" :)

Regards
Joe
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Indiana Jeff wrote:And the countdown to SA criticism begins......NOW.

That being said, this isn't an SA criticism per se, but it's hard to tell from the pictures if the jacket has action pleats. I would assume it does, but looking at the picture of the shoulder, the back seam looks flush to the adjacent panel.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I think Jeff may be right. It doesn't look like it has pleats in the back...
Look at the way the leather from the side panels folds over the the back panel when the straps are sinched. :-k
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'm sure that's just the way the jacket is angled in the photos...Aero wouldn't have gone to the work to make this jacket if they weren't going to do it right.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Definitely a Last Crusade cut. It's really hard to tell by the pics what the back pleats are like. I could understand with such tough hide that a complex pleat may have not been suitable. It really is a beautiful jacket.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

The Dude wrote:That US Wings price for their Legend Horse hide last year is sure looking sweet in comparison.
Boy, is this not true. For what it is worth, the other day, I ran accross my receipt from Wested Leather for my horsehide LC, purchased in August, 2004. Ready for this? Are you sure? $160.00 and it still looks great. Mild destressing from wear (and, it has had a lot of wear), but still looks great. I had a guy in Texas, last March offer me $400 for it. I told him no. Two reasons: 1) I love the jacket, and, 2) It was quite a cold day when the offer was made :rolling: ! So, either reason seemed to make sense, at the time! W>
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Definitely a Last Crusade cut. It's really hard to tell by the pics what the back pleats are like. I could understand with such tough hide that a complex pleat may have not been suitable. It really is a beautiful jacket.

:rolling:

You guys kill me....it's heavy front quarter HH...it's lying flush against the back of the jacket because the leather is just that stiff...it's got the action pleats, ok?

Sheesh...
I hear ya, but I'd rather wear it and wear it out than pass it on to any grand-kids. You see, having had that FQHH leather before, I just never felt it was right even after the 2-year long break in process. Your grand-kids might get a pristine jacket from you precisely because you hardly wore it.
I've got their A-2, and know exactly what you mean...but, the thing about this offering, is you could wear the thing and TRY to wear it out, and you'd probabky STILL have a great jacket to pass down....

It amazes me how form and appearances take precedence over substance anymore...not just in this, either. I'm sure it is an awesome jacket...I just wish it was more in the average person's price range. The 1,000.00 jacket is just not something I'd ever be able to rationalize buying. 8)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

You guys kill me....it's heavy front quarter HH...it's lying flush against the back of the jacket because the leather is just that stiff...it's got the action pleats, ok?

Sheesh...

OK, take your word for it. :D

It amazes me how form and appearances take precedence over substance anymore...not just in this, either. 8)[/quote]

Just the nature of trying to capture the look of a Hollywood costume. Tough leather won't do it. But I know what you mean. I'm pretty well convinced that it's very hard to get both ... Maybe Tundrariders goat G&B is the closest to real world tough and Raiders vibe drapey-ness. This Aero is pretty fantastic at what it is, though.
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Aero is very good at customizing their patterns, and changing things up for you. I'd see if they would make it in their jerky mid-weight horse. It would still be heavier than almost any other Indy jacket out there, but not the "armor" of the heavy front quarter horse. I have a FQHH Aero and it is one heavy beast for sure. I understand people's comments about them being difficult to wear, they are an acquired taste and not for everyone. They definitely wil not drape, ever! I don't know if I'll ever order one, but I'd certainly consider it. After owning Wested, G&B goat and lamb, and US Wings, I still haven't found anything I'm happy with, maybe this will be the one???

Brian
Last edited by interbak on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

If you do, it would be great to see pics and get your review. I like your idea of the jerky mid-weight horsehide. That is very intriguing!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah, I think that mid-weight,,or their A2 weight, jerky horse would be very nice...and equally tough.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indydawg wrote:Yeah, I think that mid-weight,,or their A2 weight, jerky horse would be very nice...and equally tough.
It would be more fitting, I think. Period HH was rarely as thick as the FQ stuff Aero uses, so A2 weight sounds right for an Indy.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indydawg wrote:

:rolling:

Sheesh...
I hear ya, but I'd rather wear it and wear it out than pass it on to any grand-kids. You see, having had that FQHH leather before, I just never felt it was right even after the 2-year long break in process. Your grand-kids might get a pristine jacket from you precisely because you hardly wore it.
I've got their A-2, and know exactly what you mean...but, the thing about this offering, is you could wear the thing and TRY to wear it out, and you'd probabky STILL have a great jacket to pass down....

It amazes me how form and appearances take precedence over substance anymore...not just in this, either. I'm sure it is an awesome jacket...I just wish it was more in the average person's price range. The 1,000.00 jacket is just not something I'd ever be able to rationalize buying. 8)
There's a little more too it than that in this case. I've had stiff leather jackets that stayed in the closet because they were uncomfortable to wear and I have my doubts as to weather they'd ever be comfortable even with daily wear.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

True...which is why we thought that ordering it in their A-2 leather would be both more fitting for the jacket overall look AND might even end up a bit less expensive.... :TOH: