My First Indy hat... almost

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

HandsomeDynamite
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

My First Indy hat... almost

Post by HandsomeDynamite »

Well, I'm 22 now, and have been a massive fan of Indy since well... since forever. In middle school it really took off and I think for a series of Halloweens I dressed up as Indy. I begged my parents for Indy type stuff. I got one of the $50 wool fedoras for my birthday one year, and one Christmas, my extremely loving parents got me a Wested Leather lambskin Raider's jacket.
The result was this
Early Indy costume

Of course I got older and outgrew the jacket and half moved on, Indiana Jones always having a part in my growing up. But eventually I decided I needed a new Wested, so I ordered on, a Goatskin this time, showing minimal wear from my own adventures. Then I signed up for the Army, and decided I also needed a real Indy fedora. I hail from Buffalo, where the hatter Gary White does his work, so I stopped in. We talked for a while, a very friendly guy, and he measured my head, taking into account I'm a long oval, and he got the details of what I wanted in my Indy hat. I wanted it pretty close to the original Raider's, but not sure if it's exact. Not that screen accuracy matters to me, I wanted something that was mine. This was in February of 2012, I left shortly after for my basic training to be a United States Infantryman. I returned home this past June, and knowing my hat was ready, went in to get it. I immediately fell in love with it and wore it until I left. I didn't have a good way to bring it to my duty station of Ft. Carson, CO, so I left it home. My parents mailed it and I got it a week or so ago. And here's, well, rather unadventurous pictures of me in my first real fedora.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... 4-Copy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... 9-Copy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... 6-Copy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... 162234.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... 162227.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... 162208.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was a bit longer than me just showing my hat, but in the end, the story is all that matters.
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: My First Indy hat... almost

Post by david_h »

Very nice. Gary White is one of the most highly regarded hatmakers around so good choice.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Good lookin' lid you have there! Looks good on you! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Gary is one of the first custom hatters we dealt with here. He does GREAT work! I've owned one of his hats in the past, and it was very well made.

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Your hat looks great. :tup: Good for you to get somethings that's 'you' and not getting hung up on screen accuracy. And being able to support a local specialty vendor is icing on the cake.

Best wishes to you with your service and an Infantryman. Thank you! :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
HandsomeDynamite
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by HandsomeDynamite »

Thanks all, it's nice to have something I've wanted so long. I wore it out today and got a few jeers, but I just smiled since they couldn't understand. I'm definitely pleased I had such a great thing as a hatter so local to where I lived. I was a bit disappointed to find there wasn't one around here
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Congrats on the hat. It seems to suit you perfectly.
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

Good on ya', lad! :H:

Talk about startin' at the top!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Right on, my friend. The hat looks great on you! And I also really like the first photo with the full gear! Lookin' Good!

:)

DHW
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Nice Fedora! What type of felt is it made of? :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Looks very nice, HD!

:) :tup:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

That hat really suits you--it looks great! :tup:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

:D That's a great looking lid, very well proportioned to your facial structure and stature. You made an excellent choice in hatters. I to progressed from officially licensed fedora's to the real deal and it makes all the difference. Bravo. \:D/