My HG-131 Airsoft Revolver conversion and Todd's Holster.

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Thought I'd share the gun project I just finished up, this is my close enough Indy Gun built around the HFC HG-131 airsoft revolver and also my Todd's Holster.
(Click on the pictures to see them bigger)

The first picture is the gun I started out with. I saw some other folks here on the forums do conversions on this airsoft gun and so I thought I'd take a stab at it. The nice thing about the one I bought is that the orange barrel tip easily comes off and can be put back on, if need be, without having to glue it in.

I thought about getting a hold of some genuine K-frame grips and modifying them to fit the gun but I couldn't find any that weren't more than I wanted to spend. But I was able to find the S&W Medallions and a lanyard loop cheap so I decided to just modify the existing grips. I used Fixit Sculpt from Aves Studio to remodel the grips and add the diamond in the handle and to fill in the "Made in Taiwan" on the side. I also filed the corners of the grip pattern so that it better matched one on the "Bapty".

I decided not to modify the sight as the barrel isn't accurate either but I may do that at some point. The same thing for the hammer. To paint the handle I used Testors Dark Tan enamel spray paint. I then put a wash of Ogyrn Flesh from Games Workshop's Citadel washes. For the metal on the gun, I used a method I found posted on here. I used a 6B graphite pencil for the base color, which worked really well, sprayed that with Krylon Matte Spray and then used Testors Enamel Gun Metal paint mixed with Testors Enamel Steel paint and dry brushed the edges of the gun. Then I used Testors Enamel Steel paint for the worn edges. Then once again I sprayed it with a coat of Krylon Matte Spray. It would have been nice to find a way to make it look blued but I couldn't figure out a good way to do it.

I had to modify the base of the gun to get the lanyard in there, I had to Dremel out a hole for it and then fill in part of the opening with Fixit Sculpt again.

I also sculpted bullet ends on the airsoft cartridges so that they looked more like bullets rather than just empty holes.

This is the holster I got from Todd's Costumes. I really like how the holster turned out, the color was nice to begin with and much more supple than I thought it would be. I wet blocked it with the revolver and distressed it a bit with sand paper. Then I put Pecards on it and it just took on and even richer color.

As you can see this gun fits really nicely in this holster.

Anyway, let me know what you think. :TOH:

- bish
Last edited by bish on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My HG-131 Airsoft Revolver conversion and Todd's Holster

Post by Oildale Jones »

That looks fantastic! Nicely done.
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

You did a great job!
R/S
Fritz
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Yeah, this is awesome, very well done!
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I had to read your post very carefully to make sure that I was looking at photos of your conversion and not a photo of a real gun you were using for reference. That is an outstanding job! :clap:
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Thanks all, and thanks Indy Magnoli, your comment makes all the hours I put into this worth it right there.

It's been awhile since I took on a project like this. My last job was working with miniatures for miniature war gaming, but after doing that for so long and then getting laid off I was kind of burnt out and was afraid I'd have lost some of the painting and sculpting skills I gained from that. Makes me excited to maybe take on some more prop projects here in the future.

Anyway thanks again all, I do hope at some point to pick up either a replica Hand Ejector Model 2 or maybe even get a permit here and find a real one.

- bish
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Awesome!

W.E.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yup...In full agreement with everyone here, stunning conversion job!

Well done!
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Best conversion of this model I have seen to date. Awesome job! I need to send you mine to replicate.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the cost of the S&W medallions, the lanyard loop and the time it took to make it, makes it a little cost prohibitive.

However I'm looking into making my own props and then casting them in resin to make available to others. Once I get that set up, making casts of the handles might be something I could do for people that want them for their guns.

- bish
spencerkaff
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by spencerkaff »

Very nice. I just got this holster myself, and I think I know what's next on my list of items to buy! :D
Good work, bish
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Excellent! :clap: I'll echo what scot2525 said: best conversion of this revolver that I've seen as well - very nicely done.
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

Can I echo the echo? AMAZING BUILD! If you decide to make cast grips I'll be your first customer! Serious!

:notworthy:
Indiana Fett
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Indiana Fett »

This thread is the answer to all my prayers. \:D/
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Just be advised that Todd's Raiders holsters no longer have the SA signature second hole in the strap as far as I know. :-k
bfett81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bfett81 »

Great thread. I am going to try this with this gun (which are available for only $30 on Ebay and Amazon):