USWINGS Neil Cooper version Imported in Lightweight Lamb

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

USWINGS Neil Cooper version Imported in Lightweight Lamb

Post by theman »

So here's a 30th Neil patterned Import lightweight Lamb...

I have never been impressed by the USWings offerings, but compared to the rest of their jackets this is the closest to an actual Raiders fit that I have seen come out of their product line.

As far as the pattern goes, it is somewhat decent...although the overall shape of the jacket reminds me more of the Last Crusade for some reason. :-k
The collar alone has no business on a Raiders jacket, or Temple of Doom for that matter. It is huge, and more in line with what came later in LC and KOTCS... so I am not sure what original Neil Cooper patterns this supposedly came from, but it was nothing that ever showed up in the first two films. Something is going on with the neck area too that doesn't sit right for a Raiders. I'll have to go over some fine measurements and further checking, but it definitely doesn't behave like a Raiders sitting on my shoulders.
The leather is a nice thin lamb, and flows well for the Raiders look. The coloring has great variation between panels as you can see, and would do well with a darkening regimen. The side straps are pretty crazy long as most have attested.
Overall a decent offering for an imported jacket at their sale priced level, and probably the only Indy pattern I would want out of the USWings line. Would love to see how their striated version came out, so hopefully I'll have the opportunity to fondle one of those at some point as well.

Last edited by theman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: USWINGS Neil Cooper version Imported in Lightweight Lamb

Post by Michaelson »

One of my favorite...right up there next to the horsehide that was briefly offered last year.

Regard! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yup, mine, too....love how the leather broke in so quickly and moves so fluidly....a very nice fit, too.
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Sorry, didn't get all the pics up initially, or a worthy review... Top post is getting updated as I can get to it.

Also, through this one up for grabs in the for sale section
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The collar reminds me of LC too! Good call.

Regard! Michaelson
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Michaelson wrote:One of my favorite...right up there next to the horsehide that was briefly offered last year.

Regard! Michaelson
This is the second time I've read that US Wings had a horsehide last year. How did I miss that? Or are you talking about the lightweight goatskin?

Thanks for the review, TheMan! I actually dig the US Wings Legend pattern. It feels like a mix of all Indy jacket designs. If someone was looking for a general Indy (General Indy, Sir!) jacket, I think it would suit the bill nicely; but if someone wanted an ultimate Raiders jacket, they might continue looking after their purchase.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope. Honest to goodness horsehide. It was prototyped and presented, but passed over by Wings as a production item for general release.
It was the last prototype that came out of the Hong Kong factory.

Regards! Michaelson
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Baldwyn - totally agree, as a general Indy jacket this is USWings best offering... but there are better Raiders specific offerings out there.

M - HongKongHorseHide... neat.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Nice jacket. Good Nowak-like pockets. The collar is fairly poor, as you've said. I really like the hide's colour with the lighter undertones.

By the way - perhaps the wrong place for this - who will be making your Surrogates half-belt?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

theman wrote:M - HongKongHorseHide... neat.
Yep, it really is. :M: :tup:

Sadly it never made it to market. :(

Regards! Michaelson
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

CM - Vanson of course... package with the first one is supposed to be on it's way from Massachusetts now actually.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

That's good news...very interested in how it turns out!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

For $200 retail, not a bad offering. Tweak the collar and darken the hide and you are definitely in the running.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

theman wrote:CM - Vanson of course... package with the first one is supposed to be on it's way from Massachusetts now actually.
Excellent. I'll PM you. Cheers.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

It's an interesting jacket and for that reason I haven't sold mine. In terms of value for money it's one of the best! It's a good jacket in it's own right. But when you see it lined up against a TNO or Bill Kelso Raiders then you can see the difference in pattern instantly.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Wasn't the USW 30th supposed to be a copy of the TNO? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, it wasn't. The Kelso is.

Regards! Michaelson
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks for the review, TheMan! I actually dig the US Wings Legend pattern. It feels like a mix of all Indy jacket designs. If someone was looking for a general Indy (General Indy, Sir!) jacket, I think it would suit the bill nicely; but if someone wanted an ultimate Raiders jacket, they might continue looking after their purchase.

Agreed. It isn't going to suit those who are looking for a perfect, SA, ROLA replica. But it does have a great overall Indy look, with a strong strain of Raiders coming through. I do think the collar is more LC than anything.

Good review! I've had mine for about a year, and it's taken on alot of great character with no artificial methods. The leather also grains up in a way I've never seen in other leathers. It doesn't develop straitions, but rather a wonky, cool looking patchwork of creases after it's been worn in the weather. A picture would show it best, but maybe someone else who's had one awhile will know what I've ineptly described.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Snapped a few shots to show what I'm talking about.

Weston
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

weston, any chance of posting shots of the jacket with you in it? I really like the color and the leather but I'm concerned about the collar. Theman's pics do make it look unnaturally large.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Sure! There's no getting around it; the collar is huge, and a bit overwhelming when the jacket comes out of the box. After awhile though, it breaks in and looks much better.

I've got a little time this afternoon, so if you want to see more pictures of my jacket, I'd be happy to oblige.

Weston
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...truth is that basset hound eared collar will beatcha to death in a windstorm. :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mine hasn't yet, and it's been pretty windy this summer. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Weston wrote:Sure! There's no getting around it; the collar is huge, and a bit overwhelming when the jacket comes out of the box. After awhile though, it breaks in and looks much better.

I've got a little time this afternoon, so if you want to see more pictures of my jacket, I'd be happy to oblige.

Weston
Heh Weston: Please check your pm's. Thanks. W>
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Weston wrote:Thanks for the review, TheMan! I actually dig the US Wings Legend pattern. It feels like a mix of all Indy jacket designs. If someone was looking for a general Indy (General Indy, Sir!) jacket, I think it would suit the bill nicely; but if someone wanted an ultimate Raiders jacket, they might continue looking after their purchase.

Agreed. It isn't going to suit those who are looking for a perfect, SA, ROLA replica. But it does have a great overall Indy look, with a strong strain of Raiders coming through. I do think the collar is more LC than anything.

Good review! I've had mine for about a year, and it's taken on alot of great character with no artificial methods. The leather also grains up in a way I've never seen in other leathers. It doesn't develop straitions, but rather a wonky, cool looking patchwork of creases after it's been worn in the weather. A picture would show it best, but maybe someone else who's had one awhile will know what I've ineptly described.
I have a 30th in antique goat and wasn't it a limited run..? The standout, to me, about this jacket is that the goatskin is very thin, very soft, and the color is different from the Raiders jackets of the past, more natural brown. Tweak a few things, and it would have been an exceptional offering: shorten the collar and collarstand, jacket should hang off the neck, collar ending at the middle of the flap, and I'd call it good. For $200, you could not expect more....well, the zip, but they don't do that. In terms of weight, I think it is much like the Hero jacket.
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Texan Scott wrote:
Weston wrote:Thanks for the review, TheMan! I actually dig the US Wings Legend pattern. It feels like a mix of all Indy jacket designs. If someone was looking for a general Indy (General Indy, Sir!) jacket, I think it would suit the bill nicely; but if someone wanted an ultimate Raiders jacket, they might continue looking after their purchase.

I have a 30th in antique goat and wasn't it a limited run..? The standout, to me, about this jacket is that the goatskin is very thin, very soft, and the color is different from the Raiders jackets of the past, more natural brown. Tweak a few things, and it would have been an exceptional offering: shorten the collar and collarstand, jacket should hang off the neck, collar ending at the middle of the flap, and I'd call it good. For $200, you could not expect more....well, the zip, but they don't do that. In terms of weight, I think it is much like the Hero jacket.
Cat's out of the bag :[

I find the Legend goat to be the closest to the Nowak Raiders, other than the Bill Kelso's. The color is darker than the Legend lamb version. :-s
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I'm saving up to buy a USW imported steerhide "Legend", but now I'm thinking I should order the 30th anniversary lambskin jacket instead. Steerhide was my first choice because it's tough, but I love the way lambskin distresses over time. I'm torn between the two :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Basically the same jacket, just a different skin/hide.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Yeah I know that, I'm just wondering if the lambskin will hold up what I put my jackets through. I like to go hiking in the central Texas area, and I tend to climb up and over rocks. I need a jacket that can take that abuse.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If that's you're standard practice, then the answer would be 'no'. Get the steerhide. =;

No matter who the maker is, lambskin is still lambskin. It can and will take abuse, but for rock climbing in Texas, I'd say you'd be better served with good old cowhide if you're not wanting to rip it to shreads on sharp objects.

JMO. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

I bought the US Wings US Made Steer Hide Legend while in Afghanistan to wear under my body armor while FOB hopping in helicopters. As it turned out the jacket has held better than my body. I’m looking forward to the weather cooling off so I can start wearing it again, now that I am home. A few people have commented on it tell me I look like a PO'd Indiana Jones.

Cheers,
W-W
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Texan Scott wrote:...truth is that basset hound eared collar will beatcha to death in a windstorm. :P
It was only when I wore an Indy jacket riding my motorcycle that I discovered what the real function of collar snaps was - I didn't have any on my jacket and the slapping of the collar to my face as I rode drove me crazy. I now have a better respect for collar snaps. :TOH:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Well steerhide it is! Thank you, gents, for chiming in and helping me out. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
...and if THIS isn't a rock solid endorsement, I don't know what is!!! :shock:
I bought the US Wings US Made Steer Hide Legend while in Afghanistan to wear under my body armor while FOB hopping in helicopters. As it turned out the jacket has held better than my body. I’m looking forward to the weather cooling off so I can start wearing it again, now that I am home. A few people have commented on it tell me I look like a PO'd Indiana Jones.

Cheers,
W-W
HIGH regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Weston wrote:Sure! There's no getting around it; the collar is huge, and a bit overwhelming when the jacket comes out of the box. After awhile though, it breaks in and looks much better.

I have found that to be true of all the US Wings collars. No that I mind them new. The larger collars don't stand out as much when you wear a XXL. :lol: I know that there are a lot of "issues" with the Wings jackets in terms of screen accuracy, but short of a Magnoli custom, I prefer them for practical reasons. I have a US Wings for most weather possibilities - from heavy cowhide to the lightweight lamb. They are perfect for the gearhead who doesn't sweat the small details... like me! :mrgreen:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Kinda late to this table but Finially caught a few pics of my US Wings lambskin after some good wear and tear....I usually leave this jacket in the car for family members that get cold somewhere or occasionally use it when layering as it is so thin, it works best as a fashion accessory in cold weather..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090559.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091154.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090808.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090720.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
notice the color change when sun moved..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090744.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hate the lining, love the leather, still can`t decide on the fit...as it fits great but does nothing the Raiders jacket did while still just kinda looking just like it! #-o ](*,) :? :|
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Get it relined, and you may be surprised how many times you'll reach for it. I know I was.

Regards! Michaelson
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Gorak wrote:Kinda late to this table but Finially caught a few pics of my US Wings lambskin after some good wear and tear....I usually leave this jacket in the car for family members that get cold somewhere or occasionally use it when layering as it is so thin, it works best as a fashion accessory in cold weather..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090559.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 091154.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090808.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090720.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
notice the color change when sun moved..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 090744.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hate the lining, love the leather, still can`t decide on the fit...as it fits great but does nothing the Raiders jacket did while still just kinda looking just like it! #-o ](*,) :? :|
It kinda has more of a military fit than the Raiders, which is looser and baggier. :?
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Gorak, I really like the looks of that jacket! That leather looks great.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Great jacket, and it looks great on you. I love that "marbling."

Now why can't I get a Todd's in that leather?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I`ll get those measurements this weekend as the jacket is currently in my wife`s car. The leather on this thing is great but I have been kinda careful with it as I had originially planned on selling it off but after going thru all my jackets and deciding which to get rid of (after my BK scratched my jacket itch) This is one of the three that stayed in the corral! But I will definitely look into getting it re-lined!
Thanks guys.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I KNOW you'll be happier with it. I'm amazed how pleased I became with mine once I got it back with an all cotton lining, as it was one of the jackets that seemed to contantly migrate to the back of my closet. :[

Now it's one of my 'mainliners' when I walk out the door.

I've also found it to be naturally distressing along the seams with regular use, and quite quickly. It's gaining that well used look without having to go through any special efforts, and yet the integrity of the jacket itself (seams etc.) are unchanged. Perfect 'Indy' type jacket that shows natural real world use. MY kind of Indy jacket. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hi to everyone in this thread. I'm a COW newcomer in the market for my first leather jacket. This one caught my eye at the US Wings website. Concerned about choosing the right size though, since the website describes this one as having a trimmer cut. (Also, just to be clear, this is this the $195 Featherweight Antique Lambskin jacket being discussed in this thread, correct?)

I'm 5' 8", 160 lbs, medium build. I'd like a jacket that's not too confining to be comfy for driving, and big enough to have room to wear a sweater or fleece under it on colder days. I wear a 41-42R suit coat. Would a medium on this 30th anniv lamb be roomy enough? Or should I go with a large -- and would the sleeves on a large hang down to my knees?

Any and all input and opinions on size choice would be welcome. Thanks!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I requested a "Legend" sizing chart before I placed an order, and this is what USW sent me. I hope it helps :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Keep in mind you lose some sleeve length as the jacket is used. It will ride up into the elbows and actually shorten the sleeve, so factor that in as you look at the sleeve measurements on this chart. You usually lose anywhere from 1/2" to an 3/4" in use due to the bend of the arm.

Regards! Michaelson
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

indy89 wrote:I requested a "Legend" sizing chart before I placed an order, and this is what USW sent me. I hope it helps :TOH:

Indy89, that's exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for posting it here -- it'll probably help others out, too.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

No problem! Always glad to help ;)
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Thanks, too, to Michaelson for lots of help and tutelage on the ins and outs of these jackets :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Thanks to all the thoughtful info posted here -- and especially thanks to the US Wings size chart Indy89 added, and patient personal guidance from Michaelson -- I took the plunge and ordered the US Wings 30th anniversary lightweight lamb jacket. Got it a few days ago. VERY nice jacket!

Even though I'm only 5' 8" and 160 lbs, I decided on a large and I'm glad I did. It's roomy enough to wear a fleece jacket underneath (which proved plenty warm on a 30-degree morning) but not too big to wear by itself over a shirt. This is my first (and probably only) leather jacket and I was pleasantly surprised at how lightweight and comfy it is compared to leather jackets I tried on in stores (which felt like they had lead diving weights sewn into the lining!).

I really love this jacket, and I wouldn't have known enough to order it without the gang here. Thanks again ;)