Looking to replace MK bag: Todd's or Magnoli?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Looking to replace MK bag: Todd's or Magnoli?

Post by mcmanm »

Seem to have lost my old Magnoli I got 4 years ago. I liked it, but I had to dye it back then since it was too tan. Was wondering if anyone has purchased the above bags recently. Have their been any updates to the look, quality, etc? Thanks again for the feedback.

Matt
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Looking to replace MK bag: Todd's or Magnoli?

Post by Mountaineer »

I have both. One of Todd's earlier bags and one of the recently upgraded Magnoli. Both are great bags, only the details are different.

The Todd's has seen some usage and it's always held up very well. Aside from it being smaller by about an inch in height, (a quirk of those early bags) it has been a great bag. It has carried what I needed it to and never frayed, ripped or torn.

The Magnoli bag is newer, so I've not had the time to test it like the other bag, but it is a really nicely made bag and I think it will hold up as well. I like it's weight and its construction.

Both are quite compartmental inside. This is a big pus for me because then I keep the same things in the same places and never need to dig and root to find whatever.

Imagine the bag laying open on a table, front of bag up, and you are looking into it. Here's what you'll see: two vertical pockets on the internal back wall formed by a flap of canvas stitched down the middle, one deeper than the other; a small, squarish (2-3 finger width) pocket on the flap that made the two aforementioned vertical pockets; the main/center pocket in the middle of the bag; and a 3/4 depth pocket on the front wall, formed by another flap of canvas sewn to the bag's internal front. The Magnoli has an extra divider in the center of the main pouch area, running front to rear, which divides it into a left and right section. My Todd's has the same internal designs, except the main/center pocket is not divided and is one compartment.

I was in the market for a new bag, because I wanted to give my son my original. One of the reasons I got the Magnolia over another Todd's was the disc on the side had been "aged". That detail, to me was cool. There are details like that which matter to some and are no big deal to others. Either way, I think you'll be happy.
AZ Pete
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AZ Pete »

I just went through this same decision.

I have an older Mag bag as well. I still use it daily for work and love it. I have an original MKVII that is getting a bit worn down (due to dry rot, etc...). I am replacing the original bag for a new Mag bag because I have been so happy with my original. I don't have the new bag yet (due in any day) but I am very confident in the construction. The old bag has seen some wear and tear and not faltered at all.

I am sure the Todd's bag is a quality product but I went with another Mag bag because of the high quality of the first bag I purchased. I just know it will be a long lasting product.

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Pete
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

I just purchased a replacement as well and went with a WPG repro this time. Great construction, and the price is definately right. My Magnoli was kept on a hook near a window in my room and over the years faded to a puke yellow color. Magnoli makes a great bag for sure... looks and is constructed almost identically to the WPG to my eyes. As Tundy said though, Magnoli upgraded his recently so I can't speak to the newer batch. If you're in the states, WPG ships super fast as well. :TOH: So many choices!! :D
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

I too have and older Todd's bag and it's great. Never had a Magnoli bag, but I have no doubt he also offers a terrific product. Why don't you just go ahead and buy both, just to give the business to both of these great vendors.
Deputy Jedi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Deputy Jedi »

I have been happy with the Todd's bag. I use it fairly frequently for things. It is good quality and has held up well. It serves my purpose and I have not felt the need to get one from another vendor. I doubt you would go wrong with either. My other Magnoli items are pretty good.
IndyHatGuy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyHatGuy »

I got my Todd's years ago and it held up through everything I can possibly think of. I carried it around more than any other piece of gear. And in all that time it began to weather yellowish so I recently got a Magnoli. You see Todd's made many improvements to his bag since I got mine and my original thinking was, 'Well Todd's are now pretty much the most accurate bags out there. Almost as if they were new issued original bags. But what I need is a kick-around-er. I don't want to drag a Sideshow Collectibles Indy in the dirt, I need a HASBRO! A work boot/glove. Etc. Etc.' So I ordered a Magnoli because the main thing I was looking for in a "kick-around-er" Magnoli was the non-operable vents on the bottom. What I didn't know was that Magnoli also updated his bag. Then doing a little research Magnoli not only got operating vents but also heavier canvas and lots of other do-dads we fans look for. Now they're really close to the real ones. I'm glad too, because I didn't want to think that Magnoli's were in-superior to Todd's. For the price and for the title of "high-end" clothing, Magnoli was always a winner over Todd's. Magnoli's are usually like tough museum pieces (like some fedoras; Adventurebilts/Penmans/other obvious ones I don't need to list). But Todd's are usually strong and tough (like a Federation IV). So my kick-around is more accurate than I thought it would be. So in conclusion, EITHER ONE MAN! You can't go wrong. Price, durability, accuracy it's all in your opinion!

Also if could someone tell me, my old Todd's has sculpted snaps, which are beautiful but they never felt very "Indy." My new Magnoli has flat snaps with the raised edge, like a button. That's more Indy accurate to me, feel wise. Does anybody know if the Todd's still have these buttons or are they the flat kind now? and what was in the films? Both? I think that might be your main difference there!
CaptainKatanga
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: In the corner, factoring univariate polynooomials over finite fields.

Post by CaptainKatanga »

I have one of the original Mag's bags, used it most every day and it lasted very well for about 3-4 years (it would probably last a while longer, but). I finally decided to replace it and it happened to be about the time the new Mag's bags came out. I have been very pleased with the new bag so far and am sure that it will last several years. Great bags in my opinion.

Regards,
CaptainKatanga
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

I would HIGHLY recommend Todd's bag. His bag, by far, is the most SA for color to the originals. The canvas is a soft canvas but very durable. The details are also very good on it. If "I" were to buy another bag (other than an original Mark VII), I'd go with Todd's just because the color is so close. :TOH:
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

How's the color of the new Mag bag compared to the last version? I had to dye mine cause it was too tan.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Much more green, but in a really good way.

Here is Magnoli's post on the new bag via the vendor announcement page: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... agnoli+bag

The one in the above link is what my new bag looks like.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I really like the tan bags. To me they just look more tropical.

Gailen :TOH:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

IndyRiv wrote:I would HIGHLY recommend Todd's bag. His bag, by far, is the most SA for color to the originals. The canvas is a soft canvas but very durable. The details are also very good on it. If "I" were to buy another bag (other than an original Mark VII), I'd go with Todd's just because the color is so close. :TOH:
I would agree 100%. There was a great photo put up recently by a member who ran his through the washer and the way it came out was aged to perfection (IMO).

Another thing, if you live in the U.S., Todd's would get to you that much sooner. :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

My son carries a Todds and loves it. The only downside I can see is the canvas is a little floppy. Actually more of a heavy cotton knit instead of a canvas actually. I like how my original pretty much holds its shape whether its empty or not! For that reason, since Mags uses actual canvas thats the direction I would go. :TOH:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I got the Magnoli bag in 7-10 days.

Not really that long a wait, because the Todd's stuff, when shipped via UPS, took 7 days.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I own them both and find that they are both quality items.

Gailen :TOH:
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

I am kinda stuck on using the originals... I have only bought one bag and it was an original from whatpriceglory and I hang it with one of Todd's discount $10 straps from the time. Has worked flawlessly and looking great IMHO.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Well, I certainly agree with that. I have only ever used originals. I have heard horror stories about the originals falling to pieces, buy I have two and they have held up really well. I've never had a worry from either...
Indy's brother
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy's brother »

I agree with Tundraider's last post in it's entirety. I can't vouch for either replica since I've never had either of them in hand myself, but I can't imagine getting any more accurate than an original. I got mine from WPG, and it looks like it was made yesterday. Wade Egan made a fantastic strap for it/me, I can't imagine a better available combo.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I used to be all over using originals - but I remember somewhere hearing about the contamination some of the old WWII stuff had (asbestos, for example - the gas masks had asbestos filters) - and I just never felt right packing any kind of food items in my original bags since. It's been repros ever since for this squeamish fan.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Well guys, I've searched and searched through our awesome search function, but can't find that great photo that was posted not long ago of a member who ran his todd's bag through a wash cycle and the distressing was PERFECT! (imo)

Maybe someone else can find that or the original poster can repost?

I have Todd's bag (it's from a few years back so I don't know what if anything has changed) and it's tough as nails. However mine does NOT look as good as the one that went through the wash :TOH:
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Anyone tried the WPG replica bag yet?

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1913&bc=no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I've had the WPG (repro) and Todd's and have been very pleased with the Todd's bag. It was one of those purchases that when I received it, I knew was done with that article of the gear. Since then, I've used the Todd's for 3 years on the dig, with all kinds of stuff and it held up just fine.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I bought an original mk VII from Noel Howard almost 12 years ago and it's still going strong. The only thing I've done is add a Wade Egan LC strap to it. So far, so good.

Only recently have I considered buying another one but I have to go with Dan on this one. I'd still want an original......

That being said...Magnoli's look amazing from what I've seen but so do Todd's I can't really tell the difference picture wise aside from the snaps. But, I've never owned one.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I received a Todd's just yesterday. Size and color seem right to me -- just "newer." That is to say, when I first looked at it, I was tempted to think it was way too dark olive green, but then I realized this is new material. The actual shade of green seems right, so all it needs is to wear and fade a little. I'd be tempted to wash it or something, but I think I'll just let it wear naturally and develop character on its own.

The material seems pretty sturdy. It was holding its shape well even when empty.

Oh, and it fits an iPad perfectly. :lol:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Zuiun wrote:I received a Todd's just yesterday. Size and color seem right to me -- just "newer." That is to say, when I first looked at it, I was tempted to think it was way too dark olive green, but then I realized this is new material. The actual shade of green seems right, so all it needs is to wear and fade a little. I'd be tempted to wash it or something, but I think I'll just let it wear naturally and develop character on its own.

The material seems pretty sturdy. It was holding its shape well even when empty.

I can't find the image of the member who did this to his Todd's bag, but here's Oildale's tale of his WWII vintage bag he put thru a single wash/dry and the aging it took on.

The member who did that to his Todds looked absolutely PERFECT (IMO). :TOH:
Oildale Jones wrote:My original Mk VII bag with Todd's strap and buckle. One trip through the washer and dryer was enough to give it a nice, used look.

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Zuiun wrote:...

Doesn't it!!!! I've recently been carrying my iPad from work in it and it's amazing! no wI have an excuse to wear my satchel even more.....