Big ups to Dusty at Crease N Corral (whip repair service)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

As discussed in a previous thread (http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I won an auction for a used Crease N Corral 8-foot KOTCS whip in cowhide. I had it out a few times and was very gentle with it, but the last time I used it I noticed that there was some damage to the thong, and some strands had broken near the fall hitch.

I wondered if maybe I'd been too aggressive, or maybe a previous owner's too-generous application of dressing had compromised the leather. I emailed Dusty Damrel at Crease N Corral with pictures and asked what my options were. He replied—about 15 minutes later—that I could have it cut back and a new fall hitch tied, which would shorten the overall length, or I could have him unplait the first few feet of the whip and replait it with new strands, dye it to match and tie on a new white hide fall to replace the old red hide fall I'd kept blowing the tip off of.

I opted for new strands. I sent the whip to him and within just a couple of days he let me know it was finished. Already? A few days later (including Sunday and Memorial Day), my whip was back in my hands. Total time was just over a week. Amazing.

As Dusty wrote, this whip is getting "a second chance at a long life." I think he must use cloves in his plaiting soap, because this thing smells delicious.

I just wanted to express how pleased I am with the quality of Dusty's whip, and with his spectacular (and spectacularly fast) customer service. He will definitely be receiving more of my money in the future. Thanks!

:tup: :TOH:
parttime
Vendor

Re: Big ups to Dusty at Crease N Corral (whip repair service

Post by parttime »

Thanks for the :tup: Oildale
I was happy to help :TOH:

-Dusty
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Great job Dusty, Oildale you ( we) are certainly lucky to have such talented people to helps us keep our prized possesions in good working order. Replaiting the whip with new strands seems like the best way to repair without losing length. I had never heard of it.

Cheers

Bravo
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

Wow thats a great job!. Its a shame the seller didnt describe it clearly i he auction in the first place though. I was the 2nd highest bidder on this and the seller sent me some detailed photos. Not one of them showed damage to the whip.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I think it was described accurately; it didn't look like that when I got it. I'm open to the possibility that I hit something (a tree? the ground?) that scraped it farther up, but I just don't see how I could break the strands near the hitch while completely avoiding any damage to the hitch itself--which is why I theorized that the strands might have been compromised by over-dressing the whip, and the stress of cracking it caused them to come apart. (Dusty did mention that the first owner's friend had cracked it on concrete, which might not have been disclosed to the subsequent owner or owners.)
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

That's some amazing work! :o

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk