Colt SA seen in Last Crusade

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Antilles
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Colt SA seen in Last Crusade

Post by Antilles »

Hi folks,
Since were on the topic of movie guns, has anyone discussed the handgun carried by the grey haired grave robber in LC during the circus train chase. He points it at Young Indy after he is pulled from the lion's boxcar. Sorry, I don't know how to freeze-frame movie images to illustrate. Anyway, is this too obscure an appearance to be included in the list of Indy movie weapons? Looks to me like the venerable Colt Single Action w/ 4 3/4" barrel.
Antilles
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Re: Colt SA seen in Last Crusade

Post by Indiana Bond »

I've looked to see if I could identify that piece also. It goes by so quick that I couldn;t really make out what is was but you are probably correct in it being a Colt SA. I think it would be great to try to I.D. that revolver and, even though it's there for less than a second, it still counts as a screen appearance!!. Many of the other guns identified were also only seen for an extremely short time.

So anyone out there able to get a screen capture so we can start the madness!! :lol:

Let's see that piece!!

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

OK, I went ahead and tried to see what I could determine with a freeze frame on my DVD. First time trying it here in Hawaii with my big screen TV with component video conections. It did give me a very clear freeze frame. The only time the gun is seen is right after they pull young Indy out of the "Lions Den". It is definately a 4 3/4 inch Colt 1873 "Peacemaker" or a clone of one. You can tell it's a 4 3/4 inch barrel as the ejector ends flush with the barrel. The gun in the photo that Antilles posted would be pretty much what it is.

I'll get that posted on the IMFDB.org site. If we can come up with a screen capture I'll be able to post that also. Hope someone can come up with one.

Thanks!

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It's in the movie, so it counts! ;) Looking forward to the screen grab!
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

You may also need to determine whether it is a real Colt or an Italian made Single Action replica Uberti revolver. I own real Colts and Italian clones. This photo looks like an Italian gun to me. The prop rental houses here in Los Angeles are full of them.

Indiana Jake
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Jake,

From looking at the DVD I think it will be impossible to determine if it is an actual Colt or a "clone". It's at a bit of a bad angle, pretty far away in the frame. and since he is holding the gun, the grip is obscured. Plus, as you know, the "clones" are practically exact duplicates of the real thing especially from the outside. Only through a closer examination in which you can see the makers stamps on the gun, or by actually cycling the action could you determine if it's a real Colt or not. The "clones" can look good from the outside but on the inside they usually don't function as smooth as a real Colt. Especially those older Italian jobs from 30 years ago.

Let's hope someone can post a good screen grab at hi-resolution. Maybe then we can pick up on some identifying detail.

Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

If the gun has a black powder frame it is more likely a clone. But there are plenty of push-pin frame clones. Black powder frame Colts are pretty rare.

Indiana Jake
Antilles
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Antilles »

You are correct Jake. Copies are very common these days. This one is made by US Firearms. The parts are from overseas but finished in the U.S. with better tolerances and finish including a genuine case hardened finished on the frame instead of the typical chemical proccess so common with imports.
Internally, the imports are basically the same as an origional Colt ecxept for quality control. However, with a little gunsmithing clones can be tuned up to perform very well.

Antilles
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Never did follow up on this thread so might as well do it now.
Here is a screen grab of the Colt Single Action with a 4 3/4" barrel.

And here is a pic of my EMF "clone" I just picked up for $300. This purchase now completes my "Last Crusade" collection!

Thanks again!

DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I have a Pietta (EMF Great Western II) clone as well as a real Colt SAA. I would get rid of all my other firearms before letting go of the Colt. As said earlier, some of the clones can be made into very, very nice guns. Wasn't aware until now that an SAA had ever made it into any of the Indy movies.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

DeWayne wrote:I have a Pietta (EMF Great Western II) clone as well as a real Colt SAA. I would get rid of all my other firearms before letting go of the Colt. As said earlier, some of the clones can be made into very, very nice guns. Wasn't aware until now that an SAA had ever made it into any of the Indy movies.
Well now you have a SA Indy handgun! You're lucky to have a real Colt SAA. Is it an antique or one of their new ones? I would love to see some pics!

DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Indiana Bond wrote:
Well now you have a SA Indy handgun! You're lucky to have a real Colt SAA. Is it an antique or one of their new ones? I would love to see some pics!

It's kind of an odd story. I bought it brand new in January, after having to wait for months. Upon calling Colt with my serial #, I found out it was actually made in '07. It was obviously unfired, and I was indeed the first owner. My FFL, who I know personally, said he wasn't sure how that happened. It did seem to have a few shelf wear issues, which is odd because they're so hard to get currently.

Because of the minor issues with it, I've sent it back to Colt. It's been there for months, but I've got word that not only are they fixing what I pointed out to them, they're giving it a complete refinish. (The custom shop manager is on one of the forums I'm on.) I hear Colt's finishing work is better now that it has ever been, so I'm excited to see how it looks when it's returned. It will look different when it gets back, but here's how it looked in January;

And the EMF;
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

DeWayne,

That Colt is real nice, especially the case coloring. So it is one of the new ones. I would love to get an antique one but the prices are way out of my league. The EMF looks like mine except yours has checkered grips. Haven't seen that before.

Theanks for sharing the pics!

DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Indiana Bond wrote:DeWayne,

That Colt is real nice, especially the case coloring. So it is one of the new ones. I would love to get an antique one but the prices are way out of my league. The EMF looks like mine except yours has checkered grips. Haven't seen that before.

Theanks for sharing the pics!

Yours is an EMF as well? Mine is the "Californian Deluxe" model. Only difference from the standard model is the grips. It was actually cheaper than the standard when I got it in 2010.

For anyone considering an Italian replica, EMF is a fantastic company. Their office is in Irvine, and mine had gone out of time from plenty of use and practicing. I took it in, and they tuned it up while I waited and showed me a bunch of their other guns. Bought a 45acp conversion cylinder while there too. A month later they called and asked if I was happy with the tune-up and the cylinder. Not many companies offer that kind of service these days.
Last edited by DeWayne on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Yes the EMF folks are great. I got to meet some of them a few years back when I lived in L.A.. They would come to do a "Scratch and Dent" sale at Walker 47 every so often. They would have some really great deals!

I'm still waiting for mine to be released from my FFL. We have a 3-4 week waiting period here in Hawaii. The action feels real nice and smooth so I look forward to putting a few rounds through her!

Thanks again!