Does anyone have this boot brand?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Does anyone have this boot brand?

Post by Aragorn658 »

http://www.thefryecompany.com/products/ ... er-lace-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Does anyone have this boot brand?

Post by theman »

Arag - Not yet, but that is a darn fine looking alternative boot, and made in the USA by a very good/well known company.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yup. And for $200 less than Aldens. Somebody get 'em and review 'em!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Nice catch.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Frye boots have a high reputation for quality. I don't think you could go wrong with them!
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

I am trying to make just that decision right now Hollow...ooops, I mean Kemosabe. I am dead set on either these Fryes at $298 or the even closer looking lug soled Red Wing Beckman http://www.redwingheritage.com/boots#&f ... ique-cigar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for around $350. Want to stay USA made, otherwise I'd be snatching up Todd's coming soon boots.
Last edited by theman on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

The light colored ones look LC all over!!!!!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I like the look of the Frye boots over the Red Wings, personally.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Re: Does anyone have this boot brand?

Post by Hollowpond »

theman wrote:I am trying to make just that decision right now Hollow...ooops, I mean Kemosabe. I am dead set on either these Fryes at $298 or the even closer looking lug soled Red Wing Beckman http://www.redwingheritage.com/boots#&f ... ique-cigar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for around $350. Want to stay USA made, otherwise I'd be snatching up Todd's coming soon boots.
Well, let us know what you get and what you think of them Danie...oops, I mean theman... :lol: ;)
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Its a tuff choice, i'm in the same boat with the todds. but i think the taller boots also

these look like tod boots especially from the bridge scene:
http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-boot ... ll-lace-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and these look close as well:
http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-boot ... s-mid-lace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

The Redwing 9029/9030 is an outstanding boot, as all the Beckmans are, I'm sure. Never seen the plain toe. I'd have kept the ones I bought, but they just didn't fit me like the Aldens. Funny how all their work boots seem to work perfectly for me, and these didn't. I wear Redwings all the time.

Very sturdy construction. I also buy American, although I make the exception with Todd's. And Birkenstocks.

I dunno about the Fryes, but they look great.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Dang, wish my Dad still designed fro Frye. Nice lookin boot, wish I spare mula.
Croft :mrgreen:
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

The Frye boots look to be really good - wouldn't mind some myself.

My wife bought a pair of boots from Frye last year - although the box has a lot of BS about them being a great American company, her boots are made in Mexico. I would have returned them, but she liked them. She has only worn them a couple of times though - I told her that if she isn't going to wear them they are off to the muddy bay.

The most recent boot purchase I made was a pair of William Lennon boots, from the UK. Best boots I've ever worn, much better fit than my Alden 403 (at about half the price) and more comfortable to wear.

Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

_h, those Lennons look very sturdy and comfortable.

The UK has many interesting boots. I'm still hankering for an English pair of Doc Marten's, as I think the original style is still available, made in England.

I'd love to try some Tricker's, but I guess I'm just not much of a 'Dandy"! Although I've spent enough on Alden's to qualify, I guess.
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

I'm with you on the Dr Martens, James. I had several pairs in my younger days while still living in the UK. I believe you are correct that it is possible to still get the Made in England ones - I wouldn't buy the Chinese version.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

the way I see it...is, if you are going to spend 200$ on Indy "knockoffs"...you might as well save up and get the real deal. The only way "to me that is" that a knockoff is worth it in boots is if they are 150$ and less..
http://www.thisshoesshows.com/black-roo ... p-345.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I was going to buy these but hard to find in size 13 and some people have them...some people dont..and I think they might be discontinued or heading that way.
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

nice addition to the list their youngjedi...
And while I can see your point, it is still a long way from $200 to $500... so finding a US made boot at the same quality level as the Aldens, with identical looks, all while saving me $200 is quite desirable. I have a hard enough pill swallowing my own US made jackets over $500, so spending that amount for much less leather is a tough one for me.
I ended up choosing to try the Red Wing option... these are dead-ringers for the Alden Indy boot with the lug sole(404) down to the stitch detail in the sides, just swap in some speed lace hooks for the top four eyelets and you're done. Got them here for just under the cost of the Fryes at $288 http://www.shoebacca.com/red-wing/beckman-r9030.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so if you are a size 11-11.5 in RWs this is the best price I could find... can't wait to go over them for you folks when they arrive.

I almost went for the Fryes, and on their own they are much better looking than Indy's while still being the basic style, but the point was the best most accurate US version for me, and aside from the lug sole, the RWs are it. I've had the smooth sole of the Todd's first-gen knockoffs, and prefer to go for lug on whichever Indy boot I get next, so this worked out nicely. Will get speed lace hooks next to go on them too.

david_h - totally with you on the Frye's situation... you have to look carefully at their line to find the actual US made stuff, as over half of their stuff is now imported Luckily the Fryes shown here as an Indy boot are US made... but much of their newer trendier looking boots are Imported like your wife's boots. Most sites selling Fryes will list Imported or US made, Frye's own site will only list US Made if they are, but doesn't list origin if they aren't.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Dan ,you're gonna like those Redwings. Very much like a Leather Soul Ultimate Indy. The moc toe is actually a real moc toe, embossed, and seems like two pieces of leather sewn together. Aldens are really just stitches in a plain toe. That's really the only difference.
Last edited by Illinois James on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

those red wings look great. I'd like an Indy boot that I can actually work in. That's the problem with both Aldens and Frey... I think that sole would be just too slippery for working on ladders and roofs. Currently got a pair of Red Wing 202's and they're a great boot. Not quite in a position yet to pop three bills for a pair of shoes however...
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Ladders, for the most part, Alden's are fine. Maybe not if it's wet, but we're not supposed to use a slippery ladder anyway, are we? But we all do.

As far as roofs, it depends on the roof. Flat rooftops are fine, but I won't get on a slant roof in Alden's if there's any hint of moisture. I'm amazed how well they usually seem to grip. Rubber cork is actually good for gripping, but add moisture and they can send you on a Nantucket sleigh ride!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Can't speak for the Red Wings here, but I have a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers and they are AWESOME boots.