Buying a replacement sweatband

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Buying a replacement sweatband

Post by Risu »

Hey everybody, I've been out of the Indy game for a couple years, but picked up a nice grey fedora a while back, save for its rotting sweatband. I tried looking around, but couldn't find any place that would sell a leather sweat. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Buying a replacement sweatband

Post by jlee562 »

Risu wrote:Hey everybody, I've been out of the Indy game for a couple years, but picked up a nice grey fedora a while back, save for its rotting sweatband. I tried looking around, but couldn't find any place that would sell a leather sweat. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Panama Bob (panamas.biz) used to sell individual sweats on ebay as best I recall. This question comes up every now and again on the fedora lounge and usually he sites that come up sell in bulk. There's also the option of sending it out to a place like Optimo to have it done professionally.
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

The hat was only $2 in a thrift store, very lucky find because it's a great hat, but not worth the $100 they'd probably charge to sew in a new sweat, especially when I'm capable of doing it myself. Thanks, though.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'd check directly with some of our hat maker members. They may be willing to sell an individual sweat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Risu wrote:The hat was only $2 in a thrift store, very lucky find because it's a great hat, but not worth the $100 they'd probably charge to sew in a new sweat, especially when I'm capable of doing it myself. Thanks, though.
Actually, a sweat shouldn't cost more than say $40. For instance, it's $25 at Optimo, $30 at cleanahat.com, $15 at Falcon Park Hattery, etc.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

This is a good thread with information about possible vendors.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... Sweatbands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Replacement of a sweat shouldn't cost you 100. We replace them for 35.

Sent from my LGViper Android
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Thanks for the updates. I took a look at ebay and found a seller over there that sells sweats for $15 shipped. Should be good enough. I know it's not much less than some places charge to do it, but I like doing stuff myself anyway. It'll be a fun learning experience.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

how did this work out for you?

I have an 80's ish vintage Akubra that my (former) dog ate the sweatband out of. I've been meaning to put a new one in it...
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Risu wrote:Thanks for the updates. I took a look at ebay and found a seller over there that sells sweats for $15 shipped. Should be good enough. I know it's not much less than some places charge to do it, but I like doing stuff myself anyway. It'll be a fun learning experience.
And let's not forget the cost of shipping both ways. It all adds up.

I know what you mean. I like doing things myself, too.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Mark Brody posted this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In it, he claims he bought a sweatband from http://www.hatsupply.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That might be something to check out as well, although it sounds like you're set up with one already.

:TOH: