long handled bull

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

long handled bull

Post by badger_state »

Well, after 2 sessions with a Peter Jack 5' stockwhip, I'm realizing that I'd rather have a long handled bullwhip. Call me crazy (I've been called worse...), but I just can't get over the fact that I'd rather have a bullwhip. Maybe it's the Indy thing...

In any case, are there any recommendations on a 6' bullwhip with a long (say, 10") handle? I'm finding that I like heavier whips, so Australian bulls aren't necessarily at the top of my list.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I'll probably be selling my Peter Jack tan and green stockwhip on eBay tonight. I need some money for another bullwhip!

J.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: long handled bull

Post by Sergei »

badger_state wrote:Well, after 2 sessions with a Peter Jack 5' stockwhip, I'm realizing that I'd rather have a long handled bullwhip. Call me crazy (I've been called worse...), but I just can't get over the fact that I'd rather have a bullwhip. Maybe it's the Indy thing...

In any case, are there any recommendations on a 6' bullwhip with a long (say, 10") handle? I'm finding that I like heavier whips, so Australian bulls aren't necessarily at the top of my list.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I'll probably be selling my Peter Jack tan and green stockwhip on eBay tonight. I need some money for another bullwhip!

J.
I just couldn't resist. Excellent post. I went through the same mentation about 2 years ago. Joe Strain makes his signature "Lone Star" bullwhip with the 10" handle. I got a matched pair of 6 footer with the dual tone knots. There are clearly the best whips in my bag.

Check out his website.

-Sergei
Last edited by Sergei on Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by badger_state »

Sergei:

As I was writing the original post, I was thinking of the Strain and Stenhouse "target" whips that you had posted about some time ago. I also keep picturing Paul Stenhouse doing volleys with his Indy whip. Inspirational stuff to be sure!

Let's hope I can make enough off of the Jack whip (by the way, nothing against Peter's stuff - it is beautiful). To finance a bull!

Thanks!

J.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

WOW those are nice whips Sergei !

I guess I'll need 3 jobs now....... :lol:

Peace
Ken
Richie
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Richie »

Sergei:

is there a significant difference between the "indy style" and the "lone star" of Joe Strain?

I've got my first Joe Strain (8ft indy) last month and I'm pleasant surprised about this fine balanced whip with such solid design and very own character.

I'm sure it will be not my last JS, the fast 6footers are my true passion.

all the best

Richie
badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by badger_state »

Well, I've listed it on eBay... (sniff...sob...)

What can I say, I'd prefer a bullwhip...

Take a look
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3902965913

At least I can start window shopping for a long handled bull whip now!
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Too bad about your Peter Jack stockwhip. I remember you had requested a lead time from me on a 4 ft stockwhip and said I was pretty backed up.
He does make beautiful work, but I am not a fan of his stockwhips. I love whipcracking with two stockwhips and long handled bullwhips. I think his volley bullwhips he makes are the best for double handed whip work. I cannot think of doing much volley work with a pair of Joe Strain's. They just weren't meant for that. I have an 8 ft JS Lone Star that I love to use, but it's heavy. I've had it about 10 years now. A great whip but cannot imagine trying to do 2 whip routines with another like it. There's just too much weight there. You should've asked Peter about a pair of his 7 foot volley bulls. They are sweet. If you like heavy bullwhips, that's fine, but heavy is not good for swinging two whips. I've won a lot of freestyle championships with two whips. I should know what I am talking about. Anther good whipmaker that I like that has good whips for doing a 2 whip routine is Russell Schultz. John Brady endorses him also.
I keep an aresenal of whips in my bag when I do shows.
5 ft snake by Drew Schraag
14' 12 plait 12" handle whip by me
8 ft JS Lone Star
(2) 5ft 6" McMaster stockwhips
(2) 4 ft McMaster stockwhips, formerly owned by 7-time Aussie whipcracking champion
(2) 5 ft Peter Jack whitehide stockwhips
(2) 5 ft Murphy stockwhips
6 ft E-M Brand bullwhip
6 ft Peter Jack volleybullwhip with 16" handle (Sweet!)

Best of everything,
Robert Duke
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Robert,
My 6 foot JS Lone Star whips are much lighter than what you described. They were designed for two handed volley work. I would say that these are just as light as Russell Shultz's whip. If your JS Lone Stars are 10 years old that explains the difference. Joe started lightening up his whips for the past 3 years now. I have one that is 5 years old and that one was heavy. In fact it was Russell that gave Joe some pointers on making his whips less heavy and a little less tight. As you remember it took forever to break in a Joe Strain. But not now. They are redesigned.

I am not trying to be contrarian, but I thought I post this so that it would not be misleading to future readers here. You should talk to Joe about his (new) Lone Stars. A World of difference, my friend.

-Sergei
Last edited by Sergei on Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by badger_state »

Thanks for the update on the Strain lone star bullwhips, Sergei. I've been wanting to take the plunge for some time and that really makes my decision of which whip to get next easier!