Quick poll about the KOTCS bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Black or saddle tan knots?

Poll ended at Fri May 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Black
21%
Saddle Tan
79%

Total votes: 14

riku1914
Vendor

Quick poll about the KOTCS bullwhip

Post by riku1914 »

I just wanted to get an idea of how you guys see the crystal skull bullwhip. Unless I get an order in the next 2 or so weeks, I'm

going to be making a KOTCS style bullwhip next. I wanted to know if you guys prefer to knots to be black, like you often see in the

movie, or saddle tan, same color as the whip, like Terry Jacka makes them? The overlay and everything is done in saddle tan, I'm

just asking about the handle knots.

Whichever wins the poll is how I'll make it! Poll runs for 3 days.

Thanks guys!
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Quick poll about the KOTCS bullwhip

Post by Aragorn658 »

I think I'm the only KOTCS fan haha. Please not black saddle tan all the way!!!!!! =P~
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I don't like that whip myself, but I prefer saddle tan knots. I like it even with lighter saddle tan knots and darker saddle tan thong. Terry makes DeLongis bullwhips in that combo too.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

riku1914 wrote:I just wanted to get an idea of how you guys see the crystal skull bullwhip. Unless I get an order in the next 2 or so weeks, I'm

going to be making a KOTCS style bullwhip next. I wanted to know if you guys prefer to knots to be black, like you often see in the

movie, or saddle tan, same color as the whip, like Terry Jacka makes them? The overlay and everything is done in saddle tan, I'm

Thanks guys!
And wont the saddle tan continue to darken over time
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Aragorn658 wrote:
riku1914 wrote:I just wanted to get an idea of how you guys see the crystal skull bullwhip. Unless I get an order in the next 2 or so weeks, I'm

Thanks guys!
It will, but it will never become truly black. It will get very dark brown, almost black, but never as black as a black hide is. For

instance I made a whip in whiskey back in september, and people who first see it think it's black whip. When I point out that if

you look closely it's actually brown, they see it.

But yes, the knots will darken with time, especially the heel knot ( greases from your hand will darken it more rapidly than

other areas ).
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

riku1914 wrote:
Aragorn658 wrote:

Thanks guys!
It will, but it will never become truly black. It will get very dark brown, almost black, but never as black as a black hide is. For

instance I made a whip in whiskey back in september, and people who first see it think it's black whip. When I point out that if

you look closely it's actually brown, they see it.

But yes, the knots will darken with time, especially the heel knot ( greases from your hand will darken it more rapidly than

other areas ).
Thats what I think would look best a REAL dark brown...just not black. But again that totally just me. But what ever whip Riku makes I would take on ANY adventure.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Brandy tan would fit that bill well .
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I rather prefer the more subtle tonal change compared to the black I think..I voted saddle tan...Either the same colour or just a touch darker I would think suits the whip the best...Although Crystal Skull whips are a little closer to the difference, I still feel that having a subtler colouring on the whip would have been preferred by someone who dressed in browns, greys and tans...

I'd say go with saddle tan, or a slightly darker brown, but not as far as black...

Regards! :TOH:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Thanks guys! Please keep giving your opinion on which tone you want the knot, if you vote saddle tan. It'd be easy to make the

knots lighter than the whip, easy enough to make them the same color, and to make them slightly darker would be a simple matter

of cutting out the lace and letting it sit in the sun for a day ( that's what I do when I'm make the dark ring knot at the end of a

raiders whip, if I don't have any light saddle tan leather nearby ).

If it ends up saddle tan winning ( looking like it is right now ) it will probably end up about this color:

http://theaustralianwhipco.com/IMG_1182.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's one of the pictures of the KOTCS bullwhip on Jacka's site.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Unless black gets 8 votes in the next 7 hours, looks like it's saddle tan, which actually makes buying leather easier.

The problem though, the person I buy leather from is currently out of saddle tan, and the tannery won't have any for a month. I'm

considering making the whip I've been wanting to make myself, and then once he has saddle tan again making the crystal skull

whip.

At any rate, you'll see each of them when they are done.

Thanks for the votes and opinions everybody.
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

I just finished up this 10ft SA KOTCS whip. It will be shipping out to Germany in another week and the customer is going to send me some pics' of it with his 10ft Jacka for a comparison. He said he liked the Jacka very much in its saddle tan with saddle tan knots but he wanted something a bit more screen accurate. I am looking forward to his review of weight and performance of my Indy 4 vs. the Jacka. I will be sure to past this info' on to COW members to give a more informative description of what you are purchasing.

This one is a saddle tan light brown mix with dark brown knots.
http://creasencorral.brickmanngroup.com ... cord_ID=86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Image Image

These are some screen shots of what we were going for.

Image Image Image

The Indy 4 whips don't seem to be as popular as the Morgan style whips when it comes to sales but when one is ordered it's almost always a SA request.
I will add that these whips are not ideal for wearing with your Indy gear. With the weight and super stiff transition they do not coil up and hang well from a whip strap. However they are very accurate in target work, more than suitable for raps and sound like a cannon with the overhead crack.

-Dusty
Indy's brother
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy's brother »

Sorry to derail this thread a bit, but where did you get that skull?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

parttime wrote:I just finished up this 10ft SA KOTCS whip. It will be shipping out to Germany in another week and the customer is going to send me some pics' of it with his 10ft Jacka for a comparison. He said he liked the Jacka very much in its saddle tan with saddle tan knots but he wanted something a bit more screen accurate. I am looking forward to his review of weight and performance of my Indy 4 vs. the Jacka. I will be sure to past this info' on to COW members to give a more informative description of what you are purchasing.

This one is a saddle tan light brown mix with dark brown knots.
http://creasencorral.brickmanngroup.com ... cord_ID=86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Image Image

These are some screen shots of what we were going for.

Image Image Image

The Indy 4 whips don't seem to be as popular as the Morgan style whips when it comes to sales but when one is ordered it's almost always a SA request.
I will add that these whips are not ideal for wearing with your Indy gear. With the weight and super stiff transition they do not coil up and hang well from a whip strap. However they are very accurate in target work, more than suitable for raps and sound like a cannon with the overhead crack.

-Dusty
Your whip looks like the knots are brandy, am I correct?
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

Indy's brother - I made the skull from clay a couple of years ago.

riku1914 - I dyed the knot strands with straight dark brown oil dye. I quess brandy would be a close enough color to call it.
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

Here are a couple of outdoor pictures.

Image Image

-Dusty