straw hat vendor

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

straw hat vendor

Post by stevemahaffey »

The hat you did for John is EXACTLY the hat I want. I have been putting off ordering from you while talking the wife in to it, all the while thinking "I wish that F&G had the same ribbon as my Penman, that would be perfect!". Good to see I was right. Don't know why it never occurred to me to just call John and ask him to sell me a ribbon, though I'm not sure how he would feel about someone other than himself using his ribbon on another hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: straw hat vendor

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Count me in as one more person who's impressed with the look of the "Penman Ribbon / Fortune & Glory Vented Straw hat"
So, the key question now seems to be "What happens next with this?"
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Re: straw hat vendor

Post by MS Jones »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Count me in as one more person who's impressed with the look of the "Penman Ribbon / Fortune & Glory Vented Straw hat"
So, the key question now seems to be "What happens next with this?"
I second the question. This would be awesome for the south MS heat. #### of a price, too. :TOH: Cheers.

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk 2
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I really like the penman version as well. But I do still like the original F&G. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. The vents don't bother me in the crease! I'd imaging the do a better job than side vents anyway.

Count me as interested in a fedora-style with vents! Let us know pricing and availability!

I could use one by May 10 or May 26 if possible.

Thanks,
Riothamus
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Count me in as well. My dad refuses to wear fedoras because he says they make his head too hot. He also doesn't like the general idea of a straw hat, BUT these are no ordinary straw hats! I would definitely get one immediately just so he'll finally have a practical, cool lid! Keep this ball rollin' folks...just tell me where to sign ;)
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

:H:

F&G here! And can I buy extra hat pins?
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

Alright Indy fans,

Here's the skinny.

I have been corresponding with John Penman About the ribbon.
I cannot supply you with the same vintage ribbon that he uses on his Indy hats for the same reasons that he will not sale this ribbon to anyone unless it is on one of his hats. Being a whip maker I understand the importance of maintaining privacy when it comes to suppliers and trade secrets. One should never show all their ace's so I nor anyone else should fault him for that.

However because of the importance among the Indy commiunity for authenticity and screen accuracy John is willing to supply me with ribbon more than suitable for this collaboration without driving prices through the celling.

He will be suppling me with 1 1/2 inch grosgrain ribbon in chocolate brown and black. Also they will have Johns signature bow and stiching. Along with my Ark of the Covenant Cherub pin. I will be recieving the first shipment of these ribbons some time next week and since I have Johns size in stock his will be shipping out the following week.
He has also agreed to give the hat a review. Being that so many of you have purchased a Penman hat he will know what you have come to exspect in Indy headwear and brief you accordingly.

I will not be changing up the fedora pictures or selection on my website right away. For the time being the Penman ribbon will be available upon request. We are working out the details of price.

John or myself will posting some pictures soon.

Thank you for your patience,
-Dusty
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Beautiful. I love how this community works.
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

parttime wrote:Alright Indy fans,

Here's the skinny.

I have been corresponding with John Penman About the ribbon.
I cannot supply you with the same vintage ribbon that he uses on his Indy hats for the same reasons that he will not sale this ribbon to anyone unless it is on one of his hats. Being a whip maker I understand the importance of maintaining privacy when it comes to suppliers and trade secrets. One should never show all their ace's so I nor anyone else should fault him for that.

However because of the importance among the Indy commiunity for authenticity and screen accuracy John is willing to supply me with ribbon more than suitable for this collaboration without driving prices through the celling.

He will be suppling me with 1 1/2 inch grosgrain ribbon in chocolate brown and black. Also they will have Johns signature bow and stiching. Along with my Ark of the Covenant Cherub pin. I will be recieving the first shipment of these ribbons some time next week and since I have Johns size in stock his will be shipping out the following week.
He has also agreed to give the hat a review. Being that so many of you have purchased a Penman hat he will know what you have come to exspect in Indy headwear and brief you accordingly.

I will not be changing up the fedora pictures or selection on my website right away. For the time being the Penman ribbon will be available upon request. We are working out the details of price.

John or myself will posting some pictures soon.

Thank you for your patience,
-Dusty
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

CAN I BE FIRST!! CAN I BE FIRST!! CAN I BE FIRST!!!!!! =P~ =P~ =P~
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Like dusty stated we are working together so please be patient with him. Hopefully real soon you will have some photos, prices, details and a review.

John
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

That is just genius...

Thank you Dusty, and yourself John for being so willing to give us what we loved!!

Most excellent.

Warmest regards to you both...Summer's looking up! :TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

wow. Glad I started this thread. :TOH:

LOL. Can't wait!
patchcamel
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by patchcamel »

John and Dusty, this proposed collaboration sounds awesome, can't wait for these to go on sale. Good show gentlemen. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

backstagejack, I'm glad I kept asking the questions... :lol:
BendingOak wrote:Like dusty stated we are working together so please be patient with him. Hopefully real soon you will have some photos, prices, details and a review.

John
As we know, patience isn't this crews 'forte' ( :lol: ), but we all need to bear in mind, the clock is ticking. This is a seasonal item, unlike a felt fedora. Let's all kind of back off and let Dusty get his ducks in a row. The sooner the better as the summer weather won't wait.

Based on Dusty's timeline, we're talking about a possible review by the middle of May. It's supposed to be 81 today where I live, and temps and humidity are already climbing here in the South, so here's hoping the product isn't ready after the train has already left the station.

We've had more than one vendor here who waited until the last minute to supply a hat like this, only to be left behind when he didn't have product in time for the season, and couldn't afford to store inventory for the next year. They're now gone.

Dusty has to get the final ok on the hat design before proceeding, then either set up inventory stock of the majority of hat sizes so he can ship when an order comes in, or you have to factor in time for him to MAKE a hat as the orders come in, which also adds time to a delivery date.

With the timeline above for the review, could we be talking a possible delivery date of June or even July? That all depends on how quickly Dusty handles his product inventory and production, and this isn't all he does at his store.

That's why we need to give him breathing room now if this is going to get off the ground.

I KNOW Dusty's already aware of that, but it needed to be said out loud as we, too, are aware of it.

I'm hoping you'll be able to keep it within the price range of your other offerings. A special Indy-fan type item is great, but if it's too costly, it could dampen the enthusasum you're currently seeing in these posts. Custom PB straws aren't that much more expensive to acquire if you push the $100 mark.

Just tossing that out there as you proceed. :TOH:

Sorry if sounds like I'm preaching here....but I was around monitoring those 2 other attempts in the past, with the same interest and timing being shown by the community, and as I said above neither one of them got off the ground due to the start up timing. Here's hoping this one flies, as it's a real contender! I really want to see one become a success! [-o<

The last (and only) successful Indy straw hat project I was around and actually involved with that did fly was the PB straw, and that's been a LONG time ago. They started on the idea in early March, and had a product in place by April of that year. It's still being sold, so it's all in the timing, as usual. It was also 'doable' by PB as they left themselves a back door.... the material being used to make the hats could be made into other styles during the other parts of the year when the Indy line wasn't selling. That's why it's only sold as a custom hat.

Looking forward to how this all shakes out! Good luck! :M:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

I'm really excited about this. For me, a PB straw and Penman owner in FL, it gives me everything Ive wanted in a straw hat.
1. A straw hat that holds its Indy shape over time
2. Vents that are hidden, yet serve a purpose
3. John's influence when it comes to bash, ribbon and bow
4. A price that may allow me to get 1 for yard work and 1 for going out

Hope this works out. Count me in.

Matt
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I really didn't want to jump in here that much but I see now I must.

First Dusty has been selling his western straw hats for some time. He also already has had a indyesk offering already. The only thing that is changing is the ribbon, tweaking the crease and adding vent holes. These things wont take that much time. Considering that this request just came in a week or so ago I think We need to be a bit more understanding.

I will have the bows/ribbon shipping out to him friday, monday the latest. He should have them by tuesday or maybe the day after that. My understanding that Dusty will have my hat ready by the time he gets the stock of bows/ribbon. He will only have to sew my ribbon on. I will pay extra to get mine to me as fast as possible as to get the review to you and pics.

I already gave Dusty a quote to cost of material and labor. I only need to give him a price for shipping and I should have that to him the day I ship. Im thinking that everyone will have prices, photos and review by next friday the latest.

Thats what we are shooting for.

Now since not much is changing I will say this about the Dusty product.

I will comment or review now of the hat of mine that was post to give everyone a jump start to this offering.

First Dusty is a real nice guy and is easy to deal with. Heck he has to deal with this abrasive New Yorker and he made me feel like I wasn't. He wants to do great work and please his customers. That is number one reason I'm helping him with this project.

2nd, His sewing on my hat was great. He made me happy with his sewing and Im a picky SOB.

Now I had him sew one of my prepped sweatbands and Indy bow/ribbon onto the hat you see posted in my thread. I can't comment yet on his sweatbands but I can tell you about the ribbon he will be using. He will have brown and black 1 1/2 inch rayon/cotton grosgrain ribbon. Its a good quality modern ribbon and most of the guys here have sen it because most of the hatters here use it.

It is NOT the Indy Screen used ribbon that Steve, Marc and myself use. I will not sell that to anyone. Sorry about that but that stays in the family of the three stooges.

I will be prepping the bows for Dusty so everyone is assured to have a screen accurate one as possible.

Now to the straw that Dusty uses. Its a western straw so its nothing like a panama or milan straw. Its stiff and the crease that is put in will stay even if the post office bangs the shipping box around. You don't have to worry about getting caught in a sudden down poor because rain will just bounce off of this bad boy.If you want to change the crease job you WILL have to steam it. The only thing I don't like about it that it is so stiff. I'm used to panama straw hats that are flexible.
Panama hats I take care of because you can crack panama straw if you are rough with it. With anything, if its stiffer it will be that much more ready to break. At the price Dusty is asking and will be offering for the ones I will be helping him with. They are well worth what you are paying.

Now I suggested that he put the vent holes under the ribbon and add some holes to his sweatband so there will be airflow without showing the vent holes. This should make them very cool in the summer months. last note they are very light hats. Not a lot of weight to them and makes it great for the summer months.

I think the crease that dusty puts in is just fine and reminds me of the TOD hat. I just made a suggestion and tweaking the brim just a little to make it more SA. Most wont even know the difference because most don't pay that much attention when it comes to that movie hat. When I made my offerings for the other movie hats I gave the same attention to the details and I wanted to share that with dusty.

Remember this is Dusty's project and product. Im am just trying to help out a good guy and the fellow fans here. I hope I didn't over step myself with Dusty. Just trying to help move things along.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent information, as always. :M: :tup:

Thanks, John. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

You're a good man Mr. Penman!!! Anyone in the business of making hats.......ANY hats.....would be lucky to have you as an advisor, mentor, and friend. Good luck to you and Dusty!! :tup:
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Wow! Can't wait till next Friday!!!
Soooo excited...
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yep... watchin' this like a HAWK
(a hawk who'd like a nice Indyish straw hat)
:)

Thanks, John for stating very clearly what's up with this whole situation.
:TOH:
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Yep... watchin' this like a HAWK
Same here! I'll be very interested to see what John thinks of the hat.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Well, John and I are the same size so this may work out great. Interesting point about the vents underneath the ribbon. I would not have thought that would be cool enough in the FL heat. Hope Dusty or John notifies us on when and how to order.

Matt
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Nope, we are going to keep it a secret on how to order......,,,,,,,,,
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Since parttime has vendor status, and unless backstagejack has any objections (PM me if you do, sir), let's shut this thread down as we're now in a holding pattern until the 'reveal'.

Dusty, if you would be so kind, please open a new thread announcing the new hat in the vendors section that you now have permission to use for announcements and discussions of your products. It's reserved for vendors.
:TOH:

Regards! Michaelson