Show us your US Wings goatskin jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Show us your US Wings goatskin jackets

Post by ron521 »

Don't have one to post, but would like to see US Wings goatskin jackets, and hear comments about them.
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Show us your US Wings goatskin jackets

Post by Lao Feng »

Ditto. I would love to hear/see more about USW goat.
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Hello all! Here are a few pics of the one that I just picked up. It's brand new with about ten minutes wear. I can say that the goat is very substantial. Feels very tough! and has quite a bit of heft to it. It reminds me a lot of my old G&B Goat in terms of weight and consrtuction. At present It is quite stiff and will need some wear to break it in. It is on the TOD/LC side of things as far as cut is concerned. The lining on this one is a cotton blend. Some may not like this but it works for me. My jacket came with a Cooper tag that claims it to be an A-2 :-k I highly recommend this for your more than pedestrian outings!

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, the Wings goatskin is indeed a top drawer jacket. I've had one in hand a few years ago, and though the sleeves were too short for my long arms, it was a VERY VERY nicely made jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

This one looks fantastic! Love the pocket flaps on this one..nicely scalloped!

Cool deal, man!

Regards!
Dracula...er...uhhh...Indydawg :[ 8)
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

That's a beauty. Looks like it will really be able to "take it." Thankls for taking thr trouble to post the photos. Best -- Febg
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Hmmmm. :-k A "Cooper" tag? That is VERY cool. But I tought Schott made all the sigantuyre series jackets...and ther goat is part of the Signature Line, no?

By the way...the above in NO WAY detracts from the fact that this jacket is fantastic. Wish I had one. Just noting a curiouslty.
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

I have to agree, it is curious. I think it makes it kinda cool in that the tag claims the jacket to be an A-2. I had like you thought that Schott made the jackets and still believe that they do. I may have to contact the original owner and learn how old this one is. I was told that it sat new and unworn in this persons collection for "a long time". Now I'm wondering how long? When I took it out of the box it had that great new leather smell, the zip was stiff, there were no creases from wear, only two down each sleeve from being folded/stored. The collar which is quite thick was completely "untrained" G&B owners know what I mean. This jacket was immaculate save for a small area at the cuff end where the sleeve seam wasn't stitched as tight as I should have been. I have another thread here in the COW showing that. So yes this one does leave me scratching my head a bit but I will say this. As of this posting I have spent my first day in it and man does it feel like it can take a beating. It is very warm (at least for me). This morning was 42 degrees out and the jacket was enough. I suspect it will do well in the winter with a thin layer underneath. If you have the chance to get one by all means do it. You'll love it. I'll also try to get some pics with me in it so you can get an idea of the size.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I would love to see that Goatskin on. back and front.
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Here are a few more pics of the jacket with me in it. You can see that it is fairly stiff but I know that won't last. For size reference I am 5'7" and 210 lbs. Yep you guessed it "Short-Round". I wear a standard off the rack 46R with no mods. This fits like it was made for me. I love it! Though not a flaw I am partial to the sliders but the D rings are not too offensive. The adjustment straps are fairly short. So not much to play with. Hope this helps and if you need any more pics let me know.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

WOW. What size is this?

this USW jacket has the best looking backpanel ever! it doesnt look like it has the gap.. the backpanel just looks really wide at the top and thats really cool!

add some snaps and you have last crusade or leave it as it is and its a ''bantu wind'' low yoke raiders.

very nice!!

if I had a usw jacket like that I would never ever sell it. IMO this jacket is as cool as the HERO usw.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Fantastic find! Looks phenomenal.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Right on Soulman! I've been looking forward to seeing that one. It must be close to the same age as mine. Here's a couple shots I took this morning.

It's my ToD jacket, and I love it!

Weston
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Thanks for the kind comments. It's a LARGE. Sorry I forgot to add that little bit. I'm not going to pretend to know all about the gap but if you mean that the back panel meets the shoulder seam then it does not. There is a space of about half an inch between the top of the back panel and the shoulder seam. I will attempt to find out how old this jacket is.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hey Travis. if you ever want to give that goat jacket a new home Ill take it ;)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

You bet Eric. I'll let you know as soon as I get tired of it! :P

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... s+goatskin

Yep, we were singing the praises of this jacket back in 2007!

and before that in 2002:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... s+goatskin

Regard! Michaelson
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

I got word from the original owner of the jacket and he stated that it was presented to him as a gift and that he had it stored for "years". I'm wondering if it truly is a blast from the past? It looks a whole lot like Westons just factory new. It almost makes me not want to wear it. What if it turned out to be some strange collectors item worth bazillions? :shock: Nah...
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Remember what Belloq said about the cheap pocket watch in "Raiders"...
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

#-o You know stranger things have happened. I just don't think I can let this one just sit. I have always loved and looked forward to what I call "jacket season". With this new addition I love it even more. I can't explain how perfect this jacket feels. The weight, the fit, the look. It's just real comfortable.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

So, wear it! :lol:

Goatskin is practically bullet proof, no matter WHO the maker, and there's no aftermarket gain in used clothing, so it's not going to gain in value, regardless of the condition.

Put it on and enjoy it!

Regards! Michaelson
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Now that's what I'm talking about! I had a G&B A-2 in goat and I beat that thing to death and it only got better with age. Oh I miss that jacket.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Oddly, I have only one picture of a US Wings goatskin from my collection. And it's my black one... used with my gray-scale Indy gear.

ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

That's the first and only picture I've ever seen of the black Wings goat being worn by someone. That's one nice looking jacket!
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Very, very nice! I love the roll of the collar. Did you do it by hand or was it always like that? I'm trying to get that look but my collar is fighting me a bit.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I'd say it's my favorite US Wings jacket. It fits like it was made for me, and has broken in wonderfully. The collar is a combination of natural wear and deliberate shaping. When I got it (second hand) the left side was way out of wack.

It took numerous sittings, but all I did was wet the collar and work it with my hands. I just had it in my lap while watching tv. Then, one day, it looked close to what I wanted. That's when I wet it again, put it on, and worked on it in front of a mirror.

As with all gear distressing and styling, patience is key.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I love that jacket chewie. put some snaps on it and you have a LC. just love those USW Indy style jackets.
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Oddly, I have only one picture of a US Wings goatskin from my collection. And it's my black one... used with my gray-scale Indy gear.

I dig that whole outfit. :tup: :TOH:
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Yeah I have to also say that the whole gray scale thing is way cool :)
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Weston, that's a nice looking jacket! I like your hat too. :TOH:

soulman and Chewbacca Jones, great jackets. :)
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Thanks a lot! It's getting cooler here in VA. so I'm starting to finally get some daily wear out of my new jacket. I love the way this thing feels. Real tough.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

soulman wrote:Thanks a lot! It's getting cooler here in VA. so I'm starting to finally get some daily wear out of my new jacket. I love the way this thing feels. Real tough.
Great! I can imagine it feeling tough. They look tough! If you can, show us some pics of the jacket after it's been worn a bit. :)
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

I will definitely post some pics as it breaks in.
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Recently purchased a second Signature Series jacket, this time in black goatskin.
Same size (M), same great quality and fit as my brown VIP.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

man! I gotto tell ay, I really dig how these USW jackets rest on you. you wear them VERY well.

GREAT jacket
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Goat is my favorite hide from US wings... A bit thinner and more comfortable than G&B's goat IMO.

I sure do wish Sarge would make some Legends in GOAT. Nudge, Nudge.. Wink, Wink! Come on sarge make the legend in goat!!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Wow, look at that drape and the wavy zipper! I think the myth that the facings spoil this look are now defunct!
Weston wrote:Right on Soulman! I've been looking forward to seeing that one. It must be close to the same age as mine. Here's a couple shots I took this morning.

It's my ToD jacket, and I love it!

Weston
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Just noticed today that the Signature Series jackets, including the goatskin, are on sale, $100 off....wish I'd known ahead of time, could have enjoyed a significant savings. :-({|=
Oh well
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I would LOVE to see a nice grainy goatskin in the legend pattern!

Travis
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Hollowpond wrote:I would LOVE to see a nice grainy goatskin in the legend pattern!

Travis
I made some extra Indy-Style Goatskin Jackets about ten years ago and Last week Roz said We have about 700 in all sizes and I think We may sell them at a loss next month... Just a thought! I have not called MDI or Disney yet.

Sarge
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Sarge, if those jackets are like the one Weston is wearing - the big pocket flaps - I may well become a customer.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Michaelson wrote:Yeah, the Wings goatskin is indeed a top drawer jacket. I've had one in hand a few years ago, and though the sleeves were too short for my long arms, it was a VERY VERY nicely made jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
I said it last October, and I'll say it again....the goatskin that Wings uses is fabulous material. It's on of the very few examples I had through my hands for review that I regretted did NOT fit. It would still be in my closet to this very day. :(

It was a size medium. I needed a large to address the sleeve length problem. . #-o

Great leather, made by Schott, on sale.....talk about the 'perfect storm'! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

CM wrote:Sarge, if those jackets are like the one Weston is wearing - the big pocket flaps - I may well become a customer.
Our Web Master Glenn is taking new pictures and should have the Banner up tomorrow! They are 100 % Union made in the USA by Roz Schott.. They are being sold under cost and when they are gone Roz and I will not be making the Indy-Style in Goatskin... It comes down to supply! All future Goatskin will go toward our US Military Contracts....

Sarge
shootist16
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shootist16 »

soulman wrote:Thanks for the kind comments. It's a LARGE. Sorry I forgot to add that little bit. I'm not going to pretend to know all about the gap but if you mean that the back panel meets the shoulder seam then it does not. There is a space of about half an inch between the top of the back panel and the shoulder seam. I will attempt to find out how old this jacket is.
The jacket pictured in your posts above is a large? And you are a 46R? I was considering a large signature goatskin in large and I'm a 42. It would be way too big for me if this is the case.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

So I bought a signature series Goat a month or two back, since the clearance price was too good to pass up. I loved, loved, loved the leather, but wasn't too happy with the look of the baggy fit (though it is really comfy). I was surprised at how perfect the length was, body and (once I'd pulled out the cuffs) sleeves, considering that it was a regular and often tall sizes aren't even long enough for me. Anyway, I did think about selling it (had it up in the Bazaar for a bit) but then I got to thinking, I gave my last goat jacket (a Wested) a little water treatment and it shrank like crazy, maybe I could shrink this one.

So yesterday I gave it a quick shower and some wear time and, while it didn't shrink, it did conform itself to my body to help subdue some of the bagginess. Then I thought, hey, if this had some snaps on the flap it would make a pretty sweet LC jacket.

So, this morning I slapped on some snaps. I went with new brass, rather than any antiqued kind, because I'll just let the leather break in on its own rather than predistressing it, so I figure the snaps will tarnish by the time this super-tough goat starts looking like it's been around the block.

Anyhoo, long story short, I'm actually really happy with the results of the last two days' treatment. And while I'm not a big screen-accuracy person and it's probably way off from the movie, this is my perfect LC jacket.

The color in the second picture is a little wonky.... sorry! :o
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

"Anyhoo, long story short, I'm actually really happy with the results of the last two days' treatment. And while I'm not a big screen-accuracy person and it's probably way off from the movie, this is my perfect LC jacket."

That's what counts! Great looking jacket there!

Weston
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

One of the downsides of hanging around here is the resulting hypervigilance about the gear. The last time I watched LC I couldn't help but notice how artificial the distressing on the jacket looked.

That said, I think yours looks a darn sight better than the movie jacket, and it looks great on you. Nicely done. :tup:
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Just wanted to post these pics of the US Wings brown Signature Goatskin I got a couple weeks ago when they were still $195. I've been using the distressing technique Tundraraider posted here. The colors are off in this picture when I have a chance to take some pictures with better lighting I will.

I'm a big guy and this is a 3XL. It's super soft and well made, I just love the dark color and the grain. Very happy with this jacket. My goal is to lose some weight and get a G&B expedition when I've lost the belly hehe.

Click on the images for a larger version. (to see the grain better)

- bish :TOH:
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

I had tried to buy a brown goatskin jacket a few months back, but USW ran out of my size (M) before my order was filled. However, last week I was fortunate enough to find a brown goatskin jacket with tags still attached on eBay. Looks absolutely new, and it's a nice alternative to the black goatskin I purchased a couple of years ago, and to my VIP cowhide purchased a couple of years before that.

So now I've got three Signature Series jackets in various hides. I'm kind of a fan of these, as the fit just FEELS right. Maybe someday I'll try out a Legend...but as Larry David might say, I'm pretty....pretty....pretty...satisfied with the SS.
mark ricketts
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by mark ricketts »

I have only had my Signature goatskin jacket for a week, so no photos yet.
The first thing that struck me is the fit. After talking to US Wings I was told that I was border between XL and 2XL. I ordered XL as this was all they had, and was worried it might be too small. If anything the jacket looks a size too big. Nice and comfortable, but not the smartest appearance. The arms are also amazingly baggy.
That being said, it is generally a good jacket, and very well made. The goatskin has plenty of character and a great colour, without being artificially distressed. The leather seems strong enough to last several years ( this is a jacket that will be used primarily for heavy labour, not a fashion jacket or costume). The jacket started off stiff, but has relaxed well after only three days of wear, morning, noon, night and even sleep.
Overall summary, very comfortable, great quality material and build, with questionable fit and style. But for $249 you can't say fairer than that.