How Much Hats Cost in 1942

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I came a cross a Dover 'Reprint', Cowboy Gear 1942. An old mail order catalog. Towards the back is the Stetson Collection. A fair number of hats, in the western style, ranging from $6.50 to $22.50. The median price is approximately $15.00. They were fairly pricey for the time.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: How Much Hats Cost in 1942

Post by Michaelson »

Not surprised, considering it was the first year we were fully involved in military start up for WW2.

Regards! Michaelson
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

The oldest hats I have are a ca. 1950's Stetson Open Road 3x ($15.00) and a late 50's/early 60's Dobbs Gay Prince ($20.00).
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

that would make the $15.00 hat from 1942 = $211.00 today
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I was hoping one of you would figure the difference for me. Thank you, sir! And that's about what many Stetsons might go for today, depending where you shop. IMHO a custom made hat is the best way to go. There are a lot of talented and fine hatmakers in business today. From the pictures I've seen, Bending Oak, you fall into that category. And oftenthe additional cost is well invested.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thank you sir.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I got this information from Lone Star College - Kingwood. Same source I used in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Average Salary $1,299. Teacher's salary $1,441
Minimum Wage $.43 per hour
So assuming Indy's salary as a college professor was at the upper end of the range: $1,441/52 = $27/week. That would have taken a pretty good dent out of his monthly budget. No wonder he kept the exact same hat he was given in 1912 well into 1957. :Plymouth:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, but there were a LOT of hat makers other than Stetson who were making nice hats at the same time that weren't charging NEARLY as much as Stetson and their ilk were charging to cover a mans head during that time period.

Those hats were usually reserved for town or Sunday-go-to-meeting affairs, and not so much for daily wear. Maybe in the big city, but not in small town USA.

Companies like Sears and Roebuck and JCPenney sold felt hats that filled the daily working man's needs for just a couple dollars through catalog sales. There were many companies located in small towns that were cranking out hats for local clientelle too that didn't even show up on radar in large cities that bought and sold the higher end brands of Stetson and Dobbs.

For example, my Dad always wore a standard brown JCPenny 'Marathon' model fedora that looked exactly like the 'Penman' that is made by John Penman. Everytime I see one of those hats by John, it reminds me of my late father.
I mean, for all intents and purposes, looking at these photos, John stole my Dad's hat to shoot these pictures! :shock:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 449&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dad's church/offical 'clean-up' hat was also from Penney's, but was just marked as a 'Penney's model, so I honestly don't know who actually made it for the company, and was ONLY worn for those specific reasons.

Just a thought there.....

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Oh, not doubt there were many quality day-to-day hats being sold at much lower price points. Just like in the jacket thread I referenced, I'm sure there were jackets being sold for 2-3x what were listed in the ads posted.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not so sure on the jackets, Jeff. Leather jackets were considered 'work' clothes and priced accordingly....not dress items. Their advertisements were aimed toward the man working in industry and out on the farm, and I'm specifically talking about pre WW2.

In comparison, Carhart jackets and related work clothing have filled the void that leather jackets left after the war. You never see Carhart jackets advertised in higher end clothing stores....but back in the sporting goods and work clothes, and they serve exactly the same needs as the leather jacket did pre-war.

After the war, all bets were off. Leather jackets were everywhere, though still more in the daily use work mode....but they started making inroads with the Hollywood crowd, and after that, everywhere as daily wear by folks emulating their favorite Hollywood actor (sound familiar?(grins)......but we're leaving the rails here...... ;)

Hats were pretty much required daily wear for any man who walked outside their house....and some wore them year round, like the kids do their ballcaps today. As a matter of fact, I've read more than one old police report in past reading where any unknown man seen in an area 'hatless' was considered a suspecious character and one to be watched. How times have changed. :-k

Anyway...... :[

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Who says Indy was making average money. He could be on the higher end.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True, but if his college was like any OTHER college with an archaeology department, they were/are ALWAYS on the short end of the proverbial stick when it comes to funding.

Archaeology is a sub-department of most Anthropology departments, and all degrees confired by a college and/or university are from and in the form of an an anthropology degree, with concentration in archaeology. Most anthropology departments don't even like to admit they have an archaologist on the staff. :lol:

All this to say, I doubt he was getting much money, even if he were high in the department. They never do, and STILL don't. :?

Speaking from personal experience from having my eldest daughter going through the trails and tribulations of getting HER archaeology degree.

Regards !Michaelson
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, Indy was getting all those bonuses for recovery of rare antiquities...

As an aside, I've seen references to the Penney's house brand being made by Lee on The Fedora Lounge. There's one for sale right now: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... -Size-7%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nice! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Michaelson wrote:True, but if his college was like any OTHER college with an archaeology department, they were/are ALWAYS on the short end of the proverbial stick when it comes to funding.

Archaeology is a sub-department of most Anthropology departments, and all degrees confired by a college and/or university are from and in the form of an an anthropology degree, with concentration in archaeology. Most anthropology departments don't even like to admit they have an archaologist on the staff. :lol:

All this to say, I doubt he was getting much money, even if he were high in the department. They never do, and STILL don't. :?

Speaking from personal experience from having my eldest daughter going through the trails and tribulations of getting HER archaeology degree.

Regards !Michaelson
Not to mention if it was an older-style archaeology program that was part of a Classics/Religious Studies Dept., which by comparison might make the funding of the Anthropology Dept. look like the star football team's funding... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ironically enough, NS, my daughters second degree will be in Religious Studies, so she's two for two in funding and prestige! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

Hats were indeed daily, even mandatory, wear probably since someone first thought of using a large leaf for a cover. The sun is a killer. It's only been about fifty or so years since they they were left behind. As an old Penny's catalog can illustrate, the shift from the classic wider brim hat to the midget fedoras that emerged during the later fifties (and can be seen on Madmen) is downright tragic.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Did they have skin cancer back then like they :-k
do now?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, they did. It was just considered 'normal' for those working outside and not talked about like it is now.

My folks on my Mom's side owned and operated a tobacco farm in North Carolina, as well as raised corn. Several experienced skin cancer, but usually on their arms and necks, as they always wore hats.

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I know it must have happened but I think we are a lot better off wearing a hat with a brim.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Absolutely! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson