Advice on these whips....

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indiana-Jones-S ... 031wt_1037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how close is this to indy?
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Advice on these whips....

Post by tomek9210 »

Don't buy it, it looks bad, has bad construction and cracks bad. gather some more money and get better whip. If your budget is under 150 $, you can get quality nylon bullwhip or Todd's Costumes whip.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

There's some discussion about the whips made by this whipmaker over here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51520

If you do a search for "jrzjoe" in the Bullwhip section, you'll find a lot of other threads about him and his work, too.

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Definitely don't buy it. Even if you're wanting a display piece, it's not very SA. If you're wanting just a display piece, Todd's would

probably be your best bet.
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

I agree with everyone else. Pass it up.
purewhips
Vendor

Post by purewhips »

That dang JRZ @#$% joe freaking whips ****! He floods eBay with garbage.

Gus Caicedo Jr
Purewhips.com
Sent from my iPhone
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

May i also suggest contacting anyone of the very talanted whip experts/makers from this forum. They can advise you on anything you need to know :TOH:
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

Not Close at all!!!!!
ag04
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ag04 »

Sorry to revive a few week old post, but I can't agree more with the sentiments of the preceding users. I've sorta been wanting to say something about these whips for a while, as they bug me every time I see them on ebay, especially being a whip-maker myself (perhaps this promotes snobbery).

The strands look rough, too thick, it doesn't taper fine enough, and frankly, it looks like it was never rolled. I don't know why someone would go through the trouble to make so many whips, but not refine their techniques or use the appropriate materials, just seems like wasted work to me. Spend the money on a great whip, you won't regret it! :TOH:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

ag04 wrote:Sorry to revive a few week old post, but I can't agree more with the sentiments of the preceding users. I've sorta been wanting to say something about these whips for a while, as they bug me every time I see them on ebay, especially being a whip-maker myself (perhaps this promotes snobbery).

The strands look rough, too thick, it doesn't taper fine enough, and frankly, it looks like it was never rolled. I don't know why someone would go through the trouble to make so many whips, but not refine their techniques or use the appropriate materials, just seems like wasted work to me. Spend the money on a great whip, you won't regret it! :TOH:
It's because the majority of people who buys whips on ebay don't know a good whip from a bad one, and making a cheap one really

quickly makes them more money, because of uninformed buyers, than it would selling a few good whips. They're only in it for the

money.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Well there will always be thieves and liars and people trying to take advantage of honest and slightly naive or uninformed buyers. Such is life. Unfortunately, this guy, and those of his ilk, give a bad name to whipmakers who are good and who do make quality whips with all the care and minutia possible. I am happy when someone asks about him before they buy, this means they are taking steps to inform themselves by asking those who are likely in the know. This is good shopping sense and should be encouraged. What I find sad, are those who buy without doing any research before. I just don't get it; it takes a lot of effort to make the kind of money required to buy a whip and it seems only natural to take a little bit of time to make sure the person you are considering buying from is actually good at what they do. I guess it's the result of our instant-gratification society, where we want what we want and we want it NOW! In the end there is nothing that can be done about that; people are either the type to learn from their mistakes or they aren't. Some will figure it out, while others sadly, never will.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

You're at a restaurant the waiter comes to take your order. You say "I'd like the burger.... where is?" :lol: A play on "I want it and

I want it NOW" :lol:

It's quite confusing to me as well, even fairly cheap whips can get pricey, I don't see why people don't research... I guess they

deserve it then!
ag04
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ag04 »

Haha, yes, it's unfortunate. Fortunately, life's best lessons are learned through experience, some of us just learn faster than others :D