Indy's classroom three piece suit question?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Indy's classroom three piece suit question?

Post by jones the whip »

Hello folks,
I've read much on these threads about Indy's classroom suit, particularly regarding Magnoli's beautiful reproduction, but my question is ~ does anyone actually know precisely what this material was?

I've been considering having a suit made from Harris Tweed in "Nut Brown" Herringbone. This appears to me to be very close and most likely the same as Henry Snr's in LC.

This posting is not intended to begin a debate, I simply wondered if it had been confimed exactly which cloth was used for the classroom suit.

Cheers,
JTW.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Indy's classroom three piece suit question?

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Brown tweed certainly, exactly what weave, it's hard to say, but I'm guessing it'd be more of a pinpoint/birdseye type weave than a herringbone. But a herringbone like you posted would certainly capture the style of the suit perfectly!

Kind regards,
Magnoli
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

Many thanks Magnoli,
I tend to agree with you. The classroom tweed is unlike Henry Snr's and at close scrutiny does not appear to have a herringbone pattern, but finding the perfect shade and pattern for this suit is a nightmare. It's so frustrating when so much detail is known of other costume items. :x

Here is another cloth that I was looking at from Harris Tweed:

(Harris Tweed Barley Twist SP11)

At first glance there appears to be mainly greens, but stand up, turn around and walk to the other side of the room, then look back at your screen. You'll be surprized.

I've asked HT to send me swatches of both, it'll be interesting to see what they're like in "real life". Chances are I will probably stick to the brown herringbone, as you say, it has the feel for the suit.

Cheers
JTW.
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

The Harris Tweed samples I choose arrived but they were no good, they looked absolutely nothing like their website images and were far to heavy for Indy's suit.

This sample has just arrived from "Bookster", It's the Brown Fleck Donegal Tweed and I really like it. This medium weight cloth is far more appropriate for the kind of suit we're talking about.

I might go ahead with this one...... :tup:

Cheers,
JTW. :-k
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Wow... that's a really nice tweed. The little flecks of color are very period as well!

-Magnoli
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I had Magnoli make one of these for me in a tweed that I let him choose for me. I had asked for the fabric that matched the pics of Steerpike's suit which is displayed on the site, but it was no longer available. He chose the next closest thing and it turned out awesome. It's my favorite one of two I own from him. The tweed has sort of a slate blue woven into the brown so it gives it a dull, grayish brown tone to it which is kind of what you might see on screen. I will try to remember which fabric it was and post the code for it if you're interested.

jlhampton
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

The fabric we used on your suit last year was a 10oz 100% pure Harris tweed in a Dark Taupe basket weave:

jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Yup, that was the one. This is a very nice 2nd best fabric. From a very short distance, it really looks the part. Now close up, it is, in Magnoli's own words, a very bold pattern, but I have gotten nothing but positive comments on it.

jlhampton
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Any photos of you in the suit?
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Indy M.,
You know, of all the opportunities I've had to get some pics, I never did. I'm not one to have many pictures taken of myself, but I will try in the near future. I really hate "forced" photography and I think that all of the gear and suits should be captured with the appropriate background. I'd really like to get some pics in a setting similar to how Steerpike shot his for your site. Those were some classic photos.

jlhampton