How to get the taper out of my Henry?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

How to get the taper out of my Henry?

Post by lovemyfedora »

So, this has been bothering me for quite some time. I finally decided to address the issue that has been nagging me.

While I LOVE my Henry, it has a slight taper (more so on the left side of the crown) that I would really like to get rid of. It is a slight taper, but I would really love a more stove pipe look. So to all you experts out there, is there a good way to get rid of the taper and achieve that stove pipe look with a Henry?

Would I need to reblock it? And if so, where should I turn? Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks for your advice guys.
Last edited by lovemyfedora on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: How to get the taper out of my Henry?

Post by jlee562 »

Wouldn't really bother me, but to each his own. Yes, re-block is the way to go. If John Penman is accepting re-blocks, he of course has a nice set of Indy blocks.
lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

Fabulous! I actually got my Henry from John. I was fortunate enough to get to come down to his shop and meet him in person. I will reach out to him and see if his is up for it. Thanks!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Can you post a side view. I'm thinking that the top of your side creases are to high.
lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

So, I used the tea kettle in my hotel room here in Prague and did a little steaming. As advised I made the center bash a bit deeper and tried to flatten the sides of the crown to give the appearance of less taper. I think it looks good, but it has that just steamed stiff feel. This is the first time I steamed my henry and I hated to do it. Do you all think reblocking would give it this shape without the need for steam?

I still love my henry and should probably just love it the way it is... Still like many of you, I have a disease. I want a Raiders hat. :)

John, is that a service you are still up for providing? If so, would love to PM on the details. Thanks all!

Last edited by lovemyfedora on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Looks to me like if you bring down the front pinch by just a bit it should take care of some of the problem you are having.

For instance, this is a side view of my Penman Raiders:

lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

Hmmmmm... Interesting. I notice the angle of your pinch line is much steeper than mine. Is that what you are referring to?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I recommend popping the bash out, and then reforming it, this time starting from the top dent. Make sure you bring the front pinch just a tad lower than it currently is. Try to get the the crown height closer to what you see on my hat. Then put in the front pinch and side bashes. I think you have just too much height and that is your problem.
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

The arc of your crown from front to back looks too high. The center has a high peak (looking at side view). If I'm correct, I think the back should only be SLIGHTLY lower than the front center crease. :-k

I also notice jnicktem's bow-side dent is at a sharper 45 degree angle and peaks right around the center knot of his bow. Yours seems to have less of an angle and peaks just before the center knot.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I think what John meant was lowering the side dent corners, this might help the hat widen out again at the top. Here's what I mean.
lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

All great advice guys. Thanks! So I did the best I could here in my hotel room and got it to the point where I need to stop. I think I am on the right track, but still something just isnt working. I may go the reblock route when I get back to the States. This hat hasnt exactly been babied so maybe it would be a good idea anyway.

Here is where I am at. I was able to the arc a bit lower and the side dent corners back just a bit farther.

But, now the front view just looks funky.

jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I think it looks a lot better! Although on the side view I did notice near the top center where the side dent meets the top of the crown; there is still a little bit of an arc forming in the felt. If you could smooth that out a bit it should help.
lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

Okay, I got that out. But my only concern is that my top bash is becoming rounder and rounder. I guess I always thought it was supposed to be more of a thin wedge. Which would explain why my crown was so tall and tapered. My center bash wasnt deep enough or wide enough.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Do you have a pic showing the top dent?
lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

Yup. here you go.

It is pretty wide and round. Only way I could get the stove pipe shape you guys have been helping me find.

Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

:-k
Last edited by Sammy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I believe the center-dent has become too wide and deep. While it does help the sides stay straiter, you can also get a similar affect with even less of a dent. Start back at the beginning with the center dent, then work backwards (less dent) and see how that goes. JMO, I went through the same thing with taper in my Fed IV and it was mostly because my front pinches weren't deep enough but my center dent on top was too deep. Hopefully that helps and doesn't make things worse. :D

Just remember, do what makes you happy, not what you think will look the most like it's from raiders.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Can't you leave the side dents as they are and push up the center dent into more valley like shape?
Incidently, this has got me rebashing my own Henry into a more deliberate Raiders shape. Pics soon.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Image :CR:

Hold still...we'll get the taper out for you......

;)
lovemyfedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lovemyfedora »

LOL! That might just work! Steady... Steady... Steaddddddddddyyyyyy... lol
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We're here to help..... O:)

:-
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

I had a problem with a Fed that had tapered abit. I took the liner out and steamed the hat and put a hat stretcher in and tensioned it. A bit more steam and a bit more tension. The result has been great. Got rid of the taper and it has a good boxy profile.

cheers

stones
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

That hat has a teardrop top, not a center dent. A teardrop will push the sides out and make them straighter up, but Indy's hat has a center dent.

Definitely start over by wetting or steaming the hat and pushing it out. Then after it dries, push in a shallow center dent, and follow what has been posted above. If the hat has shrunk past the point of what you like, you'll probably need a reblock. And if you're the industrious type, buy a block and do it yourself. I reblock my own hats and find it a very enjoyable experience for a number of reasons: I like doing things myself because it gives me great satisfaction, and blocking and rebuilding hats is sort of a lost art, in that very few men today wear fedoras to begin with, so there are less people in the industry than half a century or more ago that know how it is done.