The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues.

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Busy week, so this will be short, but I got my Sahara Penman-style Penman today and HOLY COW it's bee-yoo-tee-ful.

I do plan to try to actually get pics of my wearing my hats sometime soon...
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That is a truly lovely thing.
The color and shape of this hat... The bow work...
:notworthy:

Congrats on getting this prize, P&S!
:TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Wow! I love the bow! What colours are the ribbons?
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

jnicktem wrote:Wow! I love the bow! What colours are the ribbons?
Um, brown with a tannish color that matches the sahara? I'm not sure, John would have to chime in on that. I originally asked for something a little different but told John to change it if he came up with something better, since I have no idea what kinds of ribbons he has on hand. Anyway, I love the result.

I even love the beige liner, which I was a little iffy about, because I guess I was afraid it would be more of a yellow color than it actually is. But, it compliments the felt perfectly. :tup:
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:Busy week, so this will be short, but I got my Sahara Penman-style Penman today and HOLY COW it's bee-yoo-tee-ful.

Beautiful, pal. I have a hat almost exactly like it, and I'm still envious!

DHW
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Thought you guys would like this pic, digitally altered by my pal on his i-Phone 4GS.

It's my Penman "Raiders Seaplane/CS Travel hat" by the way

DHW
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

All right, so I finally have some pics of me actually wearing my dang hats. Now, I was just playing around with a new camera remote, and a new backdrop, etc etc, so these don't look super great (and feel free to ignore the many, many wrinkles in the backdrop :P ). But, y'all can at least get an idea of what these loverly hats look like.

Green & black Raiders:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... iders1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... iders2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... iders3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... iders4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Screen-color Temple of Doom:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sahara Penman:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ahara1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ahara2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ahara3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ahara4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ahara5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

In a word. NICE. :TOH:

Man, 1st the Leverage hat John did, and not to forget the same color felt for the hat used in Public enemys.... and now the sahrah, love this color, I have so many brown fedoras that I'm itchin for a nother color I can wear on a daily bases. My CS travel is my "nice" hat, for goin out. Still wear it now and then to keep in the rotaion, but if I could get my hands on a sahara fedora with Johns expert hand on the ribbon............................ oh honey. :-

Croft :mrgreen:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Wow!
VERY nice photos showing a lovely variety of beautiful - and distinctive - Penmans.
Thanks very much for giving us a good look at these!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I thought I'd throw up some now that the "sheen" has come off somewhat (Of course, the "sheen" hasn't, but this hat could be dragged through the Thames and STILL come up shining..So that's useless anyway)..

These are from a day filming a movie with friends here in Tokyo...Rather a random day out all in all it was...But good fun, and the Penman stole the show...

Well..I mean...I love her...But she attracted several envious glances and someone had the cheek to compare it to a Borsalino..Which made me sit down and run through the several hundred ways that Penman kicked Borsalino's (distinguished, but faded) arse...

And just to get a "rough" idea of how weird the movie will end up being... Here's another... Weird innit?

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Excellent shots, fifthchamber!
:)

That one with the hat on has immediately become one of my favorites of you... You should give serious consideration to making it your avatar sometime.
Cheers, mate.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Mitch, I worked on your hat today a little.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Mitch is getting ANOTHER hat?!?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Nick...

Coming from you? ;) ;) :TOH:

I'm jealous of both of you....

Once these taxes are paid off, I'll be getting back to you John..
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

BendingOak wrote:Mitch, I worked on your hat today a little.
That's GREAT, John... Thank you for the update.
:) :tup:

jnicktem wrote:Mitch is getting ANOTHER hat?!?
As strange as it may seem, Nick... I don't actually own a Brown Penman Raiders in Beaver.
That horrible absence in my collection will soon be corrected.
:D
patchcamel
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by patchcamel »

Here is my Penman Raiders that I got for Christmas. I have been meaning to post this pic and just got around to it. I can't wait to place another order with John! Congratulations on your new pending Penman, Mitch! :TOH:

DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

patchcamel wrote:Here is my Penman Raiders that I got for Christmas. I have been meaning to post this pic and just got around to it. I can't wait to place another order with John! Congratulations on your new pending Penman, Mitch! :TOH:

Great pic! And an even greater hat!

Lookin' good!

DHW
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

My Penman Brown Raiders Beaver Fedora arrived at my door just prior to last weekend (safe and sound, John... thank you) :)

It's been a busy 8 or 9 days and I'm sorry to say that I didn't have an earlier opportunity to get some photos taken and share them here with all of you... but earlier today I was finally completing a Mystery of the Blues set of photos (that I'd been working towards getting finished for some time now) and I used the opportunity to make sure I had a few photos taken with my new hat from Mr. Penman.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone who frequents this Thread when I say that John's work is absolute perfection.

Thank you, as always, for such a wonderfully fitting, expertly made fedora, John...
I've said it before and I'll say it again: You're a true Artist.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks spectacular, Mitch. :TOH:
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Looks good Mitch. :)
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

My word! :o You know, Mitch, I've always thought VERY highly of your gear, your "Indy-tude", your supreme "nice-guy-ness". And though this is supposed to be a thread about John's work, he ALWAYS does a good job, so it goes without saying that the hat looks amazing, especially on YOU. And while I know you're going to lay on us a new thread devoted to your recent MOTB shoot, wherein I will undoubtedly lay on you some very high praise, I'm going to take this moment to say, flat out, how honestly JEALOUS I am of YOUR FACE. You've TOTALLY NAILED the hair and beard (and the gear, but we all knew that). This is my final piece of proof that YOU ARE HARRISON FORD, and that Fox Lidstone is a much older gentleman, married to Calista Flockhart, about to star in Ender's Game, or so I've read, etc. :?

One of my favorite jokes about our hobby is the gearhead who says, upon the completion of his outfit, "Everything is screen accurate now except my face." :P Well, you've got that covered. This is an AMAZING photo. I can't wait to see the rest of pics so that I can then be even more impressed, hatch an absurd plan to grow out my hair and beard, dye them just right, borrow my dad's 1956 Ford Pickup, drive it to my sister's house in South Lake Tahoe, hire an elderly Native American man, get a soprano saxophone . . . I . . . I think you know where I'm going with this. :|

Rick McCallum? George Lucas? Can I borrow you guys for a couple of days? I've got to a little favor to ask . . . :[

Daren Henry W
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks very much fellas for the kind words... Glad you like the hat. :D John's never been more at the top of his game and I'm once again a proud owner of his craft.

Daren, thank you, my friend, for such flattering words.
:oops:
I don't think I've ever personally felt so complimented by a reaction to what I've attempted to accomplish by getting some photos taken with my Gear and saluting Indy.
Thanks very, very much!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

You are quite welcome, Mitch! You deserve it. I mean, the lord blessed you with a mug that resembles Ford's probably the closest of any of us here, and so I suppose that makes you lucky, but major kudos for totally selling it and going the extra mile. Really, you look fantastic. Can't wait for the rest. :TOH:

And, John, brilliant work as always. ;)

Humbled,
Daren Henry W
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

DarenHenryW wrote:Image

My word! :o You know, Mitch, I've always thought VERY highly of your gear, your "Indy-tude", your supreme "nice-guy-ness". And though this is supposed to be a thread about John's work, he ALWAYS does a good job, so it goes without saying that the hat looks amazing, especially on YOU. And while I know you're going to lay on us a new thread devoted to your recent MOTB shoot, wherein I will undoubtedly lay on you some very high praise, I'm going to take this moment to say, flat out, how honestly JEALOUS I am of YOUR FACE. You've TOTALLY NAILED the hair and beard (and the gear, but we all knew that). This is my final piece of proof that YOU ARE HARRISON FORD, and that Fox Lidstone is a much older gentleman, married to Calista Flockhart, about to star in Ender's Game, or so I've read, etc. :?

One of my favorite jokes about our hobby is the gearhead who says, upon the completion of his outfit, "Everything is screen accurate now except my face." :P Well, you've got that covered. This is an AMAZING photo.
Absolutely I have to quote ALL these post! AMAZING, incredible and inspiring photo, Mitch! You're the example to follow for every Indy gear guy!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Very kind of you to say that, steerpike... Thank you, friend.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:Busy week, so this will be short, but I got my Sahara Penman-style Penman today and HOLY COW it's bee-yoo-tee-ful.

Very nice! I love that sahara color. This hat reminds me a lot of the hat John made for my wedding a few years back.

Dave
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

PsychicsAndSwords: That is a beautiful fedora. Penman does really nice work. (Unfortunately I have not seen his work up close, but I hope one day to remedy that...) :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Mitch- I hate you for how well you can pull of the Indy look! Better than pretty much anyone here... and that's saying a lot! While I am at it, I would just like to say that not only am I jealous of how well you pull off the look, but that TN LC as well!!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Is that hat based on the Marlow or, as you state, the 'Penman'? The front of the crown seems to have the height of the Marlow in that view. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mitch - beautiful hat! Kind of makes me want to get a Raiders in regular ol' brown...
Michaelson wrote: Is that hat based on the Marlow or, as you state, the 'Penman'? The front of the crown seems to have the height of the Marlow in that view. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
I ordered a Penman and like what I got, that's about all I can tell you. :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Very good. Thanks! :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Both "the Penman" and "the Marlo" have the same crown height. I think it's just the angle of the photo.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks, John. :TOH:

I'm really liking the look of the Penman over the Marlow now.

The one shown on your website looks EXACTLY like my Dad's old J. C. Penny 'Marathon' he wore for years.

Regards! Michaelson
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

Seriously cool Mitch :notworthy:
DarenHenryW wrote:Image

One of my favorite jokes about our hobby is the gearhead who says, upon the completion of his outfit, "Everything is screen accurate now except my face." :P Well, you've got that covered. This is an AMAZING photo. I can't wait to see the rest of pics so that I can then be even more impressed, hatch an absurd plan to grow out my hair and beard, dye them just right, borrow my dad's 1956 Ford Pickup, drive it to my sister's house in South Lake Tahoe, hire an elderly Native American man, get a soprano saxophone . . . I . . . I think you know where I'm going with this. :|

Rick McCallum? George Lucas? Can I borrow you guys for a couple of days? I've got to a little favor to ask . . . :[

Daren Henry W
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I don't think I can compete with Mitch here, but perhaps my wife can!

Sarah in my moss green "Penman"

DHW
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

The picture isn't showing (at least for me) yet... But I already GIVE UP! ;)
I appreciate the compliment, but I'm NO MATCH for your wife!
I give! I give!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Mitch LaRue wrote:The picture isn't showing (at least for me) yet... But I already GIVE UP! ;)
I appreciate the compliment, but I'm NO MATCH for your wife!
I give! I give!

Ha ha! Thanks, Mitch! And sorry I had to resort to cheating! :P

Anyone else having problem seeing the pic? It looks like it's working fine to me. :-k

DHW
Last edited by DarenHenryW on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

There are some sturdy looking adventurers in these photos. You all look great!
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

My trusty Penman Rabbit Raiders a little under 2 years old. I put it on almost every day and it is the Raiders hat of my dreams :notworthy: Bulldog tested, and bulldog approved :TOH: Keep up the stellar work, John!!! I see one in beaver on my horizon :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Your bully is beautiful.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

BendingOak wrote:Your bully is beautiful.

:o
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Seeing all of these awesome fedoras is making it very difficult for me to wait for my penman rabbit raiders. Awesome work John. Can't wait to see my hat.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Well on Feb 24th I placed an order for a Crystal Skull Penman Beaver, and a few days go I received the paper measurement... Now here comes what I'm sure is the toughest part: The Wait. =P~

Quick question: Does the wait time start when you order the Fedora, or when you confirm the measurement?

Thanks,
Shade 88.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

shade88 wrote:Well on Feb 24th I placed an order for a Crystal Skull Penman Beaver, and a few days go I received the paper measurement... Now here comes what I'm sure is the toughest part: The Wait. =P~

Quick question: Does the wait time start when you order the Fedora, or when you confirm the measurement?

Thanks,
Shade 88.
Hey Shade, I am in the same boat as you! Just received my paper crown measurement yesterday!
Really looking forward to my first Penman hat - I went for the Beaver "Raiders" :)

Regards
Joe
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Time starts as soon as the order is submitted. Remember guys and dolls, it's a estimated time. Another note. When I send a e mail asking for the payment in full and I ask a month before. That should give you ( the customer) plenty of time to get payment to me.as not to add any wait time to your order.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Ok, Thanks BendingOak. lol, just wanted to make sure. :-

So will the wait give me what DR Ulloa calls Penman Fever? Hey... Why is Shia grabbing the CS fedora at the end of Indy IV! THAT'S MY HAT!!! :twisted: :twisted: :rolling:... Sorry about that, lol. :[

@Joe: Isn't it awesome? To know that your hat is in the plans? I like it, that's for sure. :mrgreen:
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

Not an Indy hat, but it is a Penman.
My recently arrived Casablanca. For you folks waiting patiently for John, I can assure you it is well worth the wait!

DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

david_h wrote:Not an Indy hat, but it is a Penman.
My recently arrived Casablanca. For you folks waiting patiently for John, I can assure you it is well worth the wait!

Well let me be the first: David H, NICE lookin' lid, and GREAT PHOTO! Kudos! :lol:

I, too, am back in the waiting pool (not the wading pool). Two more hats on order . . . One should be on the block in about 3-4 months, and the other one soon after. As usual, I can't wait . . .

DHW :TOH:
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

David H: Love the hat, looks great. :TOH:

DHW: Which hats do you have on order? I am curious. 8-[]
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

SMART look, david_h ...
My compliments on your excellent taste in hats.