My first bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

My first bullwhip

Post by Misa »

This is my very first 12 strand bullwhip. It is made from cowhide. Handle is 21 cm in length over all. Wrist loop is 16 cm long, 6 strand flat. Butt handle is double 6 part 7 bite and it is long 5 cm. Handle itself is in chessboard pattern and it is 13 cm long. Thong is in cow tail pattern, start 12, 10 and finish whit 8 strands. Fall is 45 cm long, and popper is 40 cm long. Plaited length of whip is about 250 cm, or little longer then 8 feet, and length over all is 345 cm. Last night i trying to crack it and it is very fluid and it is very, very loud. This kind of leather is not best choice, but it was only available to me, and and in these circumstances i am very satisfied. I would be grateful for all the positive and negative comments...

regards to everyone World Wide Whip makers...

trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My first bullwhip

Post by trdaggers »

If it cracks easily then you got a winner! :)

Gailen
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Looks good! It tapers quite well :tup:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I just enlarged the picture. That's a really well made whip.

Gailen
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Thanks a lot, I appreciate all suggestions. I have some problem whit butt handle knot, it is not easy to calculate width of strands and i have a little gaps in it. Also flash side of mu leather is not compact enough and when i cut strands edges become fluffy. But all in all, i am satisfied for the first time...
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

One suggestion, I would say that the point of the whip needs to be a bit thinner. Aim for between 6 and 7mm diameter. I've made a

whip with a point up to 8.5mm, and it cracked very well, but I still aim for between 6 and 7mm on the point, because it seems to

work even better.

As for as the knot strand width, I've heard several people tell way's of how to calculate strand width, but none of them have ever

worked for me. I just look at the knot foundation, imagine the knot I want to tie on it in my mind, and then I can see how wide

the strand will need to be. It will have to be a learning experience, and keep with the bigger knots for now, for instance the

6x7 2 pass and the 5x4 3 pass / 2 pass, because there is more room for error in them, and the strands overlapping some isn't

uncommon with these. When you tie an intricate knot like a 10 bight pineapple knot, if the strand is just barely too big or just

barely too small, when it's multipled 10 times, by 2 ( 10 bites, and 2 passes ) you either get lots of bunching up for lots of

gaps.

Keep at it though! You're doing really well. I know you've mentioned you have a hard time getting a hold of decent leather where

you are, so you might want to considering saving up and buying some good cowhide or kip, or even if you're able to, kangaroo.

It's definitely worth it in the end, but I completely understand not being able to afford it. That's what kept me from leather as

long as I did, because of the pricing.
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

riku1914 thanks for all your suggestions, you spent the time to tell me what you think and I appreciate it. I will try to go on and apply your advice. I have to say that my greatest support was bernie46 and his ytube whip making videos. When I create something new I will send pictures, and again, it is great privilege to be member of this forum... :TOH: :TOH: :TOH:
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

p.s. i just measure plaited tip of whip, you have good eye. Diameter is 8,5 mm, as you say...
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Wow I'm actually a little surprised I got it right :lol:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Misa,

Very good job!
You are well on your way to making some very fine whips. :TOH:
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Misa, the shape of the whip is very well made. I just saw some problem with strand width, but that's aesthetic and in my opinion can be worked out pretty fast. The taper of the whip is more important and problematic, but I think you did it right.

When getting a thick point, you can make a longer fall to compensate. Thinner points require shorter falls.

The problem with the fluffy flesh side comes perhaps from cutting strands from the area near the belly. Try to use that part for fillers as you would with kangaroo. Leave the best, firmer hide for the overlay.

As Jeremy pointed out, it would be good when you can, to switch to kangaroo. Make a cowhide whip the way it can be made best (thicker hide, wider strands, lower plait count, thicker point, less tensile strength, etc.). Don't try to force cowhide to behave like kangaroo. In my opinion, any material is valid, as long as you understand how it behaves and its limitations, and make the best whip out of it.

Aldo.
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Aldo, thanks for your opinion about length of fall, i did not know about that, and i will fix that problem. About fluffiness of hide, i did every thing you say, but still have same problem. It is hide, and it must be changed for something different. I use best part of hide for overlay. Thanks again for advice...
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Is this veg. tanned tooling hide?
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

well, when you say that, it's sound like it is, but i do not now. I have little problem whit terminology. You, guys on forum, always use that terminology for different hide types, but in my language, there is no names for a lot different types of hide. I try to find some people from leather industry, here in my town, and ask them to explain to me what is Name for What. This specific hide is used for protective gloves, skirts etc... and i suppose it is veg. tanned tooling hide, you mention... :-k :-k :-k
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Misa wrote:well, when you say that, it's sound like it is, but i do not now. I have little problem whit terminology. You, guys on forum, always use that terminology for different hide types, but in my language, there is no names for a lot different types of hide. I try to find some people from leather industry, here in my town, and ask them to explain to me what is Name for What. This specific hide is used for protective gloves, skirts etc... and i suppose it is veg. tanned tooling hide, you mention... :-k :-k :-k
Leather used for those products is usually chrome-tanned cowhide, dyed to resemble buckskin (deerskin tanned with the brains of the animal and then smoked). It can be cowhide or split cowhide. Cowhide has the grain and flesh side left intact. That is, a smooth, rubbery side and a velvety side. Whilst split leather has the grain removed and resembles suede (velvety on both sides). It is an artificial tannage (it has a strong unnatural smell). I don't know if this is the case. Just because of the color, I'd tend to think it is chrome-tanned cowhide.

Chrome tanned cowhide is not the best for whipmaking, although it may work. My primary concern is smell, stretch (it streches A LOT), look and resistance.

Veg tanned hides are a bit stiffer, like cardboard (just a bit stiffer than chrome-tanned). They have less stretch than the previous one. Can't think of a good example of a common thing made with veg tan. Some belts, shoes... :-k

Aldo.