under 150$ ?? which one would you buy ?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

DannyinTexas
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

under 150$ ?? which one would you buy ?

Post by DannyinTexas »

I wear hats often, not for costume, just for normal use.
So, I'm not looking for the most screen-accurate hat ever made, but I would like it to be fur and not wool.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: under 150$ ?? which one would you buy ?

Post by Hollowpond »

In that price range I would go with the Federation. But if you really are a hat wearer and this is going to get serious use I would scrimp just a tensy bit more and get a Garrison in Rabbit! (sorry, I know I didn't stick to your guidelines :CR: )
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

For a durable hat under $150, I'd go for the Akubra Federation IV at HatsDirect.com, which right now is around $120:
http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

Or perhaps that slightly more expensive ($140) Akubra Adventurer from David Morgan (although probably not quite as screen-accurate as the Federation, but nonetheless probably a solid-built hat):
http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info ... ts_id=1128

Both are fur-felt, a combination of rabbit fur and wild Australian hare fur. I have an earlier model of the Federation, which was quite a sturdy factory hat. About $50 more than your price range could get you a custom-made rabbit fur felt fedora...but since you mentioned a $150 price limit, I won't mention those here. ;)

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

P.S. Looks like Hollowpond just beat me (and he mentioned the custom hat to which I was alluding). ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:TOH:
Yeah, but you say it so much purty-er...

:lol:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Todd's new Raider looks like it could be contender. It looks good from his video.
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

I can't speak to the Garrison or Todd hat mentioned. I can tell you I am a firm believer in the Akubra. I do not own a Fed IV. My Fed was made several years prior to that. I have a lot of hats and my Fed has been through more than any of them. By my count it has about 4 million miles on it, if you count air miles.

It has been my primary hunting hat for many years now. It has accompanied me from southern Africa to the the Arctic Circle and points in between. In that time I have worn it in monsoon type rain, snow storms, dust storms, jungles, rain forests, heat and cold. No I never had any Indy type nutty trials, but trials none the less. The only wear on the hat has been a small spot along the brim edge where the fur is rubbed raw. It had also developed a sweat stain on the ribbon. However I was caught out in a real drencher just last week. To my surprise when the hat dried out the stains were all gone. Dang thing still looks new. Heck even the sweat band is still in good shape.

I will add though that I have cleaned this hat over the years. I know some like to 'age' their hat. I have never been big on filthy hats. I wear it often with khakis or jeans and to work. In the last year I went back to an office job inside the 'beltway'. I wear this hat to work, at times with dress shirt and tie. In fact I wore it today with sport coat and trench coat. I always thought I should buy a stock pile of them for when they wore out, but never have.

I only have two other hats with intense wear, a stetson that has been my hat for cowboy and mounted shooting. Being trampled a few times by hooves has taken its toll on that hat. The other hat that is my favorite, second only to the Fed, is an Akubra Snowy River. It has taken a huge beating itself and still looks no worse for wear. There are better finished hats, prettier hats and and more expensive hats that are truly beauties to behold. But dang I love me some Akubras.
DannyinTexas
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DannyinTexas »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:For a durable hat under $150, I'd go for the Akubra Federation IV at HatsDirect.com, which right now is around $120:
http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

Or perhaps that slightly more expensive ($140) Akubra Adventurer from David Morgan (although probably not quite as screen-accurate as the Federation, but nonetheless probably a solid-built hat):
http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info ... ts_id=1128

Both are fur-felt, a combination of rabbit fur and wild Australian hare fur. I have an earlier model of the Federation, which was quite a sturdy factory hat. About $50 more than your price range could get you a custom-made rabbit fur felt fedora...but since you mentioned a $150 price limit, I won't mention those here. ;)

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

P.S. Looks like Hollowpond just beat me (and he mentioned the custom hat to which I was alluding). ;)
D. Morgan got my money. thanks all.
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

I have the DM Adventurer, while not screen accurate it still is an excellent hat. You should enjoy it. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True that, but an Akubra is an Akubra, so you'll be well served by your incoming hat.

Enjoy, and report back when you get it. We'll be interested in reading what you think of your new purchase!

Regars! Michaelson :M:
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

Michaelson wrote:True that, but an Akubra is an Akubra, so you'll be well served by your incoming hat.

Enjoy, and report back when you get it. We'll be interested in reading what you think of your new purchase!

Regars! Michaelson :M:

An Akubra is an Akubra. Enough said. I have just not found a better made hat for durability and cost. Now I do have several custom made hats and they are holding up well. Westerns and fedoras. Gentlemen known well to Fedora Lounge people. But, they simply don't have enough time on the road to compare, it's apples to oranges. i understand Adventurebilts are also holding up very well. But at the price they are now, I would have a hard time being hard on one just to tell how durable it is. :)
Last edited by warbird on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm hard on my AB's. They're daily wear hats. Tough as nails, and worth the money.

As you say, though, apples to oranges comparison. For the money, off the shelf Akubra's are fantastic hats.

Regards! Michaelson
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

BIG surprise 'this', I know....

but you can't go past Akubra for quality and price..
Couple 'those' qualities with excellent service from The Hattery and you have a perfect combination :)
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

True enough. The Akubra is a great hat for the price. Akubra is also faithful to proportions - most contemporary fedoras have the shorter crown and narrower brim. Madmen might favor little hats but real men like big hats.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Just to join the crowd......I have two Akubra Fed's one in Carbon grey and one in Brown. Both are incredible hats. My carbon grey is my go too hat and has seen alot of action. Still going strong.
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

AKUBRA it'll be goin' long after you ain't. True that.
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

Nobody has a bad word to say about the Akubra Federation 4. Can't recommend them enough. I sold mine a couple of years ago when I got my AB and really regret it now!

Stones
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

The moral to that story is, "Never sell a hat you love." ;)

Gailen
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

And the balance to that moral is "never own more hats than you can wear"... ;)

Sadly, that limit is still being tested by me....And I'm losing... :oops: (I believe most of us here fall into the same category...) ;)

Stupid...But I do agree, Akubra are high in the list of solid and "safe" bets for the money... :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

fifthchamber wrote:And the balance to that moral is "never own more hats than you can wear"... ;)
True that, but hard words to live by, for this crowd. I wish I had just one hat and one jacket I wore all the time, but there's always that other hat and jacket you just haven't tried yet...