Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by Oildale Jones »

In my case, yes. If my 2008 Standard wasn't too small, I might not, but since it is... If I can't find the One True Jacket, I'll settle for two almost-theres.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I'm planning to buy a Todd's Jacket and I have a question about sizing...

I'm exactly 1" bigger in terms of measurement from a SMALL according to the sizing chart (Filipinos are small guys... but I weigh 170lbs weird!). My chest size is 38" (37.5" if I really pull on the tape measure) and waist is 36" (okay, 2 inches over for small). I'm thinking that I should get a medium, since I am a few inches too big for small.

SMALL:
Chest - up to 37"
Waist - up to 34"

MEDIUM:
Chest - up to 41"
Waist - up to 38"

So, which one should I get? SMALL or MEDIUM?
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread but here's my outcome: I decided to take a refund since I became a tad gun-shy of the current run after discovering the tear. Has anyone else seen any issues with the latest run? I may still go for a new jacket, as I was very pleased with every aspect, I just don't know if I want to spend the money on it just yet.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Does anyone have actual measurements of the new Todd's jacket in a size large? Chest pit to pit and sleeve shoulder seam to cuff. I bought an XL. The length is fine but it's too large in the body for me.
ryans
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ryans »

After reading the posts here, I've finally convinced myself and placed an order for the new Todd Indy jacket. I purchased a Large from Todd two years ago and found it to be too short and tight so this time ordered an XL. The jacket arrived on Thursday. You can tell instantly the new version is a drastic improvement over the old version in terms of leather, craftmanship and screen accuracy. However the new XL was way too big on me - I was literally swimming in it. My hands simply disappeared inside the sleeves. Long story short, the jacket was carefully repacked in the box that came in it and on its way back to California. Sent an email to Todd that I'd like to have it exchanged to Large. Haven't received any reply yet but expecting to spend about 100 dollars just for shipping involved in this whole ordeal. Hope it is worth it.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Agreed. XL is really more like an XXL. I might buy a large even though it is 1 inch shorter.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

My wife ordered a jacket for me. Now I have to ask, what does "Awaiting fulfillment" mean on the order status? Did she make a mistake or something while filling up the fields?
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

"Awaiting Fulfillment" means it's waiting to ship.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Puppetboy wrote:"Awaiting Fulfillment" means it's waiting to ship.
Whew! Thanks, Todd!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here`s my Todd. It has been cloudy so I have not had the chance to take decent pics with gear but I wanted to post some pics of his new Jacket so here are acouple of teasers.....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 142837.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 142713.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 143000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 142934.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cannot understand how Todd`s gets the look so perfect and others can`t. His pattern should be the Rosetta Stone for all other makers out there. They should`nt literally copy one of his, I just don`t see how, if he can get such a perfect Raiders looking pattern, other bigger companies can`t. I think it is because he is basically 'one of us' and his eye is trained as OCD as ours mostly are.
Anyho...the pattern is spot on Raiders. That is no surprise, huh. The new leather is a bit too thick for my tastes but still buttery soft and light weight. It is very comfortable and I have found no loose threads or any type of issues at all with the structure of it. I love the pockets/side vents/straps configuration. Perfecto for me.
The only issue I personally have is that it is a bit too 'straited' or grainy for my tastes. Reminds me alot of my dino hide Nowak I use to own. I know some people like that but I am on the smooth but beaten jacket side of the fence. It is actually a little bothersome when I see all the straitions on the arms.
Over all, I think it is a great jacket especially for the price. Seems tough, is comfy, is very screen accurate, is lightweight and needs no breaking in. I ended up loving my older Todd`s standard even more than this one as it is much more lightweight and smoother with the grain slowly building. I`ve always felt everyone should have at least one Todd`s in their collection as it truly is IMO, the most screen accurate to raiders jacket that has been available to us.
Thank you Todd
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Last edited by Gorak on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks for the photos Gorak! The jacket looks great!
Nos402
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nos402 »

Great jacket Gorak, but I agree with you that the striations are way too much for my taste. I was considering getting a new Todd's (I have one of the older ones that's still awesome) but the leather looks way too patterned for me. The back definitely looks like dinosaur hide!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Whaaaaaat? I like grainy, but I don't like crispe. I hope they all don't look like that, otherwise I'll be looking for a previous model (and/or looking harder at another maker). Maybe you just got (un)lucky?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Hey, Gorak, great looking jacket. Is that a Medium? If so, can you post measurements? I'm looking for pit-to-pit, back length, storm flap length, shoulder-to-shoulder, and sleeve length. Thanks! :TOH: I might be ordering one of these.
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

I just received my jacket yesterday in a large and the back has the same pebbled look. Todd mentioned to me that I could take some rubbing alcohol and spray it on the panel in the hopes of it flattening out. Does anyone have experience with this method? Just want to ask before I do anything drastic to a really well made piece of apparel. I'm still very happy with this purchase, it's just I prefer a smoother look to the texture. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Jonathan
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Ohmygawsh!

The texture seems too much on that... I hope mine is smoother.

About the dinosaur skin comment... Yeah, it looks kinda like that.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

fenris wrote:Ohmygawsh!

The texture seems too much on that... I hope mine is smoother.

About the dinosaur skin comment... Yeah, it looks kinda like that.
I agree, with the one I had it was certainly noticeable at times. I really liked the cut and feel of the leather but wasn't 100% crazy about the pattern.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

The leather grain varies a lot. Some backs are smooth, and some are crinkly. Some guys ask us for the wrinkliest one we have, and some for the smoothest one we have. If you have a preference, let us know and we'll pick one for you.

-Todd
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Puppetboy wrote:The leather grain varies a lot. Some backs are smooth, and some are crinkly. Some guys ask us for the wrinkliest one we have, and some for the smoothest one we have. If you have a preference, let us know and we'll pick one for you.

-Todd
I hope you sent me an "in-between"... :TOH:

As for trying to smoothen out the wrinkles, how would the alcohol technique work?
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Well, I'm now a proud owner of a Todd's jacket (also shirt and bag strap)... Problem is, it's still in Connecticut with my wife and will be physically with me at the end of March.

My wife took a pic of the stuff:

I can't wait to get my hands on the stuff! Problem is, by the time it arrives it will be summer here. ](*,)

We gotta take a vacation somewhere cold for summer so I can wear it. Hahaha!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I'd love to come home to that package! Suuuuweeeeeet!
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Gorak wrote:I'd love to come home to that package! Suuuuweeeeeet!
Me too... Too bad it isn't withme right now. Imagine having to wait that long.

And on top of that, that's the only pic I have so far. My wife hasn't taken other pics. I dunno if she's torturing me or something... :-k
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I have some Indy money burning a hole in my pocket (figuratively) and I'm anxious to get a new jacket. Right now I have Internet but no email (go figure), and I'll shoot an email to Todd tomorrow, but I need to get an answer to my questions right now!!! (You know how it is.)

OK, it's not that serious. Anyway, I'm wondering how the new standard jacket compares in fit to the previous jacket (and to the Bantu Wind in particular, considering that I've never had an unaltered/unshrunk/correctly sized standard). The two BWs I had fit me perfectly (there was some variation between the two), and if the new standards are built to the same(ish) specs, I'm golden. I'd like to arrange to visit Todd's shop and try them on and hand-pick the fit and finish (it's about 125 miles one way, and ideally I'd do it on my way to my folks' house in Bakersfield), but I don't know when I'd be able to do that, and I can't decide whether to just order a jacket and include my druthers and hope for the best, or to wait. ](*,)

So...anybody?
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I'm totally catchin' what your pitching about having to know right now. I would just call Todd, that will be your best answer.

:TOH:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Well, my wife took a picture of the jacket...

Front

Back

Well, it looks like I've gotten the smooth version and not the "dino" skin leather... Hehehe.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

That looks good. That looks very, very good. ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Agreed! :D

I know it'll still be a while before it's possible... but I'm really looking forward to seeing some photos of you IN this jacket, fenris!
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Thanks!

I can't wait to actually have it in my hands... This is gonna be a looooong month.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Don't worry...I'm going to suffer with you...that jacket looks really good and I can't wait to see it on a person. Very nice!
:tup: :tup: :tup:
and kudos to Todd AGAIN! ;)
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Oh, I'm suffering alright... The wait is killing me........ Plus, the fact that it will arrive on the hottest season ever! That means I'll probably only get to wear it to fit it. :(
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Still haven't gotten my hands on my jacket. :(

Anyway... I read that this new batch is thicker than the old batch. Is the temperature difference between the two batch of jackets significant? Are the new jackets hotter to wear?
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Is the new one the same sizing as the Bantu Wind jackets ?
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well it has been about two years that i have had my todds xl standard, and the inside under the right arm is coming undoneon the seem from the pit to the lower side. should be an easy fix , just bought some brown thread and a needle and i will sew it up this weekend , it was undone maybe about 3.5 inches .
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Fenris....I have one of each and in my opinion, the new batch is thicker but the old batch seems....denser?...I feel like I tend to heat up quicker in the old batch than the new one. that is just my expirience.. :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Todd´s current run in XL,somebody please post pics about it... :notworthy:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

We seem to have moved on to the new version, but I want to talk about my "new" old version! ;)

I was down to one jacket (a too-large Wested) and had been putting off buying a new Todd's standard because I really would like to try them in person. I emailed them about it and also asked about the sizing. Kristen replied that the only difference in the pattern from the Bantu Wind to the new jacket is the yoke. She wrote that the BW has a 3" yoke and the new ones have a 6" yoke, but I'm sure she transposed those numbers. That's good news to me because the BW fit is ideal for me. She also wrote that the new jackets "do have quite a bit of texture to them." Something else to think about.

While I was pondering, another member put a like-new older Todd's standard XL in the Bazaar. The price was certainly more attractive than a brand new jacket, and I'm familiar with (and like) the older leather, so I bought it.

(Borrowing your picture. Hope you don't mind.)

It came in the mail just as we were leaving on a weekend trip, so I brought it along. When I put it on, one of my friends called me Fonzie and started saying, "Ayyy!" (Uncultured swine.)

Turns out it's just slightly too big on me. Oddly, it's a little snug across the upper back, but very roomy under the arms, and because it's practically new, it A-frames like crazy. Still, the color is perfect and the underlying leather is light brown, so it will weather the way I like it (if not quite as red as I'd prefer). It's supple and almost uniformly smooth, aside from some grain on one of the sleeves. I love that it's light enough to wear often. I'm going to try (as gently as I can) to get it to shrink a little and conform to me. I'll be using Tundrarider's tutorial to break it in. I can't wait to start massaging it with Obenauf's. My only gripe is that one of the action pleats is smaller (thinner, width-wise) than the other, and tends to poof out. I'm hoping it will relax eventually.

All this to say, I got a new (old) Todd's and I think we will be very happy together. I'll post some progress and full gear pictures when I can.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Progress update. I put the jacket in the washer with Leather Therapy wash and conditioner, but didn't let it run a full cycle. I let it dry for a couple of hours on a towel, stuffed with towels, then got impatient and put it outside on the hammock in the sun for a little while. The leather had been mostly smooth; after the wash it was showing some nice, subtle grain. I wanted some shrinkage, so I put it in the dryer and let it tumble on medium until it was damp, then hung it in the garage overnight while I went to work. In the morning I put it on and went to bed.

Once it was fully dry, it was crinkled and grainy and very stiff. In fact, it looked and felt almost exactly like Bantu Wind leather. :-k Here's how it looked post-wash, pre-conditioning:

I was actually a little scared that it was so stiff, but today I gave it a nice coat of Obenauf's and a lot of the flexibility came back. It's wonderfully dark and the aroma is intoxicating. It shrunk almost too much, but I'm losing weight so it'll be fine. (I can always wash and stretch it, too.) I wore it most of the day and I'm very, very pleased with how it's turned out. I believe I've found my Raiders jacket—at least for the foreseeable future. ;)

I'll get some full gear shots next.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

that looks INSANELY nice...great job! :TOH:
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Oildale, how much did it shrink? A full size? I shrunk an xl Bantu down a full size with a water treatment. The new standards seem a little larger than the Bantu's so I'm wondering whether I should go with an xl again or just a large. The shrunken xl Bantu fits me perfect.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I would say it's now firmly between L and XL. The XL Bantu Wind (post-wash, I believe) fit me perfectly.

....................New..........Post-wash
Storm flap....23"...........23"
Pit to pit.......24"...........23"
Waist............24"...........24" (with about an inch of adjustment left)
Sleeve...........24"...........24"
Shoulder.......22"...........20"
Back..............24"...........23.5"
Arm hole.......10.5"...........10.5"

(Can't do a table? Sorry.)

Interesting. The numbers are very similar but the fit is noticeably more snug, and I did lose at least a half inch in sleeve length. Also, the sleeve diameter is smaller overall. It shrunk a little wonky (the bottom of the back flap is no longer straight), but I'm perfectly OK with it looking like the Well of Souls or airplane fight jacket(s).

Obviously it's not an exact science.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Finally got hold of my jacket! It fits great! The sleeves are a bit long, but not that much... about half an inch. I guess it will shrink over time... As long as it doesn't shrink more than an inch, I'm fine.

Will post pics if I can... Right now I'm removing the sheen and kinda distressing it a bit... :lol:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Is disstressing really necessary to do,I mean f.e. Todd´s Jacket looks great even without the any treatments or such...Seems futile to me,IMO
Wested Hero,all the versions I´ve seen here do not needed to do anything... :roll:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

MARQ wrote:Is disstressing really necessary to do,I mean f.e. Todd´s Jacket looks great even without the any treatments or such...Seems futile to me,IMO
Wested Hero,all the versions I´ve seen here do not needed to do anything... :roll:
its a personal preference..thats all..its like why buy a new car and and put new parts on it ? its a new car and works fine the way it is..its all in what the buyer feels he/she needs.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

It´s matter of oppinion as you said,but it´s like "no,you´re ruining a perfectly good jacket,for what;to make it older?!"
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

No, "Because I want to." ;) One man's ruining is another man's weathering.

In my case it was a matter of making a few tweaks for fit and appearance. Some people are happy with a new-looking jacket; others want something that looks older; and some have several of each. :-
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Oildale Jones wrote:No, "Because I want to." ;) One man's ruining is another man's weathering.

In my case it was a matter of making a few tweaks for fit and appearance. Some people are happy with a new-looking jacket; others want something that looks older; and some have several of each. :-
Precisely! I don't want a jacket that looks like I just bought it in the mall. I want it to look a bit older. I can hardly buy a used one as there aren't too many medium jackets being sold here.

I'm the same with some shoes. Especially sneakers... I dont want them to look too new when I first wear 'em.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Ok Here we go (Due to the 6 photo limit, click on the links to see rest of pics)

This is a 2008 Coyle's Standard Model. Honestly, the pattern is actually quite good, compared to other jackets i've personally handled. Pockets seem to be the right size and cut definitely has the "shrug off your shoulders" element going on although its not as pronouced or definitive as my Nowak.

Jacket, fresh out of the package looked like this

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05460.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and with some elbow grease, now looks like this

Out of the box the jacket is rice paper thin, with no character and a sheen that looks like cheap store bought vinyl.

I did the water treatment althought I strayed away from using hot and settled on lukewarm. I let it competely soak and then let excess water drip out. I then balled it up after kneading it like pizza dough for a solid 15 minutes. It looked like this

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05461.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then, after kneading some more, I began twisting and "pinching" the leather, to create wrinkles and texture while it dried. It then looked like this

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05474.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hanging up on a deluxe, suit hanger, I allowed it to completely dry. I didnt wear it to bed or anything but wore it for several hours while it dried and did Tony's trick of scrunching up the sleeves and taking my other hand and rubbing in the wrinkles.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05475.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05476.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After drying the jacket is stiff. I mean, still like foiled paper, so the jacket needed two coats of pecards. The first coat was light and then the second coat was only in certain areas and the back panel. I left it out in hot weather in direct sunlight to "bake" in and the finished product is this

texture
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05492.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05478.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back panel
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05493.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05495.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compared to my Nowak SL HERO

Fit pics

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05485.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05484.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sleeves shrunk up a little more than I wanted to. Great and an amazingly SA jacket for the price (blows Wested out of the water in my opinion). My opinion, Todd should replace the zipper with a silver Ykk, replaced hardware with silver snaps like on the nowak and replace the slider buckles with steel drings. But minor things, all others considered.

Definitely a great Indy jacket and more "indy" than others I've had.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I like it! :clap:

One thing I've recently noticed about Todd's vs. (to pick just one) the Well of Souls jacket is that the WoS has a larger sleeve circumference. In the publicity photos, you can see the sleeves are not quite as fitted as the Todd's; I think that adds to the overall "slouchiness" of Indy's look. For what that's worth.

But I'm with you. I don't know how Todd gets so close (to my ideal, anyway) for so much less than the other guys.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Thanks! The sleeve circumference canbe wider but the sleeves do come to a taper in the film original. I actually prefer the bigger collar on the Nowak but the Tods does seem to hold its own. I just love the texture that appears after you do the soak...
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I also have a Todd's from 2008, and it has been an excellent Raider's jacket, with way more style and durability than Mr. Coyle charges for. I think the jackets he's offered since look very good as well, but for me he dialed it in just right in 2008. I did stretch the sleeves from the elbow down to widen them a bit, then it was perfect.

As a matter of fact, I'll be wearing mine to work tomorrow. Great jacket there, ReturningSon!

Weston