indyclone's review on the new "RAIDER" fedora from Todd's

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

indyclone's review on the new "RAIDER" fedora from Todd's

Post by indyclone »

Hey , Folks.
Well i have my hat and I must say it is very nice! The hat is very soft to the touch. Much like the "Uptowner" you are able to move the brim around to adjust and the crown is easy enough to make your own bash to. I got my hat preshaped , but I was happy with the bash on top and fiddled with it for a few seconds to make it look nice to the way I like the hat to look.The hat was a bit short in the crown than the "Downtowner" but along the same height as the "Uptowner." I have pics of all my hats from Todd's from the "Downtowner"(version one) to the "Raider." I did love the color of the hat and the band seemed to look much darker ,too, than the "Downtowner" and the "Uptowner.''
so i think has another winning hat on his hands, so for you folks that don't have a a decent hat yet , look into the "Raider." :TOH:

The "Downtowner (version one and two)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The "Downtowner" and the "Uptowner"
]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras003.jpg
The "Uptowner and the "Raider

the "Raider" on my head

Backside

Showing that brim is flexible
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras013.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by indyclone on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: indyclone's review on the new "RAIDER" fedora from Todd

Post by whiskyman »

Is it me or does the brim look a little stingy for a Raiders hat?
The Numenorean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Numenorean »

A great looking lid Indyclone. I'm defintely very tempted to get the Raider as my first fedora

:TOH:
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Is it me or does the brim look a little stingy for a Raiders hat?

Hmmm...I'd have to agree. Did I miss if the dimentions were given somewhere? Crown height, etc.? Seems there's a little ribbon slippage on yours there, Indyclone? Are the tacks up high? Not a big deal if you can just pull the ribbon back down...similar to my Henry. Seeing the brim break all around the bottom of the crown would bother the @!!%^ outta me though :shock:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, at least the ribbon is much closer than previous incarnations...
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

What size did you get? Do you find it true to size? I agree it doesn't look too Raiderish but maybe because its new and maybe because of the pinch. The Uptowner looks better (now) and I see how it looks stingy, like Rohrshach's hat in the Watchmen.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

JC1972 wrote:............and I see how it looks stingy, like Rohrshach's hat in the Watchmen.
I don't think it's no where near as stingy as all that.....I'd agree it seems shorter dimensions, but not THAT short.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

JC1972 wrote:What size did you get? Do you find it true to size? I agree it doesn't look too Raiderish but maybe because its new and maybe because of the pinch. The Uptowner looks better (now) and I see how it looks stingy, like Rohrshach's hat in the Watchmen.

size was 57

my measurements on my hat are brim front and back 2 3/8 inches
sides are 2 1/2 inches and crown was ( surprising) 5 inches and back was 4 1/2 inches

so very good measurements , maybe it just doesnt look good in the photos i shot , but i just finished the video and it does klook good on my head , just as good as the downtowner , i will post the link to my video as soon as its domne uploading , ( but once again) i am having problems loading from my computer as i did ona previous video and had to upload it thru my son's youtube account. hopefully i will be able to put it on mine eventually.
Last edited by indyclone on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Clone,

I think the new Raiders looks better on you than your old Downtowner.
Enjoy!! :tup:

Could you please measure the brim dimensions for us?

Someone on another forum has showed his hat with a tape measure laying on the brim.
2 3/4" front/back and 2 3/8" sides.
However, he didn't provide his hat size, so it may have been a matter of "scaling" :-k
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

backstagejack wrote:
JC1972 wrote:............and I see how it looks stingy, like Rohrshach's hat in the Watchmen.
I don't think it's no where near as stingy as all that.....I'd agree it seems shorter dimensions, but not THAT short.
Ok, not that short but that's what it reminded me of.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

JC1972 wrote:
backstagejack wrote:
Ok, not that short but that's what it reminded me of.

yeah, rohrshachs hat very little brim , not as wide as the indy hat .
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

here is the review link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2VFk18 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Great review of the hat! You know, looking at it in the review, it has a good LC look......
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

backstagejack wrote:Great review of the hat! You know, looking at it in the review, it has a good LC look......
Better change the name then. ;)
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Dr._J wrote:
backstagejack wrote:Great review of the hat! You know, looking at it in the review, it has a good LC look......
Better change the name then. ;)
that's the name todd has called it dr._j but hey with the unshaped hat when ordered you can make it anything you want ? :)
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

hey indyclone, do you own a christy's adventurer? just wanted to compare that with the raider...
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I saw one of Todds Raiders today (Thanks Yuji!)

I gotta say, I rather liked it for the price it is! The colouring was slightly green perhaps, in the sunlight, but the actual colouring wasn't bad, and the overall look puts it up at least with the Fed IV as a decent and cheap Indy hat I think!

The brim is a little small...Shorter, and the hat shape probably would match the Last Crusade shape best of all, but it works and suited Yuji really well!

Obviously, the head size can make the hat look a touch smaller, and the photo angles Mark used make it seem a touch smaller perhaps, but I'd have to say that the Raider is a lovely hat, and rather unbeatable for the price it is....

I was impressed..Well done Todd! :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

(On the review side, Mark, perhaps you could show the hat without the light behind you? Since all it really shows is a silhouette of the hat, rather than the colouring and details? Just something to bear in mind for a review...)

indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i was asked on my youtube page to add a few more pictures of the hat , here are some with more sunlight hitting the hat from the front room of my huose , i hope it shows more color. and as you can see i fixed the ribbon on my hat cause it was raised is some of the earlier photos .

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras031.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras034.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras028.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras024.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras023.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras027.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by indyclone on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I don't know if it's the way it's bashed, but it looks like it makes an awesome LC... The brim looks perfect for that..... Very tempted.. :-)

Ian

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

as i said in my video review , it most likely become a last crusade bash for most , i just have to work my crease in the front of the hat to give it the raiders look. :)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Those new pictures are a billion times better! The hat looks great. I've been wanting an Indy hat with a slightly lower crown and narrower brim, so this might do very well. This isn't an ideal Raiders shape, but works well for Temple and Crusade. Very tempted.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

I'm gonna be honest here, but I'm sorry to say that I think it looks a little on the small side.
It's a very nice looking hat :) , but to me, a 'Raiders' hat is all about a bigger crown and brim, and this just doesn't pull it off.

For the $$$ I'd still be going The Fed IV.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I agree that the brim looks way too small. What are the demensions Indyclone?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

indyclone wrote:
JC1972 wrote:What size did you get? Do you find it true to size? I agree it doesn't look too Raiderish but maybe because its new and maybe because of the pinch. The Uptowner looks better (now) and I see how it looks stingy, like Rohrshach's hat in the Watchmen.

size was 57

my measurements on my hat are brim front and back 2 3/8 inches
sides are 2 1/2 inches and crown was ( surprising) 5 inches and back was 4 1/2 inches

so very good measurements , maybe it just doesnt look good in the photos i shot , but i just finished the video and it does klook good on my head , just as good as the downtowner , i will post the link to my video as soon as its domne uploading , ( but once again) i am having problems loading from my computer as i did ona previous video and had to upload it thru my son's youtube account. hopefully i will be able to put it on mine eventually.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Thanks Jeff :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Ok...to me...after viewing this over and over, I have to agree that it really does make a pretty darned good LC and I can see a good 'Temple Bridge Scene' hat if worked right. I am only picking up elements of 'Raiders,' but that is not bad, because this is an afully nice looking hat. It is much more plyable and giving in nature and responds, from what I can see here and in Todd's video much better then the HJ's he had for that period of time, of which I have two. Todd really did a good job on working with hats that were not of the quality one would have expected or wanted from an HJ and they have held up pretty well. I don't use them often, but when desiring a shorter crown and tighter brim conviguration (more curl) they are great, but this looks much, much better for that type of style. Not trying to burst anyone's bubbles about it not being a 'perfect' Raider, just saying that it does have the qualities of a good 'Indy' style hat from other pictures/arenas. I really like the hat. It is a good offering and especially at that price point. W>
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

WConly wrote:Ok...to me...after viewing this over and over, I have to agree that it really does make a pretty darned good LC and I can see a good 'Temple Bridge Scene' hat if worked right. I am only picking up elements of 'Raiders,' but that is not bad, because this is an afully nice looking hat. It is much more plyable and giving in nature and responds, from what I can see here and in Todd's video much better then the HJ's he had for that period of time, of which I have two. Todd really did a good job on working with hats that were not of the quality one would have expected or wanted from an HJ and they have held up pretty well. I don't use them often, but when desiring a shorter crown and tighter brim conviguration (more curl) they are great, but this looks much, much better for that type of style. Not trying to burst anyone's bubbles about it not being a 'perfect' Raider, just saying that it does have the qualities of a good 'Indy' style hat from other pictures/arenas. I really like the hat. It is a good offering and especially at that price point. W>

yeah , when Todd put up the names for us to vote on, we didnt have pictures to look at , so we just went along mostly with the name "Raider" because of the name . had we seen pictures we may have voted for something else or probably even come up with a new name like the "crusader?" you never know ? lol :)
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

Is it just me, the angles the photos his hats are taken at, or do Todd's fedoras always have some sort of noticeable taper, almost looking egglike towards the top sometimes?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I really like the proportions on this hat! -mostly because I look like a giant doofus in a tall crown.

I wish I had gotten one of the 'Uptowners' when they were available...(I'm a 57 too, Indyclone... :- )
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well the hat looks good , my uptowner was worn alot last winter through snow and rain storms , so i'm gueesing it shrunk a little , because my son say's it look short on me ( but i think it's cause he wants it for his self) but i may give it to him just like fedora gave it to young indy ! lol. :)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

It would be interesting to see the Raider on a few different faces. It's a handsome lid for sure, but the proportions look small as an Indy hat on your frame, Indyclone.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

jlee562 wrote:It would be interesting to see the Raider on a few different faces. It's a handsome lid for sure, but the proportions look small as an Indy hat on your frame, Indyclone.

so, you are saying i have a fat head? lol [-X :) \:D/
i know i have to lose some weight and hopefully my face won't be so "full" lol
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Great looking lid, but as everyone else has already stated, it definitely doesn't look like a Raiders hat.

:-k

Kyle
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

kwad wrote:Clone,

I think the new Raiders looks better on you than your old Downtowner.
Enjoy!! :tup:

Could you please measure the brim dimensions for us?

Someone on another forum has showed his hat with a tape measure laying on the brim.
2 3/4" front/back and 2 3/8" sides.
However, he didn't provide his hat size, so it may have been a matter of "scaling" :-k
Hi all......that was me. I haven't posted on this site yet. Mostly just post in Indylounge. BUT....since I read this I thought this would be a good opportunity for my first post.

My hat was a size 58.

However, I have returned it to Todd's for a number of reasons. I'm waiting to hear from him.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Welcome Sammy,

Thanks for the info!
If it was a 58, then the brim measurements were dead on.

I think what is really making IC's brim look so stingy is the tall crown.
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

kwad wrote:Welcome Sammy,

Thanks for the info!
If it was a 58, then the brim measurements were dead on.

I think what is really making IC's brim look so stingy is the tall crown.
Thanks for the welcome!

What do you mean that the brim measurements were dead on? You mean as in the measurements used in ROTLA?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Sammy,

Thanks for letting me know it's time to get new glasses... :oops: .... :lol:

Just checked the main site and.....
The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)
That would make it 1/4" too narrow on the sides. :-k
The Numenorean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Numenorean »

So what is the general consensus guys? Is this a good, (fairly) screen accurate budget Raiders lid?

:-k
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

some more pics of the 'Raider" in sunlight outside
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras045.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras046.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras049.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras050.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras051.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras052.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crown looks small here
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... ras047.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a few taken inside with my phone
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... MG0028.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/i ... MG0023.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by indyclone on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kyle
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

yeah yeah yeah , i got kinda carried away! :oops: but i hope we see more hats posted that people have ordered from todd pertaining to the "raider" . so let's see him folks . :TOH:
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

:TOH: Mine comes in tomorrow, my Raiders from Todds. I had to send the first one back, they sent the wrong size. Kristen & Todd are great though, it was an easy mistake to make & easily fixed. Kristen deserves a raise Todd.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well post your pics!!! would love to see it . :)
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 4969_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Indyclone, here is a quick pic of my new Raiders Fedora that I told you about on Youtube and facebook. I'll try to post more soon. Thanks for your feedback before I made my purchase, it was VERY helpful. I'll get my wife to take a better set of pic's. Take care.
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

I know I'm replying to an old post, but I'm gonna do it this one time. I bought a Raiders fedora from Todd back in the spring, played with it for a while, found a good deal on a Fed IV and never looked back. I just couldn't make myself like the Raiders nearly as well as the Fed IV. The Raiders is a nice enough lid, but for the same ball park in price, the Fed IV (IMHO) wins hands down. I re-sold my Raiders. It just wasn't for me. The Fed is so versatile and well made for the money. I picked mine up used for $95.00 shipped. It is in great shape. I re-blocked more to my liking and couldn't be happier.