Todd's Costume Indy Shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Todd's Costume Indy Shirt

Post by Indyzane »

I'm just curious if anyone has one of Todd's costume (brand new 3rd generation) shirts? How's the color and the thickness of the fabric? Any pictures that you can share?

:TOH:
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Todd's Costume Indy Shirt

Post by Adirondack Jones »

glad you brought it up.... I've been thinking about ordering one but I'm still a little gun-shy on the sizes. I got a Large a couple years ago, and, while I'm not a big guy (5'10", 195), its always been kind of snug. the material is okay--it's a bit on the yellow end of the spectrum--and the way the material hangs, just don't like the tightness. I'm thinking about getting XL 'cause I'd rather err towards baggy rather than tight. I don't have HF's physique. But, like I said, mine was maybe a second generation Todd's shirt. Any input on the current run would be appreciated.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have a medium and love it but now that my gut has started to want to "expand" the slim fit makes it show...BUT I personally think that it looks awesome and exactly screen accurate as a slim fit as there is no blousiness in all the Cairo scenes...watch the walk in the Market Square, especially before the fight where it comes untucked.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Color is a personal thing but I think it's a great shirt for the money. I wear these shirts every day and they are my favorites. I order them three at a time. I own shirts by all the manufacturers, even some that aren't made anymore but perfer Todd's shirts the best.

Gailen
sargorn
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sargorn »

I ordered mine over December and had it arrive a few weeks ago with the whip I preordered.

I assume that probably makes it the latest run, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Actually I was slightly disappointed with the quality. There are quite a few loose not trimmed threads (not such a big deal) but also one of the button holes hemming wasn't done properly and is falling off. Prior to ordering all I read were reviews about how Todd's shirts were pretty great and good quality. Not sure the latest run is up to standard. (or I have higher standards? Not sure!).
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

The quality on the three I got a month ago was excellent. Maybe you got a bad fig, I mean shirt.

;)

Gailen
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I picked up an XXL in November 2010, in person. I'm not sure, but I think that is from the current generation. I was concerned about the color and sizing unseen, since even BIG Indy shirts are cut to slim for me. I will probably never get the top button closed for an LC black tie, but the rest of the shirt fit great. The color seem odd if held up and scrutinized next to most other shirts, but worn with gear it looks right enough, and comes out great in photos. Looking back at some of my pics, I sometimes can't tell my Todd's from my Noel Howard if I'm wearing my jacket (which obscures how snug my HN shirt is).
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I was also curious about the newer run of shirts considering that they are of a lighter weight as advertised. The last xl I got about a year ago was much bigger and heavier weight than my first run. As far as color, I was hoping that they would be a little closer to the WPG. In person, that is the closest color I see for S.A., so a good comparison post would be a good idea and much appreciated from anybody who can do it.

jlhampton
sargorn
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sargorn »

trdaggers wrote:The quality on the three I got a month ago was excellent. Maybe you got a bad fig, I mean shirt.

;)

Gailen
I hope so. The other stuff I ordered was reasonably good. It did kind of put me off ordering the pants from there though.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

In my opinion his pants are the best out there.

Gailen
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Anybody know how wide the sleeves run on the Todd's shirt?
I'm hoping they will be slim fitting and not blousy (like on my old Costumebase shirt :-0 )

Gailen,

Totally agree on the pants. Just got a pair today and they are amazing!
All this time I've been thinking "pants are pants", but, after getting these I now know what I've been missing. These ain't no khaki's from Target!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Some things you just can't know without trying it on...

The new fabric is miles ahead of the old fabric in quality and screen accuracy. The old fabric was a sort of loose weave poplin. Based on new pics and some first-hand info, the new fabric is a tight weave, dress shirt quality twill. This was not "off the shelf" fabric - it was custom made for us. The color is an enigma, since fabric is difficult to photograph for some reason. Some will like it, some won't.

Sorry to hear about the button hole. You can exchange it if you'd like.

-Todd
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I've just received a shirt from Todd's in XL that fit's pretty good. I'm a 47" chest and quite big through the shoulders so it's a little snug there, but that's how it's supposed to be...Right? ;)

It's my first Indy shirt so I can't compare weights & colours etc, but I'm really happy with it....

I know off topic, but I also got some pants and they're awesome!!!

Ian
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Hey Tood, I was just on ur web site on the chat room asking about ur shirts and she did say u had size medium in stock, awesome, BTW the girl,whom was chatting with was so nice, great service, her name is Kristen . Thanks for such great products, David
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I think I have 8 of Todd's shirts. They are by far the most comfortable shirt I've ever owned and I've never been disappointed in fit or quality.

The fact that Todd says the NEW material is even better than previous materials breaks my heart because I can't justify to my wife that I NEED another shirt of his when I already have so many.

BUY IT! I doubt you will be disappointed and if so you can always return it or sell it to me if it's a large and used. I'll just have to hide. :CR:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Since the shirts are 20% off right now, I had to get one.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Just ordered! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Thanks for the heads up on the 20% off, plus I have a $9.00 store credit!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Well, I'M in! Been wanting one for a while and the 20% (plus store credit) sealed the deal.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Puppetboy, very happy with all the things I've gotten in the past and I need a new shirt, well, just because, who doesn't? I have a quick couple of questions:

Chest sizing on the website goes S=38", M=38", L=46"; I've owned a (2008) S and a (2009) M, and I know from personal experience there was a big difference between them.

I'm a 38/40 chest with a 30/32 waist, so I'm on the bubble with every dag-gone place I try and find clothing.

With these new ones did anything change in the chest measurements, i.e. is a M still for up to a 38-inch chest, or is it now somewhere in the low 40s?

I'm not comfortable making the jump to a L because I'm not wanting to look like a kid in his dad's shirt.

The only other minor thing I've ever had the least gripe about is the tightness of the cuff when buttoned. Maybe it's just the button's placement, but my cuffs are tight.

Were those adjusted any in the newer shirts, either in cuff size or button placement?
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Mountaineer,
It would be so easy if you could just try them on. The pattern hasn't been changed for the last few years. I don't know about 2008. All I can say is to make your best guess based on our sizing chart, which seems to work for 99% of our customers. Also remember that the shirt will shrink slightly with the first few washings.

-Todd
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

OK. Sounds good. I asked for (another) shirt for Christmas, got cash, because no one wanted to commit to anything.

Just checking (I hated to have to be that guy) but I'm looking forward to seeing these new shirts.

Bottom line, I really appreciate the feedback.
sargorn
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sargorn »

Puppetboy wrote:

-Todd
Thanks for the offer. I figured I probably could. However with international shipping, etc. It's probably more hassle than anything else. Shouldn't be too hard to fix myself.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

OK,now that the cat´s outta bag,we need comparison,between the new and earlier Todd´s Shirt !! Anybody...?
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I ordered a new Todds shirt a couple of days ago and it is scheduled to arrive on Thursday. I have two of his already. The first is from the first run which we all know was a tad on the yellow side and it was just about an inch or two short in the body for me. I tried a dye bath with Ritt pearl gray and that cut down the yellow a lot. It was an xl. The second was from the later run which claimed a great difference in color. It delivered and was not yellow at all. It was more of a French vanilla color, however even though I had ordered the same size in xl, it was considerably bigger than the original xl. Now, I'm looking forward to the new fabric that this new run will bring and maybe a change in color, too. I did downsize to a L considering I've dropped a good bit of weight since the previous purchases. I'm hoping the fit will be much better. We shall see. Regardless, he does offer a great shirt for a great price.

jlhampton
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Just got my delivery of a bag and shirt on Friday. The shirt at first was a tad big for me (L, and I'm 5'11") until going through the wash once and now it's just right for an Indy shirt. The color is spot on for Raiders/ToD, though too brown for LC, in my opinion, as I always thought it looked less tan and more stone colored in LC. The collar is also perfect for Raiders/ToD as it has that slight spear-point tip, though again, a tad long in the spear for LC. The feel is a tad crisp, though I bet after some wear it'll come out softer.

All in all, it's definitely worth the money if you're after a RotLA/ToD look. Personally, I love the shirt. I'll see if I can get some pics this week, though I'm not the best photog.
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Well, I got mine last Thursday and didn't get much of a chance to study it until Sunday. Right out of the box, of course, the color is the first thing noticed and it was pretty much the same as my previous Todds shirt. They are not the identical color, but just about. I wouldn't say it's the s.a. color for Raiders. It's way too tan for that. T.O.D maybe.(with darker buttons of course)
Now sizing. My previous two shirts were both xl. The first run still fits pretty good, although it could be about two inches longer in the body. The second run xl was considerably larger and this one being a lg. fits very close to the previous two. Granted, I haven't put it through the wash yet. Overall this is still a very nice shirt. The fabric feels much better than the last run having just the slightest bit of a sheen/silky feel to it and is very soft. Needless to say, it doesn't feel quite as heavy as my last one which I like. No problems with the construction or any other of the details. I will most likely alter the color if at all possible and perhaps take it in about a half an inch on each side to slim it up a little. Other than that, it is a great shirt. I only wish that the color was closer to that "stone" hue that the Raiders shirt appears to have on screen.

Regards,
jlhampton
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Puppetboy wrote:Some things you just can't know without trying it on...

The new fabric is miles ahead of the old fabric in quality and screen accuracy. The old fabric was a sort of loose weave poplin. Based on new pics and some first-hand info, the new fabric is a tight weave, dress shirt quality twill. This was not "off the shelf" fabric - it was custom made for us. The color is an enigma, since fabric is difficult to photograph for some reason. Some will like it, some won't.

-Todd
I had an issue with the old material...at first. To me it felt strangely artificial. I just don't know how to explain it any better. Recently (it's about 3 years old and always dry cleaned, no starch) I realized it feels totally different. Now, I really like it...as much as my AB in feel. In fact, the only complaint I have is the length is a bit short and hard to keep tucked. For the record, I'm 5'8" 170 lbs and usually wear a 15 1/2, 33/34 or Med.

With what Todd said about the new fabric, I'm going to have to add another of his to my wardrobe soon!
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I have said it before, I love Todds shirts for the money. I have maybe ten of them. I will say that the Magnoli Shirts are also fabulous but more expensive but the quality difference is apparent.
With all that said I'm a big Todd shirt fan. :clap:

Gailen
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I have one of his first shirts (most yellow), because I liked it so much I promptly ordered when he had the color altered. Now, I must have a third variation when I found myself wanting to wear his shirt just for everyday but needed a larger shirt for comfort. I went with an XL instead of a large and I have to say it's very similar to the second version, but, perhaps the because the size is different the buttons are different in shape and not in a good way.

I think the older buttons were a lot more accurate. I will post pics if anyone wants.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Redinight wrote:I have one of his first shirts (most yellow), because I liked it so much I promptly ordered when he had the color altered. Now, I must have a third variation when I found myself wanting to wear his shirt just for everyday but needed a larger shirt for comfort. I went with an XL instead of a large and I have to say it's very similar to the second version, but, perhaps the because the size is different the buttons are different in shape and not in a good way.

I think the older buttons were a lot more accurate. I will post pics if anyone wants.
I'd like to see it!!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

THIS JUST IN...

I don't think this has been addressed yet, but so far we all know that Todd's previous shirts are virtually unable to be re-dyed. I have owned two so far and it was impossible to lighten them, even. Well, today I took the time to try it again on the latest shirt run that Todd offers. I don't know what the difference is between the dying processes of each run, but this latest was pretty easy to get the color out. I used two packets of Ritt color remover just as instructed for the stove top method and in just a couple of minutes just about all of the color was out, even the buttons.The left over water was yellow like watered down lemonade. I found that interesting. Now the shirt is practically white. Not white white, just a little off white. Anyways, it's just about like starting with a clean slate. Now I will proceed with a re-dye to finally get the color I've always wanted on the shirt that I prefer. It must have something to do with the different material used on these latest shirts. I don't know, but I'm glad.

jlhampton
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

jlhampton wrote:THIS JUST IN...

I don't think this has been addressed yet, but so far we all know that Todd's previous shirts are virtually unable to be re-dyed. I have owned two so far and it was impossible to lighten them, even. Well, today I took the time to try it again on the latest shirt run that Todd offers. I don't know what the difference is between the dying processes of each run, but this latest was pretty easy to get the color out. I used two packets of Ritt color remover just as instructed for the stove top method and in just a couple of minutes just about all of the color was out, even the buttons.The left over water was yellow like watered down lemonade. I found that interesting. Now the shirt is practically white. Not white white, just a little off white. Anyways, it's just about like starting with a clean slate. Now I will proceed with a re-dye to finally get the color I've always wanted on the shirt that I prefer. It must have something to do with the different material used on these latest shirts. I don't know, but I'm glad.

jlhampton
That's really interesting. I just wish he hadn't run out of the medium so fast. As far as I know there's still no word on when he'll get some more in or if they'll even be the same as the one you're talking about.
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Well Ray,
You could get a large and have it taken in a bit. That's what I did on his last run since they were cut so darn big. These latest shirts aren't as big as the last so it may only be a minor alteration. Or,...you could wait.

jlhampton
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Well, I took the plunge and bought a few items from Todd's costume. I had a pair of boots on order but cancelled at the last minute for more gear. We're heading back to Disney World this October so my wife can do the 10K and we all do the Halloween party. Since I'm going as Indy I obviously needed new gear. ;) :lol:

On Thursday a box arrived with a shirt and a pair of pants.

The shirt is perfect. The fabric, the cut, the feel, it screams Indy. The only issue and it's small is that it does lean towards yellow instead of stone. That will be remedied shortly enough though with some black socks ;) Even still, if I did nothing with the color, in full gear it looks fine. Only one of us would notice and honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to do even that.

-The Dude
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The Dude and I met up for a shot visit yesterday, and I, too, was VERY impressed with Todd's shirt. Compared favoribly to a few of the other examples I've been able to inspect over the past years, and like Dude says, with the exception of the yellowish coloration, think it's a real winner. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...all this dialog and no pics...? I'd really like to SEE one of the new generation... :-k
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll get one up this afternoon for you TS.

-The Dude
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Here is a picture of mine, this is the current generation: :TOH:

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Indyzane wrote:Here is a picture of mine, this is the current generation: :TOH:

Thanks for the look. :TOH: It's hard to judge the color on a monitor with nothing else to go by, especially on a brown background, but is this the as-is color or did you alter it in any way?
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I have to say, if mine looked this color in real life to the naked eye, I would not have removed the color from it. The actual color of my latest was more of a creamy tan, not what appears in the above photo. I'd love to see comparison pics.

jlhampton
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I'd say that light plays a HUGE part in how this shirt looks. In certain light, there is definitely a bit of a yellow quality to my shirts (I have two), and it other light they definitely look more tan/stone.

I would imagine that the same thing holds true for shirts in the films, too. All movies have to be "color timed" so that the color is consistent in every scene, no matter how it was filmed.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

RayROnline wrote:
Indyzane wrote:Here is a picture of mine, this is the current generation: :TOH:

Thanks for the look. :TOH: It's hard to judge the color on a monitor with nothing else to go by, especially on a brown background, but is this the as-is color or did you alter it in any way?

No I haven't done anything to this shirt. (Except wear the H$&@ out of it.) My first generation Todds shirt is very yellowish, this one is more Streets of Cario color IMO.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The above being said, Dude, I wonder if you got old stock rather than the new iteration? The first thing we both commented on was the mustard tint of the material, though I still think the quality of the shirt is top rate, the color kind of put me off a bit. :-k

You may have received a 1st generation rather than the one as shown above.

Just a thought.

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I very well could have because my shirt is not that color at all, not by a long shot. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope. Still, it's a nice shirt..... :M: :tup:
Regard! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes it is! :TOH:
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Glad you like the shirt. I'm always interested in color discussions... I had to jump in.

The Dude has our latest shirt - it is lighter than our previous shirts, and a slightly different shade. This is one of those deals where reality and fantasy don't reconcile - reality (what the real shirt looked like as used on set during filming) and fantasy (what it looks like on screen, and more specifically, what you think it looks like on your screen). From what I've seen, the real shirt that Peter had had a taupe hue.

I took a bunch of shirts and fabric outdoors and photographed them. Looking at each shirt individually, you'd never guess how different they look side by side. Several of these are military shirts that you would say were the same color (until you put them side by side).

larger image here

I'm at the re-order point for shirts again, and I'm re-visiting the color issue. I'll probably be fabric shopping this week. Even if I precisely matched the color of a screen-used shirt, would you like it?

-Todd
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

This is one those issues as point out that it could also have been the light source we were sitting under at the time I was looking at the shirt.

We were seated at table in a shopping mall. I believe they use sodium vapor lights there. We SHOULD have examined it in direct sunlight for true color. #-o

I'll remember that next time we meet up.

Like I said, Todd, I was and still am VERY impressed with the construction of the shirt. VERY nice!

When I pulled it out of the bag, I was immediately reminded of the original Willis and Geiger shirts we used to be able to get hold of back in the 90's.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Oh, sorry, Michaelson, if you thought I was directing this question at you specifically, I was putting this out to everyone.

The Dude: I'm glad you like the shirt! And M, thanks for the comments! I think they're pretty nice, too.

-Todd
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Offhand, 7 or 10 would get my vote.