Indy-ish Vintage Look Suitcase

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

For a while now I’ve been on the lookout for a cool, vintage-style (or actual antique) suitcase to have as part of my Indy Collection either as a display item (especially if it’s in rough shape) and/or to use on occasion for actual travel…

I’m sure I don’t have to tell those of you that are keen to collect something similar that it can be tough to find something that’s
an actual antique
AND
reasonably priced
AND
looks good on the outside
AND
isn’t torn up or growing mold on the INside
… usually you find you’ve got to give up (at least) one of these things when shopping (online or in person) for this sort of Indy-ish item.

So, I was pretty pleased when I picked up this nice piece of luggage at the start of this past weekend.
Strangely, it had been a few months since I’d been looking online for such a suitcase… I was on my lunch break and sitting in front of my computer when I suddenly had an impulse from out of nowhere to look up “antique (or vintage) suitcase” once again.
:-k

The seller had place an ad calling it an “antique reproduction”. I immediately sent him an e-mail and he replied a short time later. It turned out that he lived only a block or two out of my way from my regular route home. I stopped by after work on Friday and did my best job of playing it cool when he brought it out to show me (hope I didn’t push the cash into his hand TOO hard before I beat a hasty retreat out of there!) ;)

The fella selling it made it clear that he’d only ever used it a few times for travelling and afterwards just kept it in one of the rooms in his house as a cool, decorative piece. He also said he’d paid a lot more FOR it than what he was now asking for it (said his wife wanted it gone because they were re-decorating the room and “it was taking up space”) …Luck was with me! He even mentioned that he’d had the ad posted for several weeks and I was the first to reply to it!
:) :tup:

It had a good layer of dust on it, mind you… but once I got it home and spent a couple of hours wiping it down and giving the dry leather a nice even application of Pecard Leather Dressing, the hide really began to get some “life” back in it. I also gave the inside a little vacuuming, but it seemed almost unnecessary. The inside looked almost untouched and seemed completely dust-free.

I’ve included photos below (apologies in advance for my attempt to create and arty/moody IndyGear shot… I know what I was trying to capture, but my camera just doesn’t seem interested in co-operating in low lighting.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... 9088-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... 9094-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... 9071-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... 9109-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... 9114-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... 9224-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m really happy with this suitcase… It’s a well-constructed and sturdy leather piece that has a nice, adventurous “feel” to it…

“and I even like the color”

;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Indy-ish Vintage Look Suitcase

Post by Michaelson »

HOMERUN!!!!! \:D/
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thank you, sir!
:TOH:

Like I said, I wanted one of these for a while (and it's a rare, "not strictly screen accurate, but ahhh... who cares?" acquisition for me)... Felt awfully good to get it.
:D
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

So you're my secret santa next year right? That's so good of you to pick that up for me ;)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Outstanding!
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Great find and great condition. I've been looking for one like that for a year with no luck. Nice Find! :clap:

Gailen
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Nicely done! I've been on the lookout for these for a number opf years, but can never come up with one that is in good enough condition and worth the price they're asking.

I often stumble upon them at the local fleas markets, not the "made in china" junk ones, but the ones where folks do it for a living and travel the circuit.

Folks are usually using them to transport their goods and when I start showing interest, they start coming up with all sorts of outlandish prices. :roll:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

What a great find!!! :clap: You really lucked out with this one--well done!

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Very nice!

I'm building my own steamer trunk since so many vintage one were made of thin pine planks that rotted over the years. I've tongue and grooved my planks and covered it in faux alligator leather. I just need to finish the assembly now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 536635382/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice and NICE!!!!!! :tup:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

lantzn: Your doing a beautiful job. Can't wait to see it when your finished.

Gailen
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That is a beautiful piece!!!! :clap:

Awesome find :TOH:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Mitch,

That's a beauty. Funny how those sudden hunches or impulses seem to work... :tup: :tup:

Lantzn,

You do nice work, sir! :TOH:

LJ
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks very much, fellas... I'm very glad you like the suitcase!
:)

lantzn, I have to add my voice to what the guys are saying... That steamer trunk is looking great and looks well on it's way to awesome! Please keep us posted on how things develop!

Dalexs wrote:Nicely done! I've been on the lookout for these for a number of years, but can never come up with one that is in good enough condition and worth the price they're asking ... when I start showing interest, they start coming up with all sorts of outlandish prices.
Dalexs, you'll probably hate me for saying this, but I'd rather you hear it from me than anyone else (and Gater'd likely tell on me at this year's F.L. Summit if he heard first), but I paid 85 bucks total for it.
(Michaelson, I need to borrow the car for a minute)
:Plymouth:
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Mitch LaRue wrote:...Dalexs, you'll probably hate me for saying this, but I'd rather you hear it from me than anyone else (and Gater'd likely tell on me at this year's F.L. Summit if he heard first), but I paid 85 bucks total for it.
(Michaelson, I need to borrow the car for a minute)
Mitch, have you booked your room yet at Microtel? Whats the room number... No reason... just wondering :[
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:

:-k
Hmmm... might have to ask Curator Rick if I can sleep in the barn!
tgalahad
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by tgalahad »

Fantastic looking suitcase! :notworthy: May it serve you well on many adventures.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Best vintage looking luggage I've ever seen!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow, Mitch! Nice find. As other have already said, finding any kind of vintage style luggage (even newly made) is either falling apart (and still priced through the roof) or in great condition (and priced even higher than the roof).

So it's a 'reproduction,' any markings of a maker? What's it weigh? That's one of the downside of leather luggage, it weighs nearly as much as the clothes that would go in it!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Mitch LaRue wrote:(Michaelson, I need to borrow the car for a minute)
Sure thing. Just put the suit case in the trunk, then go stand over there by the wall while I turn the car around. :M: :tup:

I'll be right back for you. Honest. :[

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

(and Gater'd likely tell on me at this year's F.L. Summit if he heard first), but I paid 85 bucks total for it.
Aw Mitch, I wouldn't rat you out - besides, I already hooked myself up years ago

Last edited by Gater on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

BEAUTIFUL!
:shock:
(WOW!)
That's really something, Gater! VERY nice!

And THANKS again to the other fellas who've chimed in over the last couple of days with such nice compliments (AND threat of thievery... It flatters me deeply) ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

"thievery"? Don't you mean flat out stealing? :-s

:[
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Michaelson wrote:"thievery"? Don't you mean flat out stealing? :-s

[-X We're recovering valuable artifacts! Maybe they should be in a museum!

And if Marcus won't pay for them... :-k well, we'll hold them for safekeeping. :anxious:

LJ
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I stand corrected.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:
Michaelson wrote:"thievery"? Don't you mean flat out stealing? :-s

[-X We're recovering valuable artifacts! Maybe they should be in a museum!

And if Marcus won't pay for them... :-k well, we'll hold them for safekeeping. :anxious:

LJ
Well, ok.....I just plan on flat stealing the thing if given half the chance, but you pursue it your own way. :-k

Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Somebody get me Bink!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Take 'em. He's yours! :BD:

Regards! Michaelson
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

...it was that, or "assemble the usual scoundrels"
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Hey Mitch,

Very nice, would love to find one like that. Just curious, the top panel, that appears to be soft leather. Does that make the main compartment expandable, or is it a separate compartment?

later, Brian
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey guys,
Sorry it’s taken a few days to get around to answering these questions…
Indiana Jeff wrote:So it's a 'reproduction,' any markings of a maker? What's it weigh? That's one of the downside of leather luggage, it weighs nearly as much as the clothes that would go in it!
Hi Jeff. No, not a single marking to give a clue as to who made this piece. Good question (and observation) about the weight, though.
We’ve got one of those hand-held luggage scales with a hook for the handle (used to prevent going over designated weights on flight) so I gave it a lift: She weighs in a exactly 14 pounds. At first I was surprised, thinking that this seemed like a LOT considering that I thought it had felt reasonably light in my hand… but then I also weighted my regular piece of Samsonite luggage that was similar in size and it, too, weighed in at 14 pounds.

interbak wrote:Just curious, the top panel, that appears to be soft leather. Does that make the main compartment expandable, or is it a separate compartment?
It’s not a separate compartment, no. It’s probably best described as an additional panel that allows for extra space to pack… and yes, it seems to work quite nicely: I placed a very solid box into the suitcase that measured a bit taller than the overall “height” of the suitcase (when laid on it’s side) and when I closed it, the expandable panel did exactly that, pushing outward and allowing for the extra bulk inside of it… pretty cool.

Cheers, guys.
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

A very handsome looking case, that. :tup: Excellent find! Interesting that there's no label, though.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Very, very nice. :clap: I like the additional leather straps, too.