Land's End Canvas Crosby boot: A second look

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

These boots were brought to my/our attention by Stefan Hills in a previous thread: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I ordered a pair and was put off by their dressiness, so I returned them, but after Indy Magnoli alerted us to a discount I ordered a larger pair. My intention was to really let these boots have it just to see what I could make of them. I referred to the distressing instructions found on this very board and went to town.

Here are the boots brand new (indoors, natural light):

Eh.

After breaking them in a little bit by hand (outdoors, natural light):

Hmm.

A generous application of acetone made the biggest impact, taking away the plasticky shine and feel, and letting the genuine leather underneath show through. It was at this point that I knew I could live with them.

In different stages of distress (outdoors, natural light, near magic hour):

Ah ha!

I hand-sanded the right boot (at left) and dabbed it in various spots with brown Kiwi shoe polish. I also went around the sole/welt with the wire wheel on my bench grinder, being careful not to go overboard (all the while thinking of Judge Smails's golf shoes in Caddyshack). The toe stitching...well, you can see how poorly it held up against just sandpaper. The sole is hard rubber; it's tan under the brown surface. To me this looks like it's getting close to the ToD bridge boots.

On the left boot, well, I went overboard with the wheel. :shock: So far I've avoided the stitching. This is right after an application of Pecard's. The upper needs a lot of attention yet. The edging around the top of the upper is a sort of shiny plastic beading that reacts very poorly to being sanded (it exposes a fibrous white material); the other exposed edges lighten up nicely.

After this pic I Pecarded the right boot and wiped them both down. As you'd expect, they got dark again, and the roughest spots turned gray, but some gentle sanding brought out the lightness again. (I'm going for an overall "Raiders opening" look, but "airplane fight" is OK, too.) Since they've been broken down and Pecarded, they've become a lot more pliable.

For the price I paid ($75.41), I'm very happy with them. I'm not finished with the distressing (I want a more natural, organic look), and I'd like more accurate laces, but I wanted to get this info out there while the boots are still available. I'll update when I reach a point of satisfaction.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Re: Land's End Canvas Crosby boot: A second look

Post by PyramidBlaster »

There's also a set on there that are dead ringers for the RedWing ruggeds, at on sale for $69/ reg $149, FYI... But those are pretty darn nice for the price!

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/StylePage ... 3-_-406490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

The Crosbys are on sale for $79.99 now. Get free shipping with code SNOWSHOE and PIN 1051.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I think all stitching should be kept away from sandpaper, since it degrades pretty much any thread..Even the more costly stuff...I like the left boot though! That balance looks cool!

Decent work for the price I think! :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Some more scuffing, kneading, polish, Pecard's and heat, and here's what I have:

Outdoors, overcast, no flash.

Here they are next to my $20 Arizona Jeans boots, just for the halibut.

Indoors, flash.

I'm happy. :D
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

But how do they FEEEEEEEL!?!?!?!??! Are they comfy or do they feel like walking on concrete or...????
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

RaidersBash wrote:But how do they FEEEEEEEL!?!?!?!??! Are they comfy or do they feel like walking on concrete or...????
Let's just say now that i have broken mine in for about a month, they feel GREAT! :tup:

I had done exactly the same thing as Oildale Jones to my boots and they scream Raiders. \:D/

When I lace up, I don't use the top two hooks. This helped alot with the "breaking in" period.

George :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

RaidersBash wrote:But how do they FEEEEEEEL!?!?!?!??! Are they comfy or do they feel like walking on concrete or...????
You mean I'm supposed to wear them?

They pinch a little at the top, so I'll try them "HF style." There's very little cushioning and no arch support, so I'll need to add an insole at the least. I'll have to wear them and get back to you. (I'm in SoCal, where if I'm not wearing my duty boots, I'm wearing flip-flops.)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Thank you, Sir Michael. :notworthy:

I'm wearing them today in the rain, and they look great with jeans. Even without an extra insole, they feel pretty good.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Final update, I reckon. I hit them with a coat of the Kiwi brown and brushed them out.

Outdoors, natural light, magic hour.

This is probably as close to what I was looking for as I can get. (Aside from the now-brown toe stitching, that is.) Now to wear the dog snot out of them...
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

In case anyone is interested, they're now $69.99 with free shipping. There might even be online coupons available.

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/CrosbyMoc ... igin=index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harry Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Harry Jones »

Glad you like 'em! You sure worked hard on them. More boot than shoe look to them now. Just be gentle with the hooks. The pair I tried had hooks so weak they bent the first time I laced them up. I confess, I like to lace my boots tight, but still...
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

If I didn't already have Aldens I would definitely get these, as these are the best "close enoughs" I've seen besides Todd's.

Kyle
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Years ago, before the COW overhaul--these were one of the first Alden's alternate boots posted. I bought a pair in 2002 when they were about $40.00 and I've been happy with them. I did add some inserts, and they've served me well while trekking across Europe. I certainly recommend them.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I had no idea they'd been around that long.

I really like mine. Great beaters for the money. A little stiff and hard to break in, but they really are a good ringer for the 405.

Someone earlier mentioned that the stitching on the moccasin toe was just decorative, which is true. But it is on the 405 as well. You have to go to a higher end Alden boot, like a shell horse hide 405 variant, or a split toe shell, to get a true sewn moccasin toe, I believe.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

If you hadn't told me those weren't Aldens, I just would have assumed they were! They look great!

And the distressing looks good, too! Nice work! :TOH:

Shane
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Price dropping: now $55.99.

How to get Free Shipping $50 minimum + 20% off Reduced price & Clearance items:

Simply click any link in this e-mail and the Promotion Code and PIN will automatically be applied to your order.

http://email.landsend.com/servlet/cc6?t ... huVaVRVXLX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or at checkout‚ manually enter the Promotion Code SMILE and PIN 3030 .
D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

Anybody have some pics of them wearing them? Some action shots or the such? That would be great. And is the insole removable or is it sewn in?
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I'm not near mine right now but it looks like a leather or leather-like insole probably glued in if I remember correctly. It's not soft. Feels very much like an actual Alden boot inside. And the leather lining is very thin: probably just thin enough to bond with the shell. Any thinner and it would be unusable! It has some kind of shank in the sole too, plastic or fiberglass, certainly not steel.

They're not Aldens, but the more I wear them, the more I like them. And now that they're even cheaper, snatch some up if you are inclined. Just be careful with the lace hooks.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

D wrote:Anybody have some pics of them wearing them? Some action shots or the such? That would be great. And is the insole removable or is it sewn in?
No action shots, but there's this:

What's funny is I had some close-ups with the trousers, but I'd taken them myself so the trouser legs looked too short, so I got rid of the pictures just days ago.

You're right; it's not that funny.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

You guys! I was all set to order one of each (Brown/black) and the brown size 13 are sold out! #-o :(

Oh well, guess I'll just get the black since I'm waiting on my 404s \:D/

If the 404s end up fitting, maybe I'll start savingn for the black 405s...

Thanks for the heads up on the sale and coupon! I couldn't quite convince myself until the extra 20% off.

Riothamus

EDIT: Looks like they're not doing reorders, at least not in the near future. Once a size is gone, it's gone. So if you want to try this out, better snap to!
sargorn
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sargorn »

Curse my wide feet! I'm a 10 2E.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

I ordered a pair since they were so cheap and they arrived yesterday.

They are very tight shoes, I ordered a size 12 before I read what Oildale said in his last post, I also have pretty wide feet. Since they are so cheap and 13's are sold out I decided to keep them and see if I could stretch em out. I Pecarded them yesterday to loosen up the leather although I'm not sure how well that worked It didn't soak in as much as I've seen on my other boots and then today I put on a pair of the thickest socks I had and wore them around the house. Very uncomfortable at first but once I'd worn them for a bit and got them semi-broken in I switched to some normal socks and they fit much better. They will take a bit to really get broken in but they are much more comfortable and will work.

I did notice one bit of stiching that has come loose around the top of the ankle however since I'm going to eventually distress them it's not something that will hurt the integrity of the shoe.

Overall I'm happy with them for what they are, something that will look like Aldens but for $60 :lol:

I'll post pics once I get them where I want them.

- bish
The Omega Man
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by The Omega Man »

Did I miss something? I can't find this boot on the website. Did COW clean them out already? ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

You have to go to their "SALE" page; still listed there.

Just ordered a pair to give them a shot.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

The Omega Man wrote:Did I miss something? I can't find this boot on the website. Did COW clean them out already? ;)
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-cros ... igin=index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Omega Man
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by The Omega Man »

Got it! I am a fool! :oops: Thanks guys!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I got my black ones in over the weekend. I didn't have as negative a reaction to the sheen and appearance of the leather as some of the others. They are STIFF though. Quite unlike my Aldens which I also just got (which is for another thread). I also lucked out on size 13 brown. The day after I ordered my black ones, the 13s in brown were back available. If I decide I don't want them I'll check in here before I return them.

I didn't have any problems with the metal bending when I tried them on. As I said they are stiff. They seem true to size and perhaps a little narrow for a medium. However, it seems like the leather will likely stretch a bit. I'm going to wear them at night for a bit to decide if I want to keep them.

Riothamus
sargorn
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sargorn »

bish wrote:I ordered a pair since they were so cheap and they arrived yesterday.

They are very tight shoes, I ordered a size 12 before I read what Oildale said in his last post, I also have pretty wide feet. Since they are so cheap and 13's are sold out I decided to keep them and see if I could stretch em out. I Pecarded them yesterday to loosen up the leather although I'm not sure how well that worked It didn't soak in as much as I've seen on my other boots and then today I put on a pair of the thickest socks I had and wore them around the house. Very uncomfortable at first but once I'd worn them for a bit and got them semi-broken in I switched to some normal socks and they fit much better. They will take a bit to really get broken in but they are much more comfortable and will work.

I did notice one bit of stiching that has come loose around the top of the ankle however since I'm going to eventually distress them it's not something that will hurt the integrity of the shoe.

Overall I'm happy with them for what they are, something that will look like Aldens but for $60 :lol:

I'll post pics once I get them where I want them.

- bish
I ended up getting a 10.5 (half a size up). Seeing as they were pretty cheap. They are tight - but mostly in the mid-section, the toe area is actually reasonably wide. Hopefully I can stretch them out a bit more. :D
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I now have two pairs of black size 13 (don't ask) and one pair of size 13 brown. I'm fairly certain I won't keep the browns if I can decide on which size aldens work for me. I'm still not sure about the black though. These boots are so stiff I'm not sure if I feel like breaking them in. Maybe I'm just lazy. ;) I'll offer them up here before returning them in case 13s remain sold out and the blacks sell out.

Riothamus
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I ordered these as I was looking to save some wear and tear on my Todd's boots. I've had one pair of those resoled and the others are getting close to needing it. I wear them daily for work and grab them most weekends too. I've been looking for another inexpensive (that was the key) boot that I can get into my daily rotation.

I ordered these on Sunday (?) and got them in today's mail. I put them on, laced them up and really like the fit/look. They seemed like quite nice boots for the price. So nice, in fact, I immediately went back online and ordered another pair, in black.

As Sargorn said, the toe box is very roomy. I think there is suitable padding in the foot bed. I'm not an aftermarket insole user, so these do nicely for me.

These boots feel no more stiff than any other pair of leather boots I've worn. I've had less stiff boots, yes, but these remind me of a pair of combat boots, albeit a cut-down pair. They are certainly much less stiff than my Corcoran jump boots. The soles are nice and quiet when walking on hard floors.

To me, the external leather just seemed dry. As I walked around, the creases caused by walking were lighter than the other non-stressed areas. I put a heavy coating of Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner on them and all was better. After I got done, I remembered I had some Lexol Conditioner and that might work too in softening up the uppers.

These are definitely taller boots than the Todd's I have. These cover my ankle and end about two and a half finger widths above the ankle. My Todd's Boots cover the ankle, but they end just above the ankle. If you are looking for it, the added ankle support is noticeable.

There was one lone, popped stitch on the toe stitching on the left boot, close to where the uppers meet the toe. However, it's not a game-ender for me. I'll put a little dab of leatherworking glue into the hole and use a toothpick to stick the stitching back in, and it will be fine.

I used a free shipping coupon I found after a Google search (Lands End Canvas Coupons) and for less than $80 I got a new pair of pretty nice kicks for work or whatever.
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

I just ordered a pair of these in brown. My Todds boots are still going strong, but are showing some wear and we don’t really know when Todd will have his back in stock.

No free shipping out to Spain I’m afraid, but it is still an awesome deal any way you slice it.
Now to wait…
Cheers

IndianaBravo
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Well, I've decided that they don't fit quite right for me and I don't feel like putting the time into breaking them in so they're softer. I notice that the Brown 13s are back in stock, but I thought I'd give you guys a shot at my boots.

I have two size 13 black and one size 13 brown that I'll sell at cost plus shipping (I got them for $59.91 incl tax). Obviously if the sale coupon is still happening this won't be a good deal. PM me if interested.

Riothamus
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I've seriously considered getting a pair of these. I typically wear a 10 wide, but since they don't have wide sizes, I'm considering a 10.5. Anyone get a pair of these but typically get wider shoes?
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

OK, re-read all of the posts (duh) and decided to go with the 10.5. I placed the order after opening the link above for the discount and got them for $59.97. Hopefully the 10.5 will work out for my wider feet, but I'll post back once they've arrived. I'm sure that with a little conditioner and wear, they'll stretch enough for the toes to all fit just fine.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

I know with mine since they didn't have a 12.5 I got the 12 and they did feel tight and not very comfortable at first as I have wide feet, but as I wear them to break them in they have started to feel very comfortable fairly quickly. they have kind of molded to my feet. I don't feel pinched in them anymore. I also got some Alden shoe trees that are for 12 wide shoes and up and while shoe trees are not mean to stretch, the trees are wider than the boots so they have opened them up for me in the right spot.

I will say this though these are not well made shoes. I mean the leather on one of my shoes has tons of imperfections in it that if I was buying these to keep nice I would have returned immediately but since I'm roughing them up on purpose I don't mind. The tongue as what looks like a big "8" branded in it, which is thankfully covers up when the shoes are on. Also the inner leather lining is coming loose already and I've only worn them a few times. I haven't had the issues with the speed hooks that others have.

I think for the price they are fine especially as boots to wear with a costume but I can't believe they were charging as much as they were before.

- bish
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Well, they took only 5 days or so to get here and I am impressed. They are at least an inch and a half taller than my Todds, as you can see in the comparison shot.

The color on the
Landsend is nearly identical to my 3 and half year old Todds. These will definitely take time to break in as they are more than a bit stiff. I will take more pics and post as they get a little more used.

Cheers

IndianaBravo
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

The color sure matches, and I bet they won't be quite as tall after some wear in the leather. I'm (im)patiently waiting for mine to see how the fit is, since based on the pics I'm convinced they certainly look the part.
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Hey APL, regarding size, I got these in a 10.5, which is what I use with standard Nikes and the fit is great.
Cheers

Bravo
Indy30
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy30 »

Just got mine yesterday! I'm going to use them as a work boot. Cant beat the price!! :tup:
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Mine came on Friday and I spent about 20 minutes wearing them around the house to do chores. Not bad feeling, though the way the leather wrinkles looks a tad funny... we'll see how it goes after wearing them all week to work this week. I'm going to let these almost naturally distress.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

APL,

I thought the same thing about the way they wrinkled and creased. I found that with a few heavy applications of Lexol (a couple heavy doses the first setting, then one here and there) they wrinkled more like regular leather shoes.

I've worn these to work every day since getting them and they are doing well.

The black pair I ordered after the brown are also doing well.

Enjoy 'em.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Hey all,

Finally getting around to posting some pictures of the boots I got. I essentially used the same techniques as Oildale at the start. Used quite a bit of acetone to get through the shine and to the leather. This made the biggest difference. Then i sanded a little bit and kneaded the leather with my hands to try and soften it up. I then pecarded them twice cause it just drank up the first coat. Then i went over it with some sand paper again and also used the sand paper on the sides of the sole to bring out the multi-color. I didn't sand them as much as Oildale but just did it enough to add some character. I'll let them age now on their own. Since I these are fairly narrow shoes and I wear 12 wides I really had to break them in and wear them around a bit before they stretched out and felt good. I also got some 12 wide shoe trees which do stretch them a bit even though they are not made for that. Now they feel great. They are actually very comfortable and while the leather is not the best and has quite a few imperfections, as I said before, but since I've roughed them up you don't notice. Also in these pics, the shoes have the trees in them, so that is why your not seeing very many creases in the leather. The creases are there when I'm wearing them.

You can click on the pictures for larger images.

Last edited by bish on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Those look great, bish! Very tastefully done.

I'm glad these are working out. It's nice to be able to bring something to the table. :TOH:
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Thanks! Your post was very helpful when I was working on these.

I was pleasantly surprised at how durable the shoe really are. They can take a good amount of distressing and hold up very well. With the exception of the edging around the top which started coming off of mine before I even did anything :lol:

If these are still available and your on the fence and don't mind doing a little work to get rid of the stiffness of the leather these are a really great alternative Indy shoe.

- bish
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I haven't done anything really to my shoes yet, other than wear them... although these new pics (they look great bish) are making me think it's time to get out the sandpaper. :lol:
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

Thanks guys! :) I think the acetone did the most dramatic work on the leather getting rid of the plastic look and feel really helped, but I should warn I'd there are any imperfections in the leather like on one of my boots it will show. I used a really fine sand paper from about 150-400 grit and was careful not to sand too much.

Also take the sand paper to the metal eyelets and the speed hooks just a little and it gives a nice worn look at well.

- Bish
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Got mine yesterday. I haven't worn them much yet, but plan on starting today. As others have said, they are quite stiff and th leather wrinkles a little weird (I've now treated them with Lexol to help with this). I do have to say, I like the color a lot.

Edit; Following this link may have free shipping included http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-cros ... 40649-0X58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Bish wrote:
You can click on the pictures for larger images.

Image[/quote]

Bish, I think the distressing looks great, but something didn't seem quite right when I first looked at these pics. Now I realize what it is-no wrinkles. When you've worn these a bit and get those natural wrinkles, these boots will really look the part. Great job!
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

There are wrinkles but I didn't take the shoe trees out when I was taking the pictures. You can kind of see where the wrinkle line is in the picture. I put wide shoe trees in them because they have helped stretch them a little for my wide feet but it makes them look smooth as well heh.

And your right as I wear them the wrinkle will get more and more pronounced hehe.

- bish