Alden SHOE sizing

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Alden SHOE sizing

Post by cokewithvanilla »

I bought my 403's a little while ago, been wearing them daily to work and love them... wouldn't dream buying anything else.

I'm in the market for some dress shoes. Does anyone know if Alden's shoe sizes match those of the boot sizes?
\\\\
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Alden SHOE sizing

Post by riothamus »

During my research, I've found that different Alden shoes are made with different molds/models/lasts that fit differently. That's one reason I haven't bought a pair of Alden dress shoes on ebay. No idea if they'd fit.

Riothamus
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

cokewithvanilla wrote:I bought my 403's a little while ago, been wearing them daily to work and love them... wouldn't dream buying anything else.

I'm in the market for some dress shoes. Does anyone know if Alden's shoe sizes match those of the boot sizes?
\\\\
Just give one of the stores a ring. I have always dealt with the San Fransico store regarding my boots and they have always answered any question I have had and been great to deal with. As far as their shoes, I don't know as I have never purchased any before, but again, just talk with them and I am sure they will be able to direct you appropriately. W>
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

I have two pairs of Alden dress shoes, and they fit true to size. They are the same size as my 405's (10.5).

But, they are both plain oxford-type shoes, one a plain-toe blucher and the other a wing tip. I would guess that other models would fit differently because they are made on different lasts.

Best advice: do what I did and get your feet sized in the shoe you want and then buy it online. Much better prices than locally, usually.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Every brand fits a little differently, of course, despite the remarkably standardized sizing system. I always see the various retailers and some Alden stores note to order a half size smaller for the 405. I don't do that--I order what my feet are measured for in a shoe or boot.

Many people buy the 405 for general use with casual wear as I do. But I work in boots on my job. Alden boots are not suitable for the kind of oil puddles I find myself standing in: the welt would sometimes be covered. Rubber soled Wolverines and Redwings with steel shanks (which the 405 also has), are what I really need.

But the 405 is a work boot, and I don't wear a thin dress sock with them, just a thicker crew sock, and I think that the reason may be that so many guys feel like they're swimming in a boot the same size as their dress shoes is because they're wearing socks suitable for a fine dress shoe. And if you want to do that, by all means, consider the next smaller size 405. I mean, the boots are expensive and are certainly suitable to be worn casually, but my feeling is they are sized as any actual work boot. I have several 405 variants with the Truebalance last, with and without the orthopedic heel and a couple pair in shell cordovan, and can't speak to the other lasts offered in the boots or shoes. But the "half size too big" thing disappears for me when I wear a regular work sock.

All that to say, get both feet measured, and order the larger of the sizes of each foot, which to me is the best place to start, for either the boots or an Alden dress shoe.

My 12D dress shoes (not Aldens, I don't have any) are smaller than any of my boots, Alden or otherwise. The boots and shoes are marked for size for a reason, after all.

But these shoes aren't cheap, and it pays to ask a lot of questions.