Haberdasher's in OKC

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Haberdasher's in OKC

Post by AnubisScales »

Does anyone know of any reputable and affordable haberdashers in the Oklahoma City area?
I need to get my Fed IV Deluxe flanged, 'tis looking a little road weary around the brim. And a little more than "it's just character" for my comfort.

Also, what can I expect to pay for just that service?

Regards,
AnubisScales
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Haberdasher's in OKC

Post by jlee562 »

I don't know of any hatters, but if you're on The Fedora Lounge, there is a thread which is nothing but a list of hat stores: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... res-a-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paid $20 for a flange at Paul's Hat Works here in SF, Optimo's reblock services run $35-50, so expect it to be in that range.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Peter's Brothers does good work. I have had hats worked on before and they have always done great work and at very reasonable cost. W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I believe he's trying to stay local, as he lives in Oklahoma City, though Ft. Worth is just down the highway (Peters Brothers).

If you go there, AnubisScales, tell Joe Peters 'Michaelson' said hello, as well as your connection to the family! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

I've been meaning to make it in to Peter's Bros. but I haven't had time the last few occasions I was in Texas. :( That's about a four hour drive from here.
And thanks, jlee, I'll check out that list.

Edit: Thanks to alt+f, I found no mention of Oklahoma.

To google!
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Shorty's Hattery seems to be the one suggested by Fedora lounge, after some more scrounging. I gave them a call and said it should run me between $5 and $10, so I'm actually gonna head over there here in a bit before work to see what can be done!

Before and after pics soon to come, naturally.

Thanks guys! \:D/
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

See what they charge for a cleaning and resizing too.

Regards! Michaelson
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Durn, I just missed you............ that's who I was gonna suggest, since they are about ten minutes from my house.............
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

They were fantastic! The young lady there hit it with a little steam and reshaped the back of the brim (the most problematic part) by hand. She also stuck a hat-jack in there and stretched it a bit for me. All for free! Wonderful customer service, and everyone there was very knowledgeable.

Bought my own hat stretcher and a hat brush, both of which I was painfully devoid of until now.

I'm hitting the front of the brim with a little steam now, so I can flatten it out, and then the band again, so I can let it sit and cool at the slightly larger size.

Shorty's is awesome. If you're in OKC and ever need any hat work done, it's definitely the place to go. I will certainly go back.

Pictures! Sorry for the low quality, my cell phone is all I've got for a camera.
Before:
The back; told you it needed some work! :P
After:
Amazing to me she fixed that by hand. I honestly expected it to need the full flange treatment.

The front of the brim still needs a little work, which I'm doing myself right now. Steamed it and flattening out just the front of the turned down portion of the brim.

So all in all, I spent a little more than I expected, but not on the reshaping. Bought myself a stretcher and brush, which I needed. Still out of there for $30, plus tax.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

And I forgot to ask about how much a real cleaning would be. #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm sure you'll be back. ;)

Looks good! Don't use TOO much steam. Steam can cause shrinkage, which is what is causing your crown to taper some.

Otherwise, looks a lot better!

Keep the stretcher in your hat when you're not wearing it. It will help maintain the size.

Regard! Michaelson