Waiting for Peter Brothers.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Waiting for Peter Brothers.

Post by hoose55 »

I ordered A PB in early December. I was told it could take twelve weeks, but I was hoping there may be some stories of the hat arriving sooner than that? Hopeful, ever so hopeful.
-Jeremy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Waiting for Peter Brothers.

Post by Michaelson »

That may be the fact, my friend. This is their BUSY time of the year......the rodeo circuit is going full blast.

Regards !Michaelson
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

Eeesh. Thanks, for the heads up, Michaelson.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Patience, my friend.
ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke »

I ordered in December several years ago (I stopped by the shop while visiting family). It did take virtually the whole three months. Joe Peters told me that there was some sort of show or convention or something in December where they attend and have a booth and take orders. So they get a ton of orders all at once at that time. That explains the delay.

At that time the entire staff was Joe Peters, a woman (no longer there) to mind customers in the shop, and a young Hispanic fellow who was learning how to make hats. The latter guy had just started, so he couldn't handle most of the tasks. I'm not sure if he's still there, but he seemed exited about the job. I had a chance to talk to him and the woman in detail one morning when I showed up and Joe Peters hadn't arrived with the key to the store yet.

When I later had Jimmy Pierce make me a hat, I was able to speak to him for quite a while because he hand delivered it to my mom's house, where I was again visiting He said that he did some Peters Bros. work on contract to help out (he had worked at Peters Bros. for eight years previously). He said that Joe was not really a hard-core hat maker, but was doing it because he had nobody else at that point.

I think the moral of the story is that if you want to learn how to make hats, you could go to Fort Worth and get hired by Peters Bros. in an instant.

By the way, I love my Peters Bros. hat, and I have re-creased myself it a couple of times. It's wearing very nicely and has softened up very nicely. It wasn't meant to be a Raiders hat, but in retrospect the design features I chose are pretty close to one.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I ordered a hat back in August and it arrived in 6 or 7 weeks, but at the time I ordered they told me 12 weeks was their normal timeline, but late summer is a slow time so it might be shorter. Unfortunately for you they did said late fall/winter is their busiest season.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

Thanks, gentlemen, the information you have given is very reassuring.
ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke, I think I was speaking to the guy that was just hired when you visited the shop. I ordered the Raiders soft rabbit and I can't wait!
thanks again you guys. It started off as a christmas present but will arrive in time for my birthday.
-Jeremy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke wrote: When I later had Jimmy Pierce make me a hat, I was able to speak to him for quite a while because he hand delivered it to my mom's house, where I was again visiting He said that he did some Peters Bros. work on contract to help out (he had worked at Peters Bros. for eight years previously). He said that Joe was not really a hard-core hat maker, but was doing it because he had nobody else at that point.
Exactly how long ago was that? Do you recall? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I'd be interested to know that as well...
ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke »

Michaelson wrote:
ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke wrote: Exactly how long ago was that? Do you recall?
You mean how long ago did Jimmy work for Peters Bros. on staff? I don't really know. He's a reasonably young guy to look at him, but prematurely balding. I bought the hat from him in November 2008. I bought the Peters Bros hat in January 2008.

He had originally been into some sort of retro dancing scene, which got him into vintage clothes and hats, and he hooked up with Peters Bros. from that. He said at that time that he still got tricky creasing (bashing) jobs from Peters Bros. on a freelance basis. When I met him he had been making hats as an independent for a little while, a couple of years at least, first somewhere north of Fort Worth, and then about an hour southwest of Fort Worth.

Anyway, maybe he worked at Peters Bros. circa late 1990s/early 2000s?

When I got my Peters Bros. hat they were mostly a cowboy hat shop that used really thick felt (from Hatco maybe?). I think you can get lightweight hats from them now using Winchester rawbodies. When I met Jimmy he was wearing a hat made from the super-lightweight Winchester felt, the same stuff Vintage Silhouettes offers. I'd love to get a snap-brim fedora made from that light stuff from Jimmy, if only he hadn't vanished. His prices were low (too low, really, Akubra level).
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, we KNOW when Jimmie worked for PB. He made a lot of our hats back then, and I personally met up with him in Ft. Worth when he was working for another company back in 2005.

We'd like to know when you had your one-on-one conversation WITH Jimmie that you mention above in your post. Was it in the past 3 years?

Regards! Michaelson
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

The young Hispanic is Javier...he does good work.