Temple of Doom jacket pics?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Temple of Doom jacket pics?

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any pics of a Wested or Magnoli ToD jacket to share? I'm considering getting one (not sure which, depends on the money I have available) and I'm wondering how they look. I did a search and saw Holt's Magnoli, and a few Nowaks, but not much else. Anyone have one to show? Thanks!
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Temple of Doom jacket pics?

Ooh, one other question, does anyone have a Magnoli in the medium brown color? I'm wondering how that looks, or how light the brown is...
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Here are a few pics of my Wested ToD - be aware that I have heavily distressed it and dyed it darker. As for the cut, I can warmly recommend Wested - they loaned Noel Howard's screen-used jacket to take measurements and make their own replica so it's as SA as it can possibly get.

Image Image
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Dang! That does look good. :-k Thanks for the pics! This is gonna be a hard choice. But I think I'm putting off getting a ToD until a little later in the year so plenty of time to think it over.

Out of curiosity, which leather is that?
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thanks :) It's Lambskin in Authentic brown. If I were to buy another I'd probably go with 'Dark Brown' because I think Authentic is a bit too light compared to stills from the movie. I chose lamb because it's easy to distress and I wanted this one looking well-used:)
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Kredepops, absolutely gorgeous jacket. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awesome gear, also!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I just love the colour of that whip. =P~

You need to post more pictures of yourself in gear on the Full Gear Shots - Post (and Identify) - Your Stuff! thread (if you haven't already). :mrgreen:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Amazing jacket Kredepops...
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:)
atkins
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by atkins »

Beautiful jacket Kredepops ,Those pockets look like scaled down Last Crusade's pocket , right?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

atkins wrote:Beautiful jacket Kredepops ,Those pockets look like scaled down Last Crusade's pocket , right?
No. As he said it's based on the film used jacket which Wested had in their shop to copy. You could say the LC jacket used pockets scaled up from the ToD jacket.
Holt
Craftsman

Superman

Post by Holt »

Excactamundo!
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Canyon wrote:Kredepops, absolutely gorgeous jacket. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awesome gear, also!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I just love the colour of that whip. =P~

You need to post more pictures of yourself in gear on the Full Gear Shots - Post (and Identify) - Your Stuff! thread (if you haven't already). :mrgreen:
Thank you very much! I'll do that ;)

Oh yeah that Del Carpio ToD whip is one of my most prized Indy-related possessions.
tekors wrote:Amazing jacket Kredepops...
Many thanks :D All that distressing really paid off. My wife was going crazy, every night I just squeezed and streched and crumbled and sat on it for a week. I'm a big fan of removing colour with gaffer's tape, that really made it easy to get a nice patina to the leather.

atkins wrote:Beautiful jacket Kredepops ,Those pockets look like scaled down Last Crusade's pocket , right?
Thanks! CM and Holt are so right :) Although I must admit I never thought of it that way. The ToD jacket has small pockets compared to the jackets in the other three movies.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

That distressing looks great, what's your secret? I'm in the process of ordering one of these badboys right now. It's a toss up between Dark lamb or goat. Just need to decide and my orders going in. :-k
ZOLTAR
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

This thread has been helpful... a little too helpful, I went ahead and, after a little more research, decided on a Wested, since they seem to be answering their emails again, and the last jacket I got from them exceeded my expectations... :-k
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:This thread has been helpful... a little too helpful, I went ahead and, after a little more research, decided on a Wested, since they seem to be answering their emails again, and the last jacket I got from them exceeded my expectations... :-k
Great, glad to help, although I'm sure the Magnoli jacket is awesome too, he makes nothing but quality items. Be sure to take some pics and post them here when you get your jacket ;)
Zoltar wrote:That distressing looks great, what's your secret? I'm in the process of ordering one of these badboys right now. It's a toss up between Dark lamb or goat. Just need to decide and my orders going in. :-k
ZOLTAR
Thank you :) I started out using sandpaper on the seams, but it's hard on lamb, so for the large areas I used duct tape, just wrap it up and rip it off slowly, that'll take some of the colour right off (rip it off slowly to take less colour off).
Then rub the areas with brown shoe polish, and you'll get a nice worn patina :)
I also gave it lots of cold showers and let it dry on me, I pushed up the sleeves while it was drying, so they got that wrinkled look.
You can also put it in the tumbledryer with some tennis balls, that'll loosen the leather up. I just bashed it alot, balled it up and put it under the matress all night.
Last edited by Kredepops on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Kredepops wrote:
PsychicsAndSwords wrote:This thread has been helpful... a little too helpful, I went ahead and, after a little more research, decided on a Wested, since they seem to be answering their emails again, and the last jacket I got from them exceeded my expectations... :-k
Great, glad to help, although I'm sure the Magnoli jacket is awesome too, he makes nothing but quality items. Be sure to take some pics and post them here when you get your jacket ;)
Oh, I don't doubt that about the Magnoli, from all I've heard. But, I wouldn't be able to afford more than one of his jackets, with the extra $200+ cost, so I decided I'd rather get something more unique and non-Indy from him - either his Leon Kennedy jacket or something black & completely customized to my designs...
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

You know I just watched TOD the other day again and I never thought I would say that I really like the jacket in that flick......
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Did I sell you that whip? :(
Kredepops wrote:
Canyon wrote:Kredepops, absolutely gorgeous jacket. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you very much! I'll do that ;)

Oh yeah that Del Carpio ToD whip is one of my most prized Indy-related possessions.
tekors wrote:Amazing jacket Kredepops...
Many thanks :D All that distressing really paid off. My wife was going crazy, every night I just squeezed and streched and crumbled and sat on it for a week. I'm a big fan of removing colour with gaffer's tape, that really made it easy to get a nice patina to the leather.

Thanks! CM and Holt are so right :) Although I must admit I never thought of it that way. The ToD jacket has small pockets compared to the jackets in the other three movies.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re:Temple of Doom jacket pics?

Post by Kredepops »

yes, I believe you did :)
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

Sir,
your TOD jacket looks absolutely superb, it could have been pinched from the set. The work you have done on that jacket is very clever and subtle, one of the best TOD's I've seen.

JTW.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thank you so much! That is very kind of you. I've owned three Indy jackets and it's my absolute favorite jacket so far. I think I was really lucky when I distressed it, I've never abused a leather jacket that much before intentionally, but it held up beautifully.

It sits on my Indy mannequin for display, but when spring comes again it's time for me to it wear again.
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

No worries mate,

may I ask a question about the pockets, what are the measurements of the pockets themselves and what is the distance between the bottom of the pocket and the hem of the jacket?

Sincerest thanks,
JTW.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I sincerely do not know HOW I missed these pictures when they were first posted... but Kredepops, please add my name to the list of those VERY impressed with the look of that amazing jacket of yours!
:shock:

I was never even interested in owning a lookalike of the ToD Jacket UNTIL I saw this jacket!
=P~

Job VERY WELL DONE, my friend!
:notworthy:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

(Frankly, between Kredepop's ToD Jacket and the pictures I've seen of jones the whip's LC Jacket, I've lost a lot of drool enjoying how great those things look...)
=P~
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

jones the whip wrote:No worries mate,

may I ask a question about the pockets, what are the measurements of the pockets themselves and what is the distance between the bottom of the pocket and the hem of the jacket?

Sincerest thanks,
JTW.
You may indeed. I hope it's okay if I use the metric system. Across: 14 cm, from top to bottom 15 cm, Distance between the bottom of the pocket and the hem of the jacket: 5.5 cm

Thanks Fox, you're too kind :D. Peter did an awesome job on this jacket. I just told him I wanted a jacket that was 1:1 with the Noel Howard Jacket. I do recommend dark brown though. That way you won't have to dye it darker like I did.
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

I am most grateful for this valuable information. The reason I inquired about the pocket dimensions was that in some ToD jacket pics the pockets seem to vary slightly in size and distance from hem - yours look dead on.

Thanks again,
JTW.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

No problem at all, let me know if I can help with anything else. :)
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

Kredepops wrote:Peter did an awesome job on this jacket. I just told him I wanted a jacket that was 1:1 with the Noel Howard Jacket.
Hi Kredepops - your's is a 1:1 copy of the original, can I ask what the size and sleeve/body lengths are? (If they are posted somewhere, you can just refer me to that post, I'm only asking a quick question). I don't think a 1:1 would fit me, but I'd want one in my size that has the sleeve-body length ratio of the original. I worry about my own specifications being different from the original...
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

It's in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a bit of confusion about the size, Wested said one thing, other boardmembers thought differently. I ended up with ordering a size 42, length 26 sleeves 26. The sleeves were a bit long for me in the beginning, but then I realised that that was perfect, that way I could get the wrinkled sleeve look without ending up with sleeves that were too short. SO order an inch or two longer! in the sleeves is my advice if you want to wrinkle them up.
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

Thanks!

I know what you say about the sleeves - when I got my first Hero (in goat) the sleeves were a bit too long but after I was caught in a rainstorm I wore them dry whilst pushed up and ever since they've been perfect (with set in wrinkles).

My Hero is size 40 with 25 sleeves and 25 body, so that seems scaled down about right. But wasn't the TOD jacket longer in the body than the Raiders? Or was it just baggier?
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Indeed, the ToD jacket was a bit bigger. Read the whole story here: http://www.indygear.com/igjacket-ToD.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

They had alot of trouble with this jacket it seems.