Christmas gift! Does my Wested Goatskin fit?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Christmas gift! Does my Wested Goatskin fit?

Post by The Antiquarian »

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to everyone!

On Christmas Eve, I received a nice Christmas gift from my grandparents; the Wested soft goatskin Raiders of the Lost Ark jacket! Here's a few pictures of how it fits:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0043.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0044.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0048.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0050.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0052.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, here's a pic of the back, which was taken just yesterday. I can recall my jacket being just a bit looser a week ago than now, due to wearing it, so I'm anticipating a little future shrinking too, but not too much.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... at2126.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry for the poor image quality. I only use an iPhone. Does my jacket look like it fits OK? The thing is, I intended to get an off-the-rack jacket in size 40, and I wanted it just slightly loose, which I think this does just fine without being too much (I'm working out, so I'll get some muscles eventually too).
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Christmas gift! Does my Wested Goatskin fit?

Post by CM »

Seems okay to me. As you say, poor photos so it's a bit difficult to be sure.
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

awesome fit! looks great!
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Looks okay to me from those shots.. :TOH:

Ian
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Looks good to me too!
Enjoy your new jacket! :TOH:

Regards
Joe
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Looks like a winner to me!

Regards! Michaelson
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Looks great. You look like you could play the part if they every recast for a new young Indy movie.

Gailen
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I personally always 'yo-yo' about the fit of my jackets, even when I'm told they look fine... :roll:

Ian
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

If it goes around me and zips up, then it fits fine in my books.

Gailen
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

trdaggers wrote:If it goes around me and zips up, then it fits fine in my books.

Gailen
:M: :tup:

Amen, Brother! ;)

Regards! Michaelson
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

Looks fine to me, too. Great looking jacket. Congrats!
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thank you, everyone! I might post another picture or two in the near-future, but thanks for letting me know. Some other folks at a different forum were telling me that the shoulders were loose (different, but worse pictures actually), but it feels ok to me. If I went down another size, I would definitely have to worry about it being possibly too tight; 40r is just right I think. Besides, I plan on working out, and maybe wearing it in the rain a bit, in which case I might experience some shrinking, right?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, but not so much with goatskin as it's more water resistant. I've worn my Expedition 44T goatskin in more than one downpour, and haven't experienced any shrinkage what so ever.

That said, do NOT downsize. As you say, if you bulk up just a little, or even layer with a sweater underneath, a size down will make the jacket TOO tight....and your sleeves will also be too short unless you have a custom made for you.

You're dead on target. Leave it as is and wear it. It will form to you quickly, and you'll not regret your decision.

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M: :tup:
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Great fit. I have a wested in this hide, trust me it will get better and better over time. Cool gift from your grandparents ;)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I think it fits you just fine.
Good choice on the soft goat. :tup:
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Looks pretty good-how does it feel? That's the tell-tale sign of a great jacket.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Michaelson wrote:Looks like a winner to me!

Regards! Michaelson
+1, Looks good to me too.
Mr. T
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. T »

Great lookin' jacket, man. It does actually fit you quite well, in my opinion. I know you'll probably cherish that thing, due to the fact that it came from your grandparents, which is actually pretty cool because it's something you're gonna be able to wear for years, if not decades. From the photos, I'm guessing you're in your late teens, meaning that you might still grow a little bit, too, so don't sweat any extra room in the shoulders right now because I have a feeling that it won't be an issue in a couple of years. As far as water goes, I wouldn't even worry about that stuff. Your jacket's gonna get plenty of character as you wear it over the next few months. Let it age gracefully. The new look can actually be pretty nice and sharp. Anyway, enjoy that jacket. You lucked out. It looks great.
egarcia
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by egarcia »

it looks great. I am looking to buy a wested RoLA in goatskin. Can you tell me a little bit more about the sizing? Do you normally wear 40R jackets?

The jacket and the fit looks great.

The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

egarcia wrote:it looks great. I am looking to buy a wested RoLA in goatskin. Can you tell me a little bit more about the sizing? Do you normally wear 40R jackets?

The jacket and the fit looks great.

I'd like to apologize for being late in responding. However, my jacket is like I said, size 40, although the suit I wear is a size 39r, and it's slightly slim fitting, but not a "skinny suit" like the ones that are popular with teens and many young adults. With regard to my Wested jacket, it's slightly loose in the shoulders and sleeves, but it doesn't look wrong to me, and it fits very comfortably, although the front when I unzip it sticks out a little bit forward. I've been trying to "train" the leather to be pushed back towards my chest and stomach area.

Overall, I would recommend that you get the Wested Raiders jacket in soft goatskin. :TOH:

Here's an updated picture of my jacket:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0243.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Jacket is looking better and better...but dude, smile more. You`re wearing an awesome Indiana Jones jacket for Heaven`s sake! :)
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Gorak wrote:Jacket is looking better and better...but dude, smile more. You`re wearing an awesome Indiana Jones jacket for Heaven`s sake! :)
Thanks! Yeah, you're right. I've got to lose that Vulcan look once in a while. It's certainly my favorite jacket, of the several (only one other leather, a G-1) I own, although I rotate through wearing the others too.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Beautiful jacket. The finish is gorgeous.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

The Antiquarian wrote:Here's an updated picture of my jacket:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... G_0243.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Finally, a clearer picture! Looks good on you! :TOH: